Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
squiggles3
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED]Software Sources Titlebar Buttons BUG

Post by squiggles3 »

I need to confirm with some other users that this is a real bug with Software Sources.

Steps to recreate the issue.

1) Set the window titlebar buttons to left hand side (Mac Style) through System Settings-->Windows-->Titlebar-->Buttons
2) Open up Software Sources either stand alone or through the Update Manager

The titlebar buttons on the Software Sources window do not respect the left hand (Mac Style) placement I have set through the System Settings.

My system is running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon UPGRADED through the Update Manager from 19.2.

EDIT: Software Sources was updated to allow titlebar buttons to be on the left. This issue no longer exists
Last edited by squiggles3 on Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Software Sources Titlebar Buttons BUG

Post by gm10 »

Mint's Software Sources tool ignores all user-specific settings, and additionally uses client-side window decorations and thus ignores window-manager settings about the button placement, anyway. So this is working as intended.

If you want, my forked software-sources tool from my PPA in my signature has none of those limitations (unless you start it via Cinnamon's control center), plus a lot of other improvements. :)
squiggles3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by squiggles3 »

gm10 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:07 am
Mint's Software Sources tool ignores all user-specific settings, and additionally uses client-side window decorations and thus ignores window-manager settings about the button placement, anyway. So this is working as intended.

If you want, my forked software-sources tool from my PPA in my signature has none of those limitations (unless you start it via Cinnamon's control center), plus a lot of other improvements. :)
OK, but why? I realize that Software Sources isn't the most commonly used tool but now that I notice this "issue" it really detracts from the pleasantly cohesive theming of Mint, or the polish of the desktop experience if you will. In my opinion it does not seem like everything is working as intended but rather the dev team forgot or cut corners in the development. Of course this could be coming from Ubuntu and have nothing to do with Clem and Co.

Obviously this is an easy thing to work around and I'm not trying to be negative towards the crew. Compared to what Linux was 15 years ago this is a real "first world problem" to be fair. However, to the new Linux user transitioning from Windows or Mac (especially Mac since they are used to having titlebar buttons on the left already) it gives the impression of being not quite finished and their expectations are high.

I did some research with all the versions of Linux MInt from LM Cinnamon 19.2, LM Cinnamon 19.3, LM XFCE 19.3, LM MATE 19.3 and LMDE 3.

All versions present the same behaviour EXCEPT for LMDE 3 where the Titlebar Buttons in Software Sources were properly placed as I specified on the left hand side. So is this actually a bug with LMDE 3? Or is this a bug from upstream.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

squiggles3 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:14 am
OK, but why?
[...]
All versions present the same behaviour EXCEPT for LMDE 3 where the Titlebar Buttons in Software Sources were properly placed as I specified on the left hand side. So is this actually a bug with LMDE 3? Or is this a bug from upstream.
You probably just did not update mintsources to the latest version available for LMDE 3. LMDE 3 released with mintsources 1.8.0, which has a regular titlebar, but the latest available version on LMDE 3 should be mintsources 1.8.8, where the UI was "revamped" and the titlebar was changed to client-side window decorations with a fixed button layout.

As to the "why", the respective commit on github does not come with any explanation, but another commit part of the "revamp" indicates they were trying to make it look like mintwelcome, where Clem previously had made a similar change to the titlebar. The change to mintwelcome does not come with any explanation.

That's all I got. Obviously I didn't like it myself, for me consistency is key, so I went back to a regular titlebar with a customizable button layout for my version of the tool.

Return to “Software & Applications”