Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Palladini
Level 3
Level 3

Print shop alternative -SOLVED

Post by Palladini »

On a Windows OS, they have a Program called Print Shop. Is there anything in the Linux Mint world of software that is an equivalent program.
Last edited by Palladini on Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
[b]I love Linux Mint 19.2[/b]
Using Linux Mint since 2007, not programming smart, last program language I learned was called Basic on a Commodore 64
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Print shop alterantive

Post by Moem »

I don't know. What does it do?
It may be worth checking here: https://alternativeto.net/software/the- ... form=linux

Is it desktop publiching software? If so, try Scribus. But honestly, you'll get better answers if you tell us what it is you are looking for.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Palladini
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Print shop alternative

Post by Palladini »

Moem, I think none of those listed on that page can compare to The Printshop Program.
[b]I love Linux Mint 19.2[/b]
Using Linux Mint since 2007, not programming smart, last program language I learned was called Basic on a Commodore 64
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

If all else fails and you really need it, check out the "wine app-db"
https://www.winehq.org/search?q=the+print+shop
This version worked well:
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=12652
but it's pretty old and other versions aren't so good ('platinum'=good, 'gold'=iffy, everything else...).

If you install wine and are using mint 19.x, follow the instructions on the mint website (install 'wine-installer'), not the wine website.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
absque fenestris
Level 9
Level 9

Post by absque fenestris »

Hello Palladini.

I suppose you've already tried LibreOffice and the like. You probably know Scribus too.

Viva is a commercial program - but there is a free download: strictly and exclusively for home use.

http://www.viva.us/en/service/try-and-buy-in-viva-shop

Laidout - is also new for me. Might still be interesting.

https://laidout.org/index.html#download
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (MATE) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook
Linux Mint 20 Ulyana (Cinnamon) 64-bit - Huawei MateBook X Pro
rossdv8
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rossdv8 »

You can do just about anything that PrintShop for Windows can do, using LibreOffice.

I used Broderbund software on a number of early systems including I think, the Commodore 64 (Print Shop) MsDos (Print Shop) and in my Windows days (80s to mid-late 90s) Print Shop and/or Print Shop Deluxe.

And while it was incredibly simple to make all sorts of cute fonts and stuff, the novelty wore off.

However, all you have to do is a little reading, some YouTube searches and look at the options available in Libre Office, Scribus, Inkscape etc. Particularly checking out 'Draw' and 'Impress' in Libre.

There are lots of alternatives in Linux that can/do completely replace 'many' Windows programs quite effectively. I can't think of anything I could do in Print Shop, that I probably couldn;t replicate 'easily' in Libre or Scribus.
Current main OS: MInt 19.3 Xfce on Lenovo m93p Tiny, i5-4590T (i915 graphics), 8GB RAM, 1TB Samsung SSD, 55 inch UHD monitor.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Palladini wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:37 pm
Moem, I think none of those listed on that page can compare to The Printshop Program.
As I said, you'll get better answers if you tell us what you are actually looking for. You're lucky enough that some people have heard of The Print Shop, and apparently know what it does... but why rely on luck?
Tell us in what ways Libreoffice and Scribus are lacking, and someone can offer you a different suggestion.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

In Linux there are many alternatives to WIndows programs but very few equivalents. The only exceptions to the latter I can think of at the moment are ported between the two OSes.
Linux-Bill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Linux-Bill »

PrintShop can produce foldable greeting cards. I have found nothing even close to it for Linux. Hence, I have a dual boot machine for the times Linux falls on its face in the software department. I also use Intuit software for taxes and checking accounts - again, nothing similar that will operate in Linux. There are others also.

Rather than piddle with make believe "almost the same" software, I use Windows when needed. Running only Linux is not always feasible and Wine is not a reliable answer.

I do believe that if there were not so many distros there would be greater interest in developing commercial software for Linux users. Also, most Linux operable software does not easily install - such as Windows users expect.

