Just gave the Spouse-Unit part of her Christmas gifts

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Just gave the Spouse-Unit part of her Christmas gifts

Post by MurphCID »

I just gave the Spouse Unit part of her new Christmas gifts; a new Vacuum cleaner! The look I got was priceless, as were her comments on the "gift". After the assembly, I took it for a spin. OMG, I was appalled at what our old (28+) vacuum had NOT gotten up. It was worth every cent at Best Buy today.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Just gave the Spouse-Unit part of her Christmas gifts

Post by tenfoot »

The Spouse Unit now knows you can user a vacuum cleaner! Look out - you've just been delegated :Thief Cleaner" :D
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

when my parental-unit used to vacuum they never once thought of aerodynamics or dust particle flow, so any vacuum was a good vacuum. as long as it had one of those round rubber band belts that spun around so fast they created fire with the friction, that's how vacuums are.
can they not eliminate the use of a rubber band in an electrical motor already? :D

ps: although hey give her something else besides a vacuum.
Last edited by trytip on Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I'm sure she'll love it, especially if it comes with an operator!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Moem wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:12 pm I'm sure she'll love it, especially if it comes with an operator!
+1
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Never fear, she has lots of other gifts coming. Although after almost 31 years it is getting somewhat difficult to pick out the perfect gift.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:06 pm Never fear, she has lots of other gifts coming. Although after almost 31 years it is getting somewhat difficult to pick out the perfect gift.
You may not live long enough to see her open the other gifts unless you find a nice pair of diamond earrings
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Hi MurphCID,

You Texans really know how to spoil your wives with Christmas gifts...lol.

Other perfect gift ideas and suggestions just for her, Steam iron and ironing board, no more having to heat the iron on the wood stove, scrub board for washing clothes so she will no longer have to beat the clothes on a rock at the creak, install new hand pump in the kitchen sink so she no longer needs to fetch the water and bucket from outdoors, replace the old ice box with new refridgerator, (they are electric now if you have electricity installed and no longer using the oil lamps)...lol...also new mason jars so she can do much more canning of your favorite foods and preserves...and dont forget the gardening hand tools as stocking stuffers to make her weeding easier in her "victory garden"...lol.

She will love you for all these "labor saving" devices...lol,

DONT take me seriously...lol...im only joking

PS...My family used to own a very old "summer cottage" on "lost Lake" in Groton, Massachusetts that took a very rugged dirt road to get to, that was outfitted just like this when i was a kid, way back when, the other folks around us thought we were getting very modern when we finally got rid of the outhouse for an indoor bathroom...lol

Hopeing you liked the "nostalgia" trip down memory lane through time...lol...DAMIEN
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:06 pm Never fear, she has lots of other gifts coming. Although after almost 31 years it is getting somewhat difficult to pick out the perfect gift.
that is ever so true....
alas, Spouse Unit is now wearing wings

our daughter is now Queen of the household, and we still have trouble figuring out what to get.....
I have to ask if the Magic Pressure Cooker that I thought would be neat, would meet her approval?

uh, no, she does not want to come home from work, and then have to prepare a meal.....
she uses a Crock Pot, and our Thanksgiving meal was a Pork Roast so tender, it just fell apart.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

JeremyB wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:09 pm
You may not live long enough to see her open the other gifts unless you find a nice pair of diamond earrings
Hey it is better than the Thigh-Master I gave her one year!
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

I've always found that pots are most welcome. Especially if they have good copper bottoms.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

on the other hand if my wife bought me a shiny new impact drill made completely out of carbon fiber and a tough 7.0 ah battery i wouldn't mind it at all, too bad it doesn't exist. why is it that when you buy your lady a useful item it's not a thoughtful romantic gift?
if i were you i'd definitely give her that vacuum and something precious inside it. i remember i gave my girl at the time long ago a pack of camel cigarettes (he he) even wrapped up in the cellophane, and she hadn't even hurried to open it thinking it really was a pack of cigarettes. you can imagine the phone call i got when she finally needed a smoke and found a nice ring that fit her finger.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I gave SWMBO a washing machine box filled with all sorts of stuff one year - a few bricks, lots of old newspaper, and a myriad of other "fillers" before she finally got to the new dress at the bottom.

Another year, we had "gone south" for Christmas so I wrapped up her "present" and left it under the tree at the In-Laws home. On Christmas day she unwraps it and dryly announces "a cook book, thaaanks." To which I replied, "yes dear, look at it", "I did", "Really look at it", after bit of back and fro, she finally cottoned on that it was a cook book for the new Kenwood Chef with all the attachments that she had been hinting for for the previous several months. It was sitting at home under our tree.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I also gave her a gift this year that she appreciated: after the biopsy came back positive for the "C" word, they went in, and started cutting, and looks like they got it all. So she gets to have me around for at least another year.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:46 pm I also gave her a gift this year that she appreciated: after the biopsy came back positive for the "C" word, they went in, and started cutting, and looks like they got it all. So she gets to have me around for at least another year.
I wish you a long and healthy life as I know what it means to have your wife coming up with the dreaded C. It was 19 cycles of chemo, using Herceptin and was painfull.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

deepakdeshp wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:53 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:46 pm I also gave her a gift this year that she appreciated: after the biopsy came back positive for the "C" word, they went in, and started cutting, and looks like they got it all. So she gets to have me around for at least another year.
I wish you a long and healthy life as I know what it means to have your wife coming up with the dreaded C. It was 19 cycles of chemo, using Herceptin and was painfull.
It was me, not her, if she came up with the "C" word, I would be completely crushed. I am extremely glad your spouse beat it! I could not imagine life without my Spouse-Unit.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Context: Wife has been chronically ill for 30 years with many serious ailments.

A few years back she was also diagnosed with the "C" word - our response (which was unexpected by the doctors) was "Ha! We haven't tried that one yet!" Obviously we were being tongue in cheek. We were blessed in that they managed to get it all and no Chemo. That was over 10 years ago and , so far it has not returned.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

lsemmens wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:17 pm Context: Wife has been chronically ill for 30 years with many serious ailments.

A few years back she was also diagnosed with the "C" word - our response (which was unexpected by the doctors) was "Ha! We haven't tried that one yet!" Obviously we were being tongue in cheek. We were blessed in that they managed to get it all and no Chemo. That was over 10 years ago and , so far it has not returned.
happy to hear you and spouse unit are able to enjoy more years.

my wife moved on to greener pastures 1/2017 renal failure, diabetes.
took a year, but I am comfortable knowing she is out of pain now.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

trytip wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:53 pm on the other hand if my wife bought me a shiny new impact drill made completely out of carbon fiber and a tough 7.0 ah battery i wouldn't mind it at all, too bad it doesn't exist. why is it that when you buy your lady a useful item it's not a thoughtful romantic gift?
if i were you i'd definitely give her that vacuum and something precious inside it. i remember i gave my girl at the time long ago a pack of camel cigarettes (he he) even wrapped up in the cellophane, and she hadn't even hurried to open it thinking it really was a pack of cigarettes. you can imagine the phone call i got when she finally needed a smoke and found a nice ring that fit her finger.
My wife once mentioned the same 'thoughtful romantic gift' scenario so I decided to get her something really nice.
I picked out a set of diamond earrings that I had seen in the window at the mall.
I really worked hard to get them but in the end It didn't work out--the claw dropped them every time. :P
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I miss the good old days when a wife was a wife.
ditto: after 50 years of marriage :?

Return to “Open Chat”