Can't see levels in update manager, 19.3

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Longbottom
Level 1
Level 1

Can't see levels in update manager, 19.3

Post by Longbottom »

Hi! I just installed 19.3 on my new laptop. In update manager I can't see the security levels of the updates, all icons are just grey with no numbers on them. This might be a stupid question, but why? On my old laptop, running 18.3, it surely looked different, and now I'm worried I might install unstable upgrades... Help would definitely be appreciated.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Can't see levels in update manager, 19.3

Post by Pjotr »

Things have changed. You might find this article interesting, that I've written about Update Manager in Mint 19.3:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... pdate.html
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Longbottom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Longbottom »

Thanks for the reply! I'm still a bit worried though. Are all the updates shown in the update manager considered safe now, or is there a new setting somewhere I haven't found where you can change what you see in the manager? It shows "Kernel headers for development" for example, which seems like something that could destabilise the system.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

You are the prime example of why levels had to be removed. There are no unstable updates. Never have been. All update levels ever did was confuse users like you (this is not an attack on you but on the levels system).
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Longbottom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Longbottom »

OK, thanks a lot for the reply! And don't worry, i didn't see it as an attack (frankness is always appreciated)! :-)

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

gm10 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:49 pm
All update levels ever did was confuse users like you (this is not an attack on you but on the levels system).
I don't want to repeat our earlier discussions about this, but there was more to them than just that.... Anyway: they're gone for good, so this has become a matter of purely academical interest without any practical relevance. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Pjotr wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:07 pm
gm10 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:49 pm
All update levels ever did was confuse users like you (this is not an attack on you but on the levels system).
I don't want to repeat our earlier discussions about this, but there was more to them than just that.... Anyway: they're gone for good, so this has become a matter of purely academical interest without any practical relevance. :mrgreen:
No worries, I have categorically refused to get involved in any discussion on the merits since. Everything that could be said has been said, the rest is history and I do not regret my involvement in it in the slightest. I shall add that users are free to install LM 19 or 19.1 to "enjoy" all those arbitrary levels. :P

By the way and in view of your blog, did you notice that my own Update Manager displays held packages in the ignore list and allows to remove them from it since a few versions? ;)
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Return to “Newbie Questions”