Random

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
blevo
Level 2
Level 2

Random

Post by blevo »

what? oh. I'm typing. anyone else like random? I'm a fancier. So I was wondering if it is possible to:

setup GRUB (I guess) so one could boot into whatever system fate chose.

What do you think? And how would one go about doing that ya think?

cool

thankyou internet, and Goodnight from the az.

PS. If you didn't understand this post please ask your question so I can explain it better to you (if I find the time).
PPS. You see I'm not a fan(cier) of typing. So...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
skippingdiscman

Re: Random

Post by skippingdiscman »

If you're referring to running a multiple OS box and using the GRUB loader to choose between different OS's upon boot-up, this forum should point you in the right direction.
http://mintguides.blogspot.com/2008/08/ ... 5-and.html

I'm running Linux Mint 6, Windows XP, and 98 all on the same 160G drive using GRUB as my boot loader. Just make sure that you leave enough drive space for all the OS's you want to use.

hope this helps
//SD
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

I think he's already dual-booting and wants grub to randomly select an OS for him each time he restarts. I don't know how to do that, but I'm willing to bet it can be done by editing /boot/grub/menu.lst. I would venture a guess that it might be possible to make the default selection random and then simply have no timeout so it selects the default immediately. That is all probably wrong, just speculation.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

blevo wrote:setup GRUB (I guess) so one could boot into whatever system fate chose.
Random answer...

Fate you say, then that is not a computer

Unless you were thinking about the Starship Enterprise..
Computer?
Captain
Please give me all the sensor data for the last 2 days sorted by weapons scans
Calculating, data avilable in 1 minute..
Display on main screen
Displaying data
blevo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by blevo »

yep... you guys got it. I'm wondering if GRUB can be setup to randomly start up an OS on it's list
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

I'm going to guess no on this one. I will however offer a way to simulate it (pretty much like kaye was saying, at a high level description, it's up to you to implement it) Presumably you know how many OSs and hence how many entries you have on your own machine. Write a script that randomly generates a number between 0 and that number, loads up /boot/grub/menu.lst (on the partition that controls the grub) and changes the default to the random number. Set this script to load on boot in each OS, and voila, a random boot sequence, enjoy :/

Return to “Chat about Linux”