No bootable devices on dual boot after restore.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
[Jonathan_C_Linux]
Level 1
Level 1

No bootable devices on dual boot after restore.

Post by [Jonathan_C_Linux] »

I was installing wireshark from the packet manager but was unable to use it due ti improper permissions. I attempted to uninstall and remove configuration files to start over but an error occurred, I don’t remember what exactly. I used the standard removal option without issue and attempted to install again. I received an error about damaged packets and decided it best to simply restore from the day before. Timeshift ran through the process normally, but on reboot, it displays “No Bootable Devices”. I launched Mint from USB and both Mint and Windows are present. I have access to all of my files on Windows but cannot access the Mint home folder. Should I start off with boot-repair or try something else?

pbear
Level 12
Level 12

Re: No bootable devices on dual boot after restore.

Post by pbear »

[Jonathan_C_Linux] wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:23 am
I have access to all of my files on Windows but cannot access the Mint home folder.
In Windows or the live session? The former would be normal, the latter would suggest a much bigger problem.
Should I start off with boot-repair or try something else?
I'd run Timeshift again first. Same snapshot, just run it again. By default, reinstalls the bootloader. If still no joy, sure, try boot repair. If that doesn't work, it will generate a report with a bunch if info about your system and config files, then upload it to pastebin. Post a copy of the link here.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

[Jonathan_C_Linux]
Level 1
Level 1

https://pastebin.com/qTMHXN5X
I’m using the live session for all of this. Time shift is only able to view but not use the backup, a bar at the top of the window is displayed saying “Elevated Privilege”.
I tried boot-repair but received an error message saying GPT detected. I made a new unformatted partition with the grub-bios flag as indicated but received the same error
Last edited by [Jonathan_C_Linux] on Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

pbear
Level 12
Level 12

Post by pbear »

Please edit the prior post:

1. Remove the text of the boot repair report. Instead, give a LINK to the pastebin upload.
2. Answer the question in my prior post. Unable to access the Mint folder in Windows or the live session?

[Jonathan_C_Linux]
Level 1
Level 1

When I say I cannot access the files in my home directory, I do not mean that it is completely inaccessible. The only two things in the home directory are "README.txt" and "Access-Your-Private-Data.desktop". When I use the "ecryptfs-mount-private" in the terminal, I get this: "ERROR: Encrypted private directory is not setup properly". When I double click on "Access-Your-Private-Data.desktop", I have tried both "Launch Awnyway" and "Mark as Trusted" to no effect.

pbear
Level 12
Level 12

Post by pbear »

Thank you for editing the earlier post as requested.

Notice you have two separate problems: no bootloader and corrupted home folder encryption. Not obvious to me how either was caused by restoring a Timeshift snapshot. The difficulty restoring from a live session, though, suggests you used Timeshift to backup home? Is that correct?

The bootloader problem is even more puzzling. For some reason, boot repair seems unable to recognize the EFI partition at /dev/nvme0n1p2, even though the report says it's properly flagged as boot/esp. Please boot the live session, run sudo parted --list (notice two dashes), copy the output (select with your mouse and right-click) and paste into the thread. Alternatively (no need for both), it you know how to do and post a screenshot of the NVMe drive's partition table as shown in GParted, that actually would be more useful.

[Jonathan_C_Linux]
Level 1
Level 1

/dev/nvme0n1p2 from Gparted
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-12-17 01-21-55.png
Screenshot from 2019-12-17 01-21-55.png (29.39 KiB) Viewed 426 times

pbear
Level 12
Level 12

Post by pbear »

Excellent that you can do it as a screenshot, but what I wanted was partition information for the whole device, not just that partition. Now that I think of it, also include the device information. So, open GParted; expand to full screen; select the NVMe device; go to View > Device Information; tick the box. What you end up with should look something like this (my system):
GPartedFullInfo.png
Please post the corresponding screenshot for your system.

Also, what's the story about Timeshift and home folder backups?

[Jonathan_C_Linux]
Level 1
Level 1

First screenshot is of GParted. The second screenshot is of two unknown snapshots. They were not present before the restoration and I don't believe Timeshift auto-generates snapshots in a live session. The third screenshot is of the two snapshots that were present before the restoration, the latter of which is the one I used. When I double click or right click the the snapshot, it is treated as a normal folder, with no apparent option for restoration.

