[Solved, Workaround found] Chromium browser always crashes!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rademes
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved, Workaround found] Chromium browser always crashes!

Post by Rademes »

Good day!
Latest Chromium browser update was the worst update I have ever experienced. Browser started to crash very often. Also YouTube videos became impossible to watch (see attached video). Also it started to flicker. I have never experienced such bad behavior ever since this update. I am just shocked! What`s the matter?
Is it possible to fall back to previous version?
Chromium version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NilMVW ... sp=sharing
My computer: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VOS_GN ... sp=sharing
Restore session after crash: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1defvZg ... sp=sharing
YouTube video impossible to watch: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-quojo ... sp=sharing
P.s It crashed 8 times while I was writing this post!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Rademes
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Chromium browser always crashes!

Post by Rademes »

Also, how can I hold the package, to prevent its further updates using sudo apt-get update?
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Same problems with Vivaldi (Linux only...a sudden crash) - but for some reasons not with Opera! Strange...
h0w4rd

Post by h0w4rd »

The same problem here. Just upgraded Linux Mint to 19.3 and both vivaldi and chromium keeps crashing :(

dmesg shows a lot of lines like this

Code: Select all

[  316.209106] vivaldi-bin[5275]: segfault at 49b ip 000056118069c3b6 sp 00007ffe1f3c11c0 error 6 in vivaldi-bin[56117c48a000+72c3000]
and this

[  366.120791] VizCompositorTh[5637]: segfault at 5ff ip 00005627206e83b6 sp 00007f44fde4e040 error 6 in vivaldi-bin[56271c4d6000+72c3000]
Vivaldi and Chromium crashes after a minute with one final line:

[  514.706016] traps: Chrome_IOThread[5261] trap int3 ip:564fee129f0d sp:7f2160e65770 error:0 in vivaldi-bin[564feba75000+72c3000]
Rademes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rademes »

Performed some search. Looks like my and other posters bug is similar to these reported bugs:
https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/22559033?hl=en
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=945920
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=946648
So this bug affects a lot of users and not only Ubuntu/Mint users. It is something wrong with Chromium itself. Based on this, I suggest not to update to version Chromium 79.0.xxxx.xx. Stick with version 78 until this bug will be fixed.
But the question remains: How can I hold the package, to prevent its further updates using sudo apt-get update?
I will restore my system using Timeshift, and I do not want Chromium to be updated.
h0w4rd

Post by h0w4rd »

I was googling as well.
I killed ESET NOD32 Antivirus and now it is OK.
Rademes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rademes »

Well, that is not a proper solution. I need antivirus protection, because that PC is my main work PC.

P.S. I am writing now from my second Notebook with Chromium 78.0.3904.108, which works very well.
Last edited by Rademes on Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
h0w4rd

Post by h0w4rd »

I know, it's a temporary solution. At least I can work now.
I will send the report to ESET, they must fix it.
BTW I still have ClamAV :)
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

no problems with vivaldi here. don't have chromium anymore. used vivaldi to replace it. just upgraded this computer to 19.3 and vivaldi had an update this morning also.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Rademes wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:20 am ... I suggest not to update to version Chromium 79.0.xxxx.xx. Stick with version 78 until this bug will be fixed....
That's going to make you so hackable it's ridiculous. Seriously, you're just begging to get hacked using a deprecated browser. Try firfox or something else instead.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

OK - Vivaldi does not only kill my virtual Linuxii (Mint Cinnamon & Xfce, Deepin) also the VirtualBox on Windows 10 will be freeze immediately.
Rademes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rademes »

OK, I have found the way to put package on hold.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/18654/h ... ic-package
I have held following packages:

denis@ACER-E1:~$ sudo apt-mark showhold 
[sudo] пароль для denis: 
chromium-browser
chromium-browser-l10n
chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra
pepperflashplugin-nonfree
h0w4rd

Post by h0w4rd »

I had to go back to the kernel 4.15, because I discovered my Vivaldi keeped freezing .... from time to time it was 10sec frozen... it wasn't crashing, just freezing....after deactivating ESET Antivirus.
Now suddenly everything is ok, but I have a very bad feeling about it.
Rademes
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [Solved, Workaround found] Chromium browser always crashes!

Post by Rademes »

OK, I have solved it. At least temporary workaround.
On my notebook, which fortunately has not been updated, I have put on hold packages:
chromium-browser
chromium-browser-l10n
chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra
pepperflashplugin-nonfree

using apt and Synaptic package manager.
How to put packages on hold is described here.
On my main work PC, I simply purged those packages, because I have Firefox preinstalled.
Currently, I would not recommend to install or update to Chromium 79.x.xxxx.xx, and stick with 78.
Hope this bug will be fixed soon.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, guys.

I really fail to understand the logic behind your approach. You seriously lock down Chromium on an older version, having known vulnerabilties, just because you insist on using this snake oil stuff like ESET in your systems?
Antivirus products, inherited from Windows, are unlikely to protect you from anything on Linux. They do not even really protect you on Windows. They only sell you a false feeling of being protected.
But well, everyone can do as he pleases.

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
Rademes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rademes »

karlchen wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:48 am I really fail to understand the logic behind your approach. You seriously lock down Chromium on an older version, having known vulnerabilties, just because you insist on using this snake oil stuff like ESET in your systems?
Chromium crashes on systems without ESET Antivirus installed too...
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=946648
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=945920
I need antivirus to be installed on my PC to check flash drives an removable HDDs.
Last edited by Rademes on Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Rademes.
Rademes wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:10 pmChromium crashes on systems without ESET Antivirus installed too...
[...]
I need antivirus to be installed on my PC to check flash drives an removable HDDs.
  1. Seems I had not really understood Chromium crashes occurred on systems as well, where no antivirus daemon was active all the time.
  2. Is a resident antivirus really a must? Or would an on demand scanner do the job as well?
  3. I admit that there were times when I used Windows 7 at home actively and regularly. Whenever I had downloaded some Windows software installation package on a Linux system, I would use a virus scanner to check the downloaded packages as well. I used an on-demand scanner for this purpose. An on-demand scanner is unlikely to collide with any other Linux software like a browser, because it will be loaded into memory only at runtime.
Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
Rademes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rademes »

Hello Karl!
karlchen wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:09 pm [*]Is a resident antivirus really a must? Or would an on demand scanner do the job as well?
In general, on demand scanner is enough for Linux. I enable resident antivirus on my notebook only when I browse unknown/suspicious websites. On my main work PC I use resident antivirus always, because that PC has enough power to handle web browsing with active resident antivirus. (And because I have paid for it)
Sorry, I have not tested Chromium 79 behavior with disabled ESET resident antivirus or completely without ESET Antivirus.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... html#ID1.1
b. Antivirus introduces a dangerous vulnerability
Furthermore, antivirus (AV) software sometimes even actively endangers your system: Because AV has by definition high permissions on the system and because it's often inadequately protected against hacking.... This makes AV software an ideal target for hackers.

Antivirus applications have been designed to read and open as many file types as possible. Because every kind of file can theoretically contain a virus. Unlike ordinary applications, which can only read and open certain specific file types. For example: word processors can usually only open document related files, and no mp3 music files. For media players the reverse is true.

Because antivirus can read and open everything, and actually does precisely that during a scan, its potential vulnerability (attack surface) is much bigger. And therefore also its attraction as target for people with malicious intentions. That's not just theory; more about that at the end of section 2 on this page.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Concerning chromium/chrome as well as other chromium based browsers that have the "79" version that are freezing/crashing, Has anyone here read this thread im posting below concerning this problem???

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=307061&p=1731082#p1731082

Return to “Software & Applications”