Why do I use Linux at all? Reliability, reduced intrusiveness, and general security/safety. Hence, dual boot is the answer to me needs.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Linux-Bill wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:01 am
PrintShop can produce foldable greeting cards.
So can Scribus. https://www.linux.com/tutorials/make-bi ... x-scribus/

Linux-Bill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Linux-Bill »

More features on PrintShop. For example: Headline text control - shape, outline, fill, bend, and easily placed. Pictures are also infinitely shapeable/moveable. Small text boxes totally customizable. Everything can be done with the mouse - no numerical information required (such as needed for labels, tags, paper size). In a word: Easier. Seems "easier" is a common denominator when comparing Windows software to Linux software.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

I wish the OP would tell us what features they're looking for.

racer-x
Level 5
Level 5

Post by racer-x »

Linux-Bill wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:38 am
More features on PrintShop. For example: Headline text control - shape, outline, fill, bend, and easily placed. Pictures are also infinitely shapeable/moveable. Small text boxes totally customizable. Everything can be done with the mouse - no numerical information required (such as needed for labels, tags, paper size). In a word: Easier. Seems "easier" is a common denominator when comparing Windows software to Linux software.
About the only thing I agree with that statement is that windows S/W is easier than Linux. After all, Windows was made for dummies. Linux assumes you have a brain. I actually find that refreshing.

I mean Windows Movie Maker was actually not too bad and was super easy to use, but I would never use it and always preferred more powerful and more difficult to use programs when I used Windows.

I've never used Print Shop, but I'm 100% certain that I can easily reproduce whatever it can create using Linux programs.

PS. No need to dual-boot, you can always install Windows in a VirtualBox VM.
rossdv8
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Print shop alternative -SOLVED

Post by rossdv8 »

Even GIMP can make single fold greeting cards with a Front, Inside and Back image/text.
And there are videos all over Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBkR2RD5oeU

Likewise for Libreoffice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TfaNCgiSno

and Inkscape:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9rUYrq0vaI

on top of those there are templates and plugins available to do many of the tasks. As I probably mentioned in another post

Even Libreoffice Writer and Draw have lots of tricks. Here's an example of something we used to do in Print Shop - but done instead in Libre Writer.
Libre.jpg
I mentioned previously, as a long time user of Broderbund stuff, including Print Shop and also a user of Express Publisher in the days before MS Windows and then after it was released in a Windows version, followed by early testing of MS Publisher before it was let loose on victims, I don't think there is anything in those programs that cannot be fairly easily done in a Linux program.

As someone pointed out a couple of posts above, the difference is Linux was created by people who actually think - and assumes its users are capable of reading stuff and watching videos.
Current main OS: MInt 19.3 Xfce on Lenovo m93p Tiny, i5-4590T (i915 graphics), 8GB RAM, 1TB Samsung SSD, 55 inch UHD monitor.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Moem wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:13 am
Linux-Bill wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:01 am
PrintShop can produce foldable greeting cards.
So can Scribus. https://www.linux.com/tutorials/make-bi ... x-scribus/
You also can do it with LibreOffice. It's probably a completely different procedure than Print Shop uses and you may also have to make changes to your printer settings. I have yet to run into anything in LibreOffice that I couldn't do what I used to use in MS Office.

The problem most Windows refugees run into in Linux is expecting to find exact replacements for their favorite Windows programs. In most cases, they do not exist but there are plenty of programs that can give you the same results as long as you are willing to learn new workflows. The learning curve can be a stinker but will pay off in the long run.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
rossdv8
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Print shop alternative -SOLVED

Post by rossdv8 »

there are plenty of programs that can give you the same results as long as you are willing to learn new workflows
I would add that you need to be capable of typing a question into search in Youtube, to see a video of just about anything you want to do, or into a search engine if you would rather read it...

But that applies o things you want to do in Windows or Mac as well as Linux.
Sadly, even in this day and age, many, many people have no idea how to, or are just too lazy to use searches to obtain information or tutorials :-(

An example is that Libreoffice Writer (and Draw, and Impress) can do a lot of the silly stuff we used to do with Print Shop. In my last post above I showed a fancy Fontworks thing.
Below, I've posted a capture of Libreoffice Writer using the same Fontworks gallery text 'Extruded' to a 3D look. It took One Click, but with a few more it can look completely different.
Libre02.jpg
Ans a couple of clicks on text in Libreoffice Draw will also create silly font styles without even using the Fontworks tool.
Libre03.jpg
Then there's Scribus, almost a plug in replacement for MS Publisher and Print Shop. But even Libreoffice can do nearly everything Print Shop could. And we still haven't touched on Inkscape!

Every one of them can do single and double fold greeting cards, and some even have templates available.

Return to “Software & Applications”