I believe the Home folder was excluded from snapshots as normal, this was a recent reinstall and that hadn't been changed yet. Most files in the folder were backed up either on USB or servers, the only ones not were pictures that can be tracked down and re-downloaded from their sources. The recovery effort is primarly because I have encountered a "No Bootable Devices" error before and would like to find a solution that doesn't involve reinstalling two OSs and their respective programs.
Attachments
1.png
2.png
3.png

pbear
Level 12
Level 12

Post by pbear »

Hmm, I don't see anything amiss. Only thing I can think to try is installing the bootloader manually. Not optimistic will work, but maybe it will throw an error which hints at the underlying problem. Let's do this with chroot. (Sounds like you've been around the block a few times, so maybe you've done this before; if not, just follow the steps.) Boot the live session (don't mount any partitions). Open Terminal. Run apt install grub-efi-amd64 (it's on the ISO, so no internet connection needed, but has to be installed manually). Now run the following commands, one line at a time (use copy-and-paste):

Code: Select all

sudo mount /dev/nvmeOn1p5 /mnt
sudo mount /dev/nvmeOn1p2 /mnt/boot/efi
for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt$i; done
sudo chroot /mnt
grub-install /dev/nvmeOn1
update-grub
exit
for i in /sys /proc /dev/pts /dev; do sudo umount /mnt$i; done
sudo umount /mnt/boot/efi 
sudo umount /mnt
FYI, the third line is merely a compact way of binding mount points. It's the equivalent of four lines in the form sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev, etc. The third line from the end is the same thing in reverse, i.e., sudo umount /mnt/sys, etc.

If it goes through without comment, try rebooting, obviously. If not, copy the entire session (View > Select All, then View > Copy) and paste here using code tags (the </> button above the text entry window). Good luck.

[Jonathan_C_Linux]
Level 1
Level 1

Partial success! Mint now boots upon startup, but Windows is still not shown in the UEFI boot menu. The windows files are still accessible through Mint.

pbear
Level 12
Level 12

Post by pbear »

Try running sudo update-grub (in the installed system, not chroot).

pbear
Level 12
Level 12

Post by pbear »

Been thinking about this. In light of the recurring nature of the problem, I'm going to suggest you consider switching to rEFInd as your boot manager. rEFInd was developed by Rod Smith, mainly as a better-behaved and more flexible alternative to Grub for dual boot systems. The app is supported by an extensive website. See, e.g., EFI bootloaders; Download; Installation.

I'm not suggesting you jump right in. Rather, I suggest you create an emergency boot USB drive which will simultaneously (i) allow you to relax because you will have confidence the system can be booted if Grub has another one of its moods and (ii) let you test rEFInd to see whether you like it before deciding to go "all in." Importantly, in the procedure I'm about to describe, rEFInd is installed only to the USB drive, not the internal, so the existing bootloaders aren’t modified in any way. Also, rEFInd takes very little space, so the USB drive can be shared with something else, e.g., Timeshift snapshots. Or, if you have an old 2.0 flash drive sitting around, you could use that. Speed doesn't matter much in this context.

If you want to give this a try, here's what you do. With GParted (from Device menu), create a new partition table for the USB drive; format GPT. From Partition > New, create a 200 MB partition at beginning of drive; format Fat32. Create another partition (or two) with the remaining space and format however you like. Click to Apply. Right-click Fat32 partition, select Manage Flags and tick boot/esp (selecting one will automatically select both). When done, the partition table should look something like this:

Go to the rEFInd download page; download “binary zip file” (currently, version 0.11.4). Open File Manager, navigate to Download folder; extract (unzip) package; close File Manager. Open Terminal; navigate to folder with unzipped files, e.g., cd Downloads/refind-bin-0.11.4/.

Install rEFInd to target USB drive with the following command (use copy and paste): ./refind-install --alldrivers --usedefault /dev/sdx1 (replace x to match the target); enter sudo password when prompted. Notice the period before /refind-install, without which the command won’t work.

Boot from the USB drive. You should get a rEFInd boot menu listing all installed operating systems on the computer, including Windows. Toggle with arrow keys to select, then Enter to boot. rEFInd will hand you off to Mint (or Windows) and disappear. To access backup kernels (as you would with the advanced boot option in Grub), press F2, Insert or Tab; use up and down arrow keys to select, then Enter to boot.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Billy60
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Billy60 »

Good afternoon
So I have done as you mentioned and now have a USB key with a small Partition for Rfind and have put the latest Mint Tricia on the other partition EX4.
If I have to reinstall Mint with that key how will the system behave ? it will read theFat32 and launch Rfind and then it will not see the Mint OS since it will not have been installed first.
So in othe rwords, Rfind can be used to restore a broken Bootloader, but can it be used to help install a final bootloader ? or will I have to everytime use the Rfind Usbkey for its bootloader content ?
Thanks

pbear
Level 12
Level 12

Re:

Post by pbear »

Billy60 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:15 am
So I have done as you mentioned and now have a USB key with a small Partition for Rfind and have put the latest Mint Tricia on the other partition EX4.
Let's start with, are you the OP with a different handle or a different person? If the latter, your question should be a separate thread.

While we tease that out, the short answer to your question is that you can't have two bootable things on the USB drive. The BIOS/UEFI has no way to sort that out. Maybe rEFInd can do it, but I've never tested that and it's not what I had in mind above.

Return to “Installation & Boot”