New website looks good, however the forums...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: When will this forum site get a new modern design?

Post by AZgl1800 »

dimspace wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:00 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:53 pm

Also, the Xenforo Advanced Search is faster than Google's Advanced Search, and the results are even more impressive than what google suggests.
One thing Xen is very good with is indexing without massively impacting the server. Having built and run a forum myself, the search is a balance.. set the indexing too low and search results arent good enough, set it to high and results are better, but server performance can be impacted. (All rather depends on the resources of the person running the forum as to what level of server they can afford).
Our owner/operator is VerticalScope
they have moved our servers at least 4 or 5 times in the last two years, every time we take a performance hit, they moved us up to a better server situation.

They had us on Google Cloud for a while, but even that was too slow, and I have retraced all of the Moderator updates, and the change to our current cloud server must have been just before they moved us to Xenforo... as I can't find any reference to it any more.

I like that the server is reporting search times below 2 seconds, and often times down to 0.1 second.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
dimspace
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dimspace »

You can tell I've been bored today. Messing around with CSS in Stylus.

Didn't actually change much. New header (colours same as the LM Blog), with new logo. All fonts modernised and increased in size to 12cpi+. Separation between posts added and rounded corners removed. Avatar and profiles made bigger.
2020-01-01 19.33.28 forums.linuxmint.com 857af62c8458.png
I actually quite like it, but, it does end up looking like any other forum on the internet..
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

dimspace wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:38 pm You can tell I've been bored today. Messing around with CSS in Stylus.
I really like how that looks.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
dimspace
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dimspace »

Had a play around this evening. Have put what I've done so far on userstyles. https://userstyles.org/styles/178826/li ... forums-wip

Havn't changed any structure, just changing colours, removing gradients and the like and making things green (instead of random yellow and blue)

Forum Index - modernising, bigger font, padding. Rollovers now green instead of yellow/blue. Icon change.
Threads - bigger fonts, green hovers instead of blue, layout changes
Other: bigger buttons throughout, all rounded corners gone.

But I havn't even touched user control panel, messaging, member lists, polls, and goodness knows what else.
Attachments
reply-page.png
forum-index.png
thread-page.png
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Ever notice every now and then, somebody makes their one and only post on this forum, and it ends up being 5 or more pages long, just like this one?
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Schultz wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:22 am Ever notice every now and then, somebody makes their one and only post on this forum, and it ends up being 5 or more pages long, just like this one?
Haha. I noticed back on the second page the OP hadn't been back since making the post. Told myself I'm not gonna get sucked into this one!!! Oh wait .. oops. :roll:
handsomegenius

Post by handsomegenius »

I quite like this forum. It's easy to read, easy to navigate, totally usable on my phone as well and doesn't make me wait too long for it to load
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chriske »

handsomegenius wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:57 am I quite like this forum. It's easy to read, easy to navigate, totally usable on my phone as well and doesn't make me wait too long for it to load
+1
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

handsomegenius wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:57 am I quite like this forum. It's easy to read, easy to navigate
Exactly. Another thing .. it's not a "load-on-demand" (LOD) site such as the likes of Reddit, the Manjaro Forum etc., I find those LOD sites hard to navigate and also they can not be pre-loaded for offline reading later. This severely inhibits my use of such sites. For example I have been running Manjaro as a daily driver on a couple of machines (including this one) for well over a year but rarely participate in their Forums, simply because the layout is quite alien to me. I use it more than Mint but I'm at home on the Mint Forums.

This site is like reading a book; these "modern" LOD sites are like reading a very long and often very narrow scroll. :|
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chriske »

BG405 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:34 pm
handsomegenius wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:57 am I quite like this forum. It's easy to read, easy to navigate
Exactly. Another thing .. it's not a "load-on-demand" (LOD) site such as the likes of Reddit, the Manjaro Forum etc., I find those LOD sites hard to navigate and also they can not be pre-loaded for offline reading later. This severely inhibits my use of such sites. For example I have been running Manjaro as a daily driver on a couple of machines (including this one) for well over a year but rarely participate in their Forums, simply because the layout is quite alien to me. I use it more than Mint but I'm at home on the Mint Forums.
And what's more, in my case that is (almost) all problems I've had in the past have been solved.
These are a bunch of nice guys here on this forum, helping each other unconditionally. That is important..!!

Don't change a thing...pe-lease moderators..!
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jameskga »

I oppose any change to the forum
They say your favorite Mint edition was the one you installed when you still went to school with your friends.
I am out there
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chriske »

Schultz wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:22 am Ever notice every now and then, somebody makes their one and only post on this forum, and it ends up being 5 or more pages long, just like this one?
Still at '1 post', he never bothered to reply here. odd...

As I said before, leave it as is.
These guys here on the Mint forum are doing a wonderful job.
Love it here. A few times now I got stuck in my 18.3, and every single time they manage to find a solution.
This forum as is, simple, clean, nicely ordered as it should, no more no less.
Started to donate btw... :wink:
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Is it not about time the mods closed this pointless diatribe?
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Still at '1 post', he never bothered to reply here. odd...
YEP...another "one and done"...lol...i like the forum layout just like it is...DAMIEN
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chriske »

lsemmens wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:09 am Is it not about time the mods closed this pointless diatribe?
Well, yes and no.
The mods need to know how we think about such issues.
Delete this thread and soon another guy, posting one post and never return ever again, start this silly and pointless discussion all over again.

Chris
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Chriske wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:19 am Delete this thread and soon another guy, posting one post and never return ever again, start this silly and pointless discussion all over again.
Yeah, that was my thinking, too. Plus, it's a chat thread... as long as it's within forum guidelines, there's no harm done.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

handsomegenius wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:57 am I quite like this forum. It's easy to read, easy to navigate, totally usable on my phone as well and doesn't make me wait too long for it to load
Living up to the second part of your forum name :)

It is also VERY usable on desktop/laptop, a pleasure of functionality over modern trends. I think this thread and the 'Is Linux Mint Ugly' thread are both some kind of black-ops by current/former Microsoft Windows 8&10 GUI designers ;)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

ZakGordon wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 4:39 am It is also VERY usable on desktop/laptop, a pleasure of functionality over modern trends.
This is why the Forum should stay as it is.

A few cosmetic tweaks here and there don't hurt (as has happened in the past) but I definitely say NO to phablet-formatting (where every page element is the size of a tile so people with tiny screens and sausage-fingers can still click stuff .. 3 items per page etc.). No, just No. :roll: :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
TheOmniad-2020
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TheOmniad-2020 »

One of the reasons I turned to Linux was graphics overload. I like the site as it is - clean, easy to navigate and quick-loading.
vladtepes

Post by vladtepes »

I have no issue with the forum software etc.

I do think (and others have said the same to me when I've pointed them to LM) that the forum and website looks very old fashioned because of the colours.

I like what dimspace has done (his post in Januray, above). Looks fresher.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”