Home networking wifi mint 19.2/3

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rchaslock

Home networking wifi mint 19.2/3

Post by rchaslock »

Can someone advise me; my skills are 15 years out-of-date.

My cat chewed the wifi dongle on my desktop; my laptop is fine running mint 19.3. The desktop is still on 19.2. Household internet is through a wifi hotspot.

I have connected them with an ethernet cable, and wish to access wifi on the laptop through the laptop.

Wifi networking is on 192.168.0.xxx. I have configured both machines on 10.0.0.xxx through the ethernet link.

Both machines can see the other through the Network, and I can ping the wifi hotspot IP from the desktop.

What more should I do?

Roger
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rchaslock

Re: Home networking wifi mint 19.2/3

Post by rchaslock »

I can;t ping, eg grc.com, from the desktop.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Can you set IPv4 in network manager on the laptop to shared for the ethernet connection?
rchaslock

Post by rchaslock »

I have just done that and restarted the NetworkManager. No joy on the desktop yet.
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

Normally this is reverse of what the connections are meant to do. Sharing internet from Ethernet to wireless is a built in function. You are talking about creating a wireless bridge. It is possible and I will direct you to an external link to set it up. The network device names and subnets will need to be changed to fit the actual device names on your laptop and the subnet you are using.

https://www.tidbitsfortechs.com/2014/08 ... ux-laptop/
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
rchaslock

Post by rchaslock »

Thank you for the link. The advice seems rather archaic (dated some years ago) and incomplete.

I followed it as best I could, and lost my PC-Laptop connectivity. The link advice seems to take no account of the WiFi IP, nor of firewall rules.

My laptop wifi is 192.168.0.102, and I assumed that was the local network. I had configured both ends of the ethernet cable to 10.0.0.x to get PC-Laptop connectivity.My various attempts at Masquerade, derived from the link advice, all failed, as did any attempt to use the IP addresses recommended.

By the way, I now have an ethernet configuration entry for ifupdown (enp3s0) which I cannot delete. Any advice on how to remove it?
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

enp3s0 is your wired connection. You need to configure it, not delete it. Wireless should remain on DHCP or whatever connected address it had.

What is shown in the link enables the wired connection then sets a static address xxx.xxx.xxx.1 and forwarding. Lastly it sets the wireless to route traffic from the wireless to wired network (bridge mode) xxx.xxx.x.0/24

The wired connection can be whatever IP/subnet you want as long as it uses valid addressing. The two networks should not be the same though. If wireless connects to192.168.0.0/24 then wired should not also be 192.168.0.0/24. IPTABLES is taking care of the required route between the two subnets.
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
rchaslock

Post by rchaslock »

Thank you for your advice. Please excuse my confusion.

First, the rogue entry:-

I have in Network Connections

Ethernet
enp3s0
ifupdown (enp3s0)
Wi-Fi
Auto Vodafone****

I can edit enp3s0, but not the second entry, and I can delete enp3s0, but not the second entry. I wish to remove the second entry, because it intrudes on the configuration.

Second, the IP addresses mentioned in "Configuring a Wireless Bridge":-

The PC is given IP 192.168.2.2
The Gateway is given IP 192.168.1.1
The (Laptop) eth0 is given IP 192.168.2.1
and the (Laptop) wlan0 is associated with 192.168.2.0/24

From this I understand the ethernet link is on network 192.168.2.xxx and the wlan is associated with this network. I do not see why the gateway is on a different network.

Finally, with this configuration, will I still be able to exchange files between the PC and the Laptop, and access the internet from both machines?

Regards
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

I was curious to see if there is simply a software limitation to this so I set up my laptop and desktop with USB Ethernet adapters to try it out. I manually set all interface IP's, subnets, gateways and routes needed to make traffic flow in both directions. It worked, sort of. I can ping the laptop wireless address 192.168.9.159 from the desktop USB Ethernet at 192.168.3.2 and vice versa. I can also browse files between the two computers. Issue comes when trying to go beyond the wireless adapter into the network and internet be it through complete URL or IP. Attempting to complete the route somehow breaks the adapter configuration and disables it completely. Adapter cannot be re-enabled until it is completely reset in Network Manager in through ifconfig.

I have done this before on my IPFIRE router/firewall many years ago (something at the time it was not designed to do) but it is more suited for the task. Does not appear to work on Mint though. Perhaps someone else can chime in though.

To get rid of any new connection profiles created in the terminal just select them in network manager and go to reset or use ifconfig to pull the connection down.
rchaslock

Post by rchaslock »

Thank you for your experiment. I found I could ping external IP addresses at one point. I think what was happening was that the DNS servers could not be addresses, or their replies not getting through. If you have any insight on that, it would be most helpful.

Regards
Roger
rogerChaslock
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rogerChaslock »

SOLVED
I shall post the configuration tomorrow when I have worked out what I have done. Critical, I believe, is interchanging the order of eth and wlan entries in /etc/resolvconf/interface-order on the gateway machine.
rogerChaslock
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rogerChaslock »

SOLVED
I followed the guidance in https://askubuntu.com/questions/171914/ ... d-wireless, and reversed the order of eth/wifi in /etc/resolvconf/interface-order.
rogerChaslock
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rogerChaslock »

That is, reversed the order on the wifi machine!

Return to “Networking”