Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Kendoori
Level 4
Level 4

Why I just Dumped Clonezilla and am using Macrium Reflect Rescue Instead

Post by Kendoori »

I have used Clonezilla for many years. Indeed it is ugly and can be confusing, but if one wants to clone disk to disk, the guided "beginner" process is super reliable.

I've been having issues with my 19.2 Cinnamon setup, and before I upgrade to 19.3, I wanted a reliable way to back out to just where I left off. I realize that others have all kinds of elaborate schemes for doing this sort of thing, but IMHO disk space is cheap, and external USB3 cases are also cheap (and reasonably fast), so no matter, I periodically make a clone. In fact, I have clones stored in two different geographical locations (one is in a fireproof safe). I have found that I can just take the clone and easily boot from it. My acid test after I clone is using the clone on completely different hardware. I'm amazed every time that it just works.

I have a 2nd SSD that is slightly smaller than my main SSD that I attempted to clone to using Clonezilla, and in spite of using "expert" mode and switches detailed in this thread https://stackoverflow.com/a/55683105 it would just not work. I even shrunk one of the partitions prior to cloning, but even that didn't work.

Several people in these forums swear by Macrium Reflect, and I myself have used it for many years when using Windows. I have a spare machine with Windows 10 on it, and made a rescue disk from it, and proceeded to successfully clone the drive. It was easy, fast, and reliable.

I realize that some folks may not have ready access to Windows, or have a preference to only use FOSS, but if anyone wants the .ISO of the rescue disk, please private me.

AndyMH
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Why I just Dumped Clonezilla and am using Macrium Reflect Rescue Instead

Post by AndyMH »

In the final stages of testing before releasing the beta version of foxclone - a simple point and click linux image backup and clone tool. It will clone from a larger to smaller drive as long as total partitions on the source < size of the target and all unallocated space is at the end of the drive. Got a version that will boot from usb in legacy mode only, yet to make it work under UEFI.
Screenshot from 2019-12-25 11-24-32.png
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Joss
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Joss »

Macrium Reflect is one of the programs that makes me miss Windows :(
I totally understand your decision of using it from another computer. Clonezilla is a reliable clone app but it pales in comparison to Macrium.

Kendoori
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kendoori »

AndyMH wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:28 am
Got a version that will boot from usb in legacy mode only, yet to make it work under UEFI.
Andy, for my immediate needs I don't need UEFI. LMK if you'd like me to test.

AndyMH
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AndyMH »

PM me your email address and I'll 'we transfer' a copy to you. It quite happily deals with MSDOS and GPT partition tables, but the iso is legacy boot only (a minimal ubuntu install). Larry78723 and Peter Linu are also helping me out with testing. The iso is a 560MB download.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 »

Kendoori wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:00 pm
Several people in these forums swear by Macrium Reflect, and I myself have used it for many years when using Windows. I have a spare machine with Windows 10 on it, and made a rescue disk from it, and proceeded to successfully clone the drive. It was easy, fast, and reliable.
Macrium Rescue Media works great with Linux Mint...instructions are here viewtopic.php?f=42&t=264431#p1434480 It's never failed me and works with both HDDs and SSDs...it also works with other Linux Distros I've tried too. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

Joss
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Joss »

Using Macrium from bootable cd/usb works with Linux but you can't benefit from schedule backups; that demands working from the OS.
A couple of irritating limitations with Clonezilla is not working with the OS running and not providing differential/incremental backups. Oh, and that UI, if you can call it that...

racer-x
Level 4
Level 4

Post by racer-x »

I just now used this method for the first time. It worked very well on my 12 year old laptop. I replaced the 250GB HDD with a `120GB SSD. Macrium Reflect has a cool feature that lets you drag and drop partitions from one drive to another. The only problem was that my source partition was too large for the target SSD. So I resized source partition with Gparted and tried again. It worked great and now my old laptop runs soooo much faster.

Now I'll do my 5 year-old desktop next....

Return to “Software & Applications”