HP printer will not actually print SOLVED

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pensioner77
Level 3
Level 3

HP printer will not actually print SOLVED

Post by pensioner77 »

My PC is partitioned between Mint 17 and Win 7 and my Hp printer ris set up for wireless printing. After I change my broadband and the tec guy set everything up I cannot get anything to transfer to the printer. the tec guy actually printed a test sheet on both partitions but seemed to use his mobile phone. When I try to print the printer starts to react but instead of printing the blue wireless looight and the on/off switch start flashing followed by the resume light.
At my age (88) and partially sighted I rely on being able to print letters ,address envelopes etc.,on my PC
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Re: HP printer willnot actually print

Post by brian_p »

Hello pensioner77,

You really need to say what your printer model is to make progress on this.
--
Brian.
pensioner77
Level 3
Level 3

Re: HP printer will not actually print

Post by pensioner77 »

Sorry, it is a officejet pro 8100
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

pensioner77 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:16 am Sorry, it is a officejet pro 8100
It would be useful to have the output of

Code: Select all

lpinfo -v
--
Brian.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have had to change my WiFi router twice.

Each time, it was a super PITA to get the Wireless printers working again.

On my printers, I had to verify that they were indeed logged into the WiFi router.
Apparently the Tech did that, as he used his cellphone to print out something.

So, Step 1 is done.

Now, your Mint 17 and Win7 OS's are going to have to delete the old printer setups completely.

Now, in Mint, do this.
Menu / Administrator / Printers

delete the printer shown currently.

Add New Printer.

follow the steps and hopefully, it will work for you.

IF, you are in the USA, and need more help, send me a Private Message and I will give you my phone number.
We can then use TeamViewer to allow me to help you.

.I am 77 and often times, use a big 8 inch magnifying glass to see stuff..... PITA

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
pensioner77
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pensioner77 »

I soory BrianP but my IT skillls are limited and made worse by eyesight problems.
Azgil1500 I did as you suggested but when trying to print a test page again exactly
tr same result except this time the flashing indicators stopped and it registered out of paper even as about 30 sheets were in the tray.
Thank you for offer of a phpne call but I am in the UK.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Just as a quick check, It seems that occasionally when I apply updates it changes my printer status to disabled. Click on your printers in the status bar and open the printers dialog right click on the printer and ensure that the "enabled" button is clicked.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoeBingo »

Is this just a problem with Mint or both Mint and Win7?
pensioner77
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pensioner77 »

iIt affects both OS and it is enabled
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoeBingo »

pensioner77 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:14 am iIt affects both OS and it is enabled
Since it doesn't work with either operating system, I think the first thing to do is try and verify the printer is working properly. That verification can be done via the printer control panel. Once the printer is powered on ... press and hold the control panel "Cancel" button for 3 seconds. That should initiate a "print test page" on the 8100. Here's a video demonstration ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiUeXVaAYz8
pensioner77
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pensioner77 »

I followed the suggestion of printing a test page but with the same result. I am thinking that the problem is mechanical That is a failiar of the printer to pick up paper from the tray.
Thank you everyone for your support.l
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

pensioner77 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:59 am I followed the suggestion of printing a test page but with the same result. I am thinking that the problem is mechanical That is a failiar of the printer to pick up paper from the tray.
Not working with either operating system could, of course, be an indication that the device is not connected by wireless to the network. The output of

lpinfo -v
I asked for earlier would give some indication of that. You could execute the command in a terminal and at least say whether it includes a line with dnssd or socket in it.
--
Brian.
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoeBingo »

brian_p wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:22 pm
pensioner77 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:59 am I followed the suggestion of printing a test page but with the same result. I am thinking that the problem is mechanical That is a failiar of the printer to pick up paper from the tray.
Not working with either operating system could, of course, be an indication that the device is not connected by wireless to the network. The output of

lpinfo -v
I asked for earlier would give some indication of that. You could execute the command in a terminal and at least say whether it includes a line with dnssd or socket in it.
He tried printing a test page directly from the printer control panel and could not. Don't think that has anything at all to do with wireless or operating systems. Do you? Should have been able to print a test page from the control panel without a router or computer or anything ... just plugged in and loaded with paper and ink. Me thinks there is something wrong with the printer.

Besides, "When I try to print the printer starts to react but instead of printing the blue wireless looight and the on/off switch start flashing followed by the resume light." and "... this time the flashing indicators stopped and it registered out of paper even as about 30 sheets were in the tray." Sounds to me like wireless comms are good to go, the printer was trying to print but there was a printer malfunction. That's why I suggested testing off-line ... and the printer failed.

Repair or replace printer
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

new printers are cheaper than the cartridges for my Laser Printer....
it was a Lexmark dual tray business model, loved it, Envelope Feeder,
bottom tray held a full Ream of paper.

but, $175 for a new ink cartridge?
bought a new Samsung laser printer for $59 and let the fancy business model go. :(
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
pensioner77
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pensioner77 »

Thank you again everyone the answer was simple in the end. I had checked the printer from the top that is the car5tridge access but when I removed the tray and manually felt around I found some paper stuck when removed all ok .
JoeBingo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoeBingo »

I'm happy for you that you were able to sort it out Pensioner77. Well done and it must be quite a relief. I wish I could tell you what you might try to ensure it doesn't happen again. Probably some accumulation on the rollers and paper path but may not be easy to get to for cleaning with alcohol swabs or damp cloth.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”