[SOLVED] Where is the option to customize window buttons?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Stormwatch
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Where is the option to customize window buttons?

Post by Stormwatch »

I've just updated to 19.3, and the "Windows" preference now lacks the option to customize the buttons layout. Now there's just "Mac style (Left)" and "Traditional style (Right)". And both options are garbage! :evil:

I used to set it a la "classic" Mac OS: close button to the left, other buttons to the right. This arrangement is ideal, as it prevents clicking the close button by mistake. Also, toggle shade has its own button, which I also find handy.

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Where is the option to customize window buttons?

Post by Moem »

I was wondering what the 'What's new' page meant when it mentioned
What's New - Other Improvements wrote:Simplified window settings
That usually means something has been removed. This is probably it.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Stormwatch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stormwatch »

That's a horrible, terrible, ABSOLUTELY INFURIATING change.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I'm not near my Mint 19.3 machine at the moment to double-check but I believe all the original options are still available under the hood in the dconf database. Install dconf-editor to modify via GUI or use the command line tools dconf or gsettings to modify.

If you are stuck I'll be home again next week and will double-check and post back.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Stormwatch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stormwatch »

smurphos wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:15 am Install dconf-editor to modify via GUI
Thumbs up to you, that worked. :)

The path is: org / cinnamon / desktop / wm / preferences / button-layout
And the string: close:shade,minimize,maximize
Ecka
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ecka »

I found two entries in dconf:
/org/gnome/desktop/wm/preferences/button-layout
and
/org/cinnamon/desktop/wm/preferences/button-layout

I figure he'd need to actually change both?

I'll also echo what others said: removing this is super silly enforcing your users to use the dconf editor when it was something they could do from a SIMPLE settings menu.
Stormwatch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stormwatch »

Ecka wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:07 am I figure he'd need to actually change both?
Changing just the cinnamon one works here.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Stormwatch wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:58 am
smurphos wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:15 am Install dconf-editor to modify via GUI
Thumbs up to you, that worked. :)

The path is: org / cinnamon / desktop / wm / preferences / button-layout
And the string: close:shade,minimize,maximize
You are welcome. For the benefit of other readers...

Valid button names - only the first 4 are guaranteed to be defined in any given window border theme.

Code: Select all

close
minimize
maximize
spacer

menu 
stick
above
lower 
shade
To modify the settings via the command line the generic command format is below. The colon separates left hand buttons from right hand buttons

dconf write /org/cinnamon/desktop/wm/preferences/button-layout "'button1,button2:button3,button4'"
A few examples

Alternative mac style (close button only on the left, minimise and maximise on the right)

dconf write /org/cinnamon/desktop/wm/preferences/button-layout "'close:minimize,maximize'"

Extra Space

dconf write /org/cinnamon/desktop/wm/preferences/button-layout "':minimize,spacer,maximize,spacer,close'"

Menu and Sticky buttons on the left

dconf write /org/cinnamon/desktop/wm/preferences/button-layout "'menu,stick:minimize,maximize,close'"
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [SOLVED] Where is the option to customize window buttons?

Post by JosephM »

I know users never like when things like this are removed but they are typically done with a reason. I don't know if this one was ever really explained.

Very few desktop environments still support the use of metacity (aka window border) themes. This has led to a lot of newer themes having limited support for them. This means that very few actually support theming for any of the titlebar buttons outside of close, minimize, and maximize. So when using many of these themes the old settings simply seemed broken. In addition to that, more and more applications are using client side decorations. Window borders that are drawn by the app itself and NOT by the window manager. These don't support the more esoteric titlebar buttons at all. That just led to those settings having very inconsistent results and in many cases appearing to simply not work. And that leads to confusion and bug reports from users on our side.

All that being said, there isn't any reason we couldn't add a few more presets like the "classic Mac" style you mentioned above.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

JosephM wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:34 am I know users never like when things like this are removed but they are typically done with a reason. I don't know if this one was ever really explained.
Not that I know of... so, thank you!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
sevenmpd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sevenmpd »

Hi wonder if anyone could help I was looking to change the size of my window icons and came across this thread
I used one of the commands
To modify the settings via the command line the generic command format is below. The colon separates left hand buttons from right hand buttons
dconf write /org/cinnamon/desktop/wm/preferences/button-layout "'button1,button2:button3,button4'"
and now find the 3 icons minimise, re-size and close window have now disappeared so I'm wondering if you could advise how to reverse the above ?
Moral dont mess :oops:
Many thanks
H

Return to “Cinnamon”