Linux Mint 19.3 'Tricia' What are your First Impressions?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Linux Mint 19.3 'Tricia' What are your First Impressions?

Post by absque fenestris »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:21 pm GIMP works in any OS, no need to switch to any other OS to use it.
Well, if you know where to get a new set of modified icons and if you also know where to place them, then - Yes, it works very well in Linux Mint...
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

Hi all

The only way I can get Drawing to crop is to click on the crop icon and then play around with the numbers in the bottom bar. An interesting if ,so far, annoying 'feature', that I may have a play-around with - but there again, may not.

Jon

EDIT to change 'it' to 'Drawing', to make things a bit clearer
Last edited by dorsetUK on Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

absque fenestris wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:55 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:21 pm GIMP works in any OS, no need to switch to any other OS to use it.
Well, if you know where to get a new set of modified icons and if you also know where to place them, then - Yes, it works very well in Linux Mint...
I had trouble with the monochrome default set, but there is another default set that is much easier for me to work with:
gimpicons.png

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

dorsetUK wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:58 am Hi all

The only way I can get it to crop is to click on the crop icon and then play around with the numbers in the bottom bar. An interesting if ,so far, annoying 'feature', that I may have a play-around with - but there again, may not.

Jon
Yes, I saw the function after read your description. But in a graphics and drawing program?
The same way it does my beloved Mirage, which is also a really fast picture viewer. But it is considered obsolete... :shock:
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Moem wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:06 am
absque fenestris wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:55 am
I had trouble with the monochrome default set, but there is another default set that is much easier for me to work with:
There is the problem with high-resolution monitors: GIMP 2.8 can't do this, the original icons are only visible with a magnifying glass. That means, you tinker with the delivered version or you get the AppImage of version 2.10 where the problem is solved...
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

absque fenestris wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:15 am ... But in a graphics and drawing program? ...
Hi absque fenestris

Yep - it rather confused me as well, but hey ho!

Jon

EDIT - Sorry, I'm still rambling on about 'Drawing'
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

absque fenestris wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:29 am There is the problem with high-resolution monitors: GIMP 2.8 can't do this, the original icons are only visible with a magnifying glass. That means, you tinker with the delivered version or you get the AppImage of version 2.10 where the problem is solved...
Yeah, I have the Flatpak, it's also 2.10. It's the first version of Gimp that feels usable to me, rather than obscure and intimidating.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

absque fenestris wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:56 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:49 am I have not found 'Drawing' to be useful at all.
Can I understand your comment as that Drawing is superfluous? BTW: the Cropping command in Drawing has a bug - at least at my device.
After I made that post, I brought up Drawing again.

I imported an image, then I tried to crop it, and that failed, making an attempt to export the cropped image futile.

I have used GIMP for years, and it works flawlessly, I can use the kybd shortcuts quickly, and not have to use a mouse to find a button. I hate using a mouse for frivolous things.

With GIMP, I draw a rectangle, Alt-I and then 'I', then Shift-Cntl-E and I am done.
Control Q, tab, enter and back to work at something else.

All of that takes about 3 or 4 seconds.....

IMO, Drawing is no where near ready for Prime time, it should have been fleshed out with a Beta version long before it was pushed into 19.3
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Moem wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:32 am
absque fenestris wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:29 am There is the problem with high-resolution monitors: GIMP 2.8 can't do this, the original icons are only visible with a magnifying glass. That means, you tinker with the delivered version or you get the AppImage of version 2.10 where the problem is solved...
Yeah, I have the Flatpak, it's also 2.10. It's the first version of Gimp that feels usable to me, rather than obscure and intimidating.
Well yes! Flatpak - I had a very tendentious discussion in this forums, which still makes me shudder today. Deleting Flatpak is my very first "official" action: it flies away...
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Moem wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:18 am
absque fenestris wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:56 am the Cropping command in Drawing has a bug - at least at my device.
Is it a bug or do neither of us understand how to use it? I can't make it crop no matter what. It seems to... zoom?
I just took a look. It's both. You can crop - the zoomed view is what the end-result will be - but it's bugged in that it does not read the cursor position correctly. Besides, the author was trying to be cute and reinvent the wheel, but has since seen the error of his ways and reworked the zoom and crop features.

