Gloria boots to a black screen

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
snydley

Gloria boots to a black screen

Post by snydley »

I've had Felicia and Vista dual booting from my Toshiba Satellite X205-SLi4 laptop for some time now, everything has worked great. Awhile back when Gloria became available I installed it to try to triple boot. The install was successful, (as far as I know, no error messages were shown), but when I try to boot Gloria, the boot screen appears and if I select any of the Gloria choices the boot continues with the progress bar and the mouse pointer, then when finished instead of the desktop appearing all that appears is a black screen and mouse pointer, which will move when I move the mouse. Is this a video card compatibility problem? Does anyone know how to fix this? Should I try to reinstall over it?
If all else fails is there a way to remove it and go back to the dual boot setup with Felicia & Vista?
Thanks,
Snyde
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Gloria boots to a black screen

Post by Husse »

Intel graphics by any chance?
Bot into recovery mode and try the fix X option in there
This is a problem with the graphics driver
snydley

Post by snydley »

The graphics are:
• PCI-ExpressTM x16 graphics subsystem, featuring:
® ®
o NVIDIA SLITM Dual GeForce 8600M GT, 512MB GDDR3
discrete graphics memory, plus up to 255MB dynamically
®
allocated shared graphics memory using NVIDIA
TurboCacheTM technology.
• Total Available Graphics memory 767MB

I tried the xfix option, it didn't help. Is there possibly a driver for this somewhere? If not what should I do? If Gloria isn't gonna work on this machine I'd like to remove it completely and just use Felicia. How do I do this?
Thanks for the help,
Snyde
Husse

Post by Husse »

nvidia....
That shared memory thing is no good - do you have more than 2GB memory?
Some nvidia have a problem with that
You could try to boot the live CD and in the installed Mint (of course) make a change
Find /etc/X11/xorg.conf and edit it - you need to be root - right click in the folder is probably the simplest way
In that file find
Section "Device"
add
Driver "vesa"
in the section
At this stage there is only one such section
You get crappy video but I think it will work and you can then install the restricted driver
snydley

Post by snydley »

Husse wrote:nvidia....
That shared memory thing is no good - do you have more than 2GB memory?
Some nvidia have a problem with that
You could try to boot the live CD and in the installed Mint (of course) make a change
Find /etc/X11/xorg.conf and edit it - you need to be root - right click in the folder is probably the simplest way
In that file find
Section "Device"
add
Driver "vesa"
in the section
At this stage there is only one such section
You get crappy video but I think it will work and you can then install the restricted driver
It's got 2G of memory. I know about the shared memory thing,(generally speaking, not with Linux Mint specifically). The thing is, it works flawlessly with Felicia and Vista, I'm writing this using Firefox and Felicia. This is my 1st "go 'round" with Linux, and I really like Mint.
Another problem I found is, when I checked the "Partition Mangler",err Manager, I see that Felicia is on my 2nd hard drive as an ext3 file system at /dev/sb1 and is 140G in size, 132G remaining. Gloria is ext3 at /dev/sb6 and is 2.3G in size with 68M remaining. I installed Gloria a couple months ago, after using Felicia for a long time. I evidently didn't resize the partition properly, or let the Partition manager do it automatically and that's what it came up with. I would really like to give it more space on that hard drive, or reinstall it and give it more space that way. Can I boot the Live cd, run the partition manager and resize things, or do I need to delete that partition and start over.
Although if I can get the vesa driver to work I could boot to Gloria, resize Felicia, then boot to Felicia and resize Gloria, I think.
Where do I get the Nvidia restricted driver?
I'll work on the video thing and go from there.
Thanks for all your help!
Snyde
Husse

Post by Husse »

Gloria is ext3 at /dev/sb6 and is 2.3G in size with 68M remaining.
That's it - it looks too small and there may be too little remaining
Delete the content and resize and start afresh - first save anything worth saving of course
The restricted driver is what the Hardware drivers tool (jockey) offers you - or to be correct any driver that is proprietary
snydley

Post by snydley »

Husse wrote:
Delete the content and resize and start afresh - first save anything worth saving of course
The restricted driver is what the Hardware drivers tool (jockey) offers you - or to be correct any driver that is proprietary
Ok, here goes nothin' then. :-)
Wish me luck, I'll report back,
Snyde
snydley

Post by snydley »

Husse wrote:
SUCCESS!!!! Gloria works great now!!! Must be that particular partition was just too small for Gloria. I must have originally had the Live CD "automatically" install using the available space left on the drive and 2.3G was all there was left.
I booted the Live cd, started the partition manager, deleted the Gloria partition, and then resized the Felicia partition,(both on the same drive), and freed up 110G that was part of the Felicia install but not being used. I was able to resize Felicia to 40G, made another 40G partition for Gloria, and have 80G left that I plan to use to install Windows 7 RC on. I then installed Gloria, it found my wifi router then it prompted me to download and install the restrictive drivers for the video, so I did and everything went well. Now to run the package manager and finallize the install.
Thanks for all the help!! Eventually I want to copy my Thunderbird email and address book, and my Firefox bookmarks and remove Felicia altogether to free up the space on the drive. I don't need 2 different versions of Linux Mint on this computer.
Look for more posts from me, I'll need help with that stuff. :shock:
Snyde

Return to “Installation & Boot”