[SOLVED] Mint 19.3 Why isn't Auto Login working?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
nermeenhm
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Mint 19.3 Why isn't Auto Login working?

Post by nermeenhm »

Hi all,

I've just installed Mint 19.3 three days ago and I'm still making it comfortable for myself :-))

I wonder why I'm prompted for a password every time I start my computer, although I stopped the manual login!! Can anyone advice (or direct me to other posts) how to stop mint from requesting my password when I start my computer? I don't mind the password prompts with every single bit of thing I do during the session but I just want it to login and go to the desktop by itself (without a password) when I open it in the morning.

Any help here??

Thanks
Last edited by nermeenhm on Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

rene
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Mint 19.3 Why isn't Auto Login working?

Post by rene »

nermeenhm wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:03 am
I don't mind the password prompts with every single bit of thing I do during the session [ ... ]
Something tells me you do in fact mind...

But did you set it up with home directory encryption? If so, yes, no autologin, since an encrypted home directory that is decrypted automatically makes no sense...

nermeenhm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nermeenhm »

Well maybe yes I do mind, but I'm willing to live with it :-))

As for your question: I don't think I did that? Can you explain to me how I can do it?

rene
Level 14
Level 14

Post by rene »

Home directory encryption you would've set up by checking a box in the installer. If you open a terminal, do you in the output of the command mount see an ecryptfs mounted on /home/nermeenmh (obviously, with that name replaced by your username on Linux, if not in fact same)?

A different password prompt than on the login screen could be one you'd be getting to unlock a system keyring, i.e., after your desktop is already basically up and running. That's also not automatically arranged for with autologin, and although the system keyring isn't used on a default install, something like Chrome does use it, and if you login to cloud-services like Google Drive on login, that could/would do it.

If I'm not mistaken, the prompt tom unlock the keyring explicitly says it's to unlock the keyring, and it's as said post-login, so should be easy to identify.

nermeenhm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nermeenhm »

I'll go step by step since all of this sounds so complicated for my. I wrote "mount" at the terminal and it gave me all this, can't make anything out of it I'm afraid:

Code: Select all

sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=3993876k,nr_inodes=998469,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=806144k,mode=755)
/dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/unified type cgroup2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,nsdelegate)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,name=systemd)
pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
efivarfs on /sys/firmware/efi/efivars type efivarfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/rdma type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,rdma)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/pids type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,pids)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls,net_prio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,hugetlb)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=24,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=18618)
hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime,pagesize=2M)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/sda2 on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime)
/dev/sda3 on /boot/efi type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0077,dmask=0077,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=806140k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)
gvfsd-fuse on /root/.gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0)
/dev/fuse on /root/.cache/doc type fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0)

nermeenhm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nermeenhm »

I never use Chrome and I don't use Google drive.

JOPETA
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JOPETA »

nermeenhm wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:03 am
I just want it to login and go to the desktop by itself (without a password) when I open it in the morning.
Check the login Window ([Menu>Administration>Login Window>User>autologin) to be sure your user is set for autologin and also you user belongs to nopasswdlogin group (Menu>Administration>Users and Groups>Click on your user on the left and on Groups on the right>look for nopasswdlogin and check it). Then reboot to confirm it works.
Last edited by JOPETA on Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ni cola de león ni cabeza de ratón, prefiero ser diente de ajo.(Javier Krahe)

nermeenhm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nermeenhm »

Did all that, and it still asks me for password at the login!!

rene
Level 14
Level 14

Post by rene »

You are not using an encrypted home directory. Can you make doubly explicit for us that that "password prompt" you are getting is from the login screen, not post-login from say the keyring prompt?

nermeenhm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nermeenhm »

Yes, you're actually right!

I have copied the message for you, this is what it says:

Unlock Keyring

An application wants access to the keyring "Default Keyring" but it is locked.

JOPETA
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JOPETA »

As rene is suppousing maybe it is something on starting user session (not at login) you need to do as root . This would explain last lines in mount results.

Code: Select all

vfsd-fuse on /root/.gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0)
/dev/fuse on /root/.cache/doc type fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0)
Ni cola de león ni cabeza de ratón, prefiero ser diente de ajo.(Javier Krahe)

rene
Level 14
Level 14

Post by rene »

OK. Given your expressed slight weariness of passwords I will assume you will not mind slightly lessening security by disabling the keyring password and, therefore, having the passwords stored in it (note, that does not include Firefox's nor Thunderbird's; doesn't include anything on an OOTB install) saved unencrypted.

From the menus, open "Password and Keys" and right-click the "Default Keyring". Chose "Change Password", unlock if currently still locked, and leave both "Password" and "Confirm" fields blank on the resulting change-dialogue before picking continue. Note the warning as also expressed above, and choose to be fine with that. This should forego the Default Keyring password prompt you're getting on login.

Note; I do not in fact know why you are getting that prompt; what is attempting to use the Default Keyring; if you are interested, we'd need to do some more probing.

nermeenhm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nermeenhm »

Ok, I tried something at the "Passwords and Keys" and I think it finally worked. I'm not being prompted for a password at login now :D

In brief, I go: Menu>Passwords and Keys

From the menu on the left I right-click on "Default Keyring" under the title "Passwords"

Then "Unlock" where I'm prompted for my password.

Then "Change Password"

Then I put nothing in the fields and click "Continue" to the warning I get.

And Voila :wink:

nermeenhm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nermeenhm »

rene wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:03 am
OK. Given your expressed slight weariness of passwords I will assume you will not mind slightly lessening security by disabling the keyring password and, therefore, having the passwords stored in it (note, that does not include Firefox's nor Thunderbird's; doesn't include anything on an OOTB install) saved unencrypted.

From the menus, open "Password and Keys" and right-click the "Default Keyring". Chose "Change Password", unlock if currently still locked, and leave both "Password" and "Confirm" fields blank on the resulting change-dialogue before picking continue. Note the warning as also expressed above, and choose to be fine with that. This should forego the Default Keyring password prompt you're getting on login.

Note; I do not in fact know why you are getting that prompt; what is attempting to use the Default Keyring; if you are interested, we'd need to do some more probing.
Exactly what I did and it worked like a charm :D You're a magician.

nermeenhm
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Mint 19.3 Why isn't Auto Login working?

Post by nermeenhm »

Yes, I'm interested to do some more probing if you have time please. I'm very ignorant about Linux and Mint as you must've guessed :lol:

rene
Level 14
Level 14

Re: [SOLVED] Mint 19.3 Why isn't Auto Login working?

Post by rene »

It's unfortunately not fully well-defined how to find out which application is in fact requesting access to the default keyring but the most straight-forward way would be, first, guessing, and second, setting a password again and probing which application is twiddling thumbs waiting for you to enter it.

First usually suffices though. I have a fairly severe dislike of mobile technology so never think of this immediately, but if I'm not mistaken NetworkManager in fact stores a WiFi password in the default keyring. It certainly does VPN passwords. I'd check by, well, also in this case, setting a password on the default keyring again, disabling the password-requiring network connection from being brought up automatically on login and reboot to try. To do so you'd deselect System -> Network Connections -> <the connection> -> Gear Icon -> General -> Automatically connect [ ... ].

Anther guess would possibly be flatpak autoupdates but not in fact sure if I've ever seen that require a password...

Return to “Newbie Questions”