That doesn't help you with the old version that Clem added to Mint (which has tons of other bugs as well btw), but in the current version it looks like this (the author is distributing a flatpak, although I built from source since I don't use flatpaks), you can just drag the borders to crop:

But anyway, I agree, not the best choice of tool, and certainly not in the old version in the Mint repos.
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

Hi all.

Cropping in Drawing. EDIT gm10 beat me to it!

When in GIMP and I want to crop something out of a photo I select what I want to crop. Drawing doesn't like that idea, what it wants you to do is to click on the Crop icon then select the edge of the photo and drag that to where you want to crop and then do the same from the bottom of the photo and then go to Options and Apply.

What a kerfuffle.

Jon
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

absque fenestris wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:45 am Well yes! Flatpak - I had a very tendentious discussion in this forums, which still makes me shudder today. Deleting Flatpak is my very first "official" action: it flies away...
Fair enough, how about a PPA instead? https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgulas ... buntu/gimp

Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

gm10 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:49 am the author was trying to be cute and reinvent the wheel, but has since seen the error of his ways and reworked the zoom and crop features.
:roll: He can stick this version where the sun don't shine. And it's impossible to search for on the intarwebz, because of the 'cute' name.

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I just don't like Flatpaks, they are NOT intuitive, and are wasteful of disk space.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
BartSr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BartSr »

I installed it on a bootable stick and after that on my machine with Windows and 19.2 on it, expecting it would replace the 19.2 version. But instead of that, I saw 18.3 added! So what to do now?
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

About Drawing: Too bad for a program and its developer - was there any time pressure or other stress?

To Tricia Cinnamon I can only say: I'm delighted.
The optical problems (Icons) have to do with advancing technology. 25 years ago 72 dpi was the standard in monitor resolution. My small, cute laptop brings it up to 260 dpi. Somehow understandable that this bandwidth creates problems.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

absque fenestris wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:29 am
There is the problem with high-resolution monitors: GIMP 2.8 can't do this, the original icons are only visible with a magnifying glass. That means, you tinker with the delivered version or you get the AppImage of version 2.10 where the problem is solved...
??
I am using 2.8 GIMP, and the icon on the Panel looks okay to me.
I am using a 17" HiDef laptop and initially, all the icons were too small for 78 y/o eyes to view them.

Code: Select all

Machine:   Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: TUF Gaming FX705GM_FX705GM v: 1.0 serial: <root required> 
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: FX705GM v: 1.0 serial: <root required> UEFI: American Megatrends v: FX705GM.301 
           date: 09/21/2018 
But, the folks here on this forum helped me fix that.

GIMP.png

But, I do NOT use any of the Side Panel extensions in GIMP,
I use it for cropping and scaling, and changing image formats.
That I can do with only the center GIMP app.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Moem wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:53 am
absque fenestris wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:45 am Well yes! Flatpak - I had a very tendentious discussion in this forums, which still makes me shudder today. Deleting Flatpak is my very first "official" action: it flies away...
Fair enough, how about a PPA instead? https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgulas ... buntu/gimp
No PPA. I stay with an AppImage. I have modified GIMP 2.8 and now both versions run.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:05 am
absque fenestris wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:29 am
??
That's not what we are talking about. It's about the tool icons inside the program itself.

absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:05 am
??
I am using a 17" HiDef laptop and initially, all the icons were too small for 78 y/o eyes to view them.

Machine:   Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: TUF Gaming FX705GM_FX705GM v: 1.0 serial: <root required> 
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: FX705GM v: 1.0 serial: <root required> UEFI: American Megatrends v: FX705GM.301 
           date: 09/21/2018 
But, the folks here on this forum helped me fix that.

But, I do NOT use any of the Side Panel extensions in GIMP,
I use it for cropping and scaling, and changing image formats.
That I can do with only the center GIMP app.
17" HiDef does not say anything specific. You have to measure the width of your monitor in inches and then see what inxi -G outputs. Then you divide the indicated number of pixels by the measured width and have the resolution in dpi per inch. Öhhm - ppi (pixel per inch) of course...

ms@ms:~$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: VMware SVGA II Adapter driver: vmwgfx v: 2.15.0.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: vmware unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa 
           resolution: 3000x1790~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: SVGA3D; build v: 2.1 Mesa 19.0.8 
As the screen has 3000 pixels and a measured width of 11.5 inch > 3000 : 11.5 = 260.8696 - if the Mint Calculator is correct.
Last edited by absque fenestris on Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”