Upgrade from 19.2 to 19.3

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Upgrade from 19.2 to 19.3

Post by JerryF »

I just tried to upgrade from 19.2 Xfce to 19.3 Xfce on our desktop.

After doing that through Update Manager, the desktop was written over. The background was replaced, p!us the desktop icons were rearranged.

Is there a way to to this without messing up the desktop?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Upgrade from 19.2 to 19.3

Post by karlchen »

Happy New Year, JerryF.

Based in my own experience when in-place upgrading from LM 19.x xfce to LM 19.3 xfce, I tend to answer: resetting the desktop to default values is done on purpose.
Please, see this thread: Upgrade to LM 19.3 xfce from LM19.1 xfce - Bye bye to Tessa after 6 months only
in particular the sections titled
+ Return of the previous Login Screen Background Image
+ Return of the previous desktop wallpaper
in this post.

By now I have in-place upgraded 3 LM 19.x xfce systems to LM 19.3 xfce. And I could have told precisely the same story about all 3 of them, in particular about my "upgrade after-care" steps. Smells like this is by design.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Glückliches neues Jahr! (Hope that came out right Karl.)

A lot to read and I will do so. Thanks so much for the links!!!

Jerry

P.S. Wish the in-place upgrades were better at keeping a user's settings as what I mentioned in my post. :cry:
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, JerryF.
A lot to read
Hm. Not really, if you only read the single post, which had been linked to and not the whole thread. :) Actually, even this post had only been mentioned to confirm that the desktop background (and the login screen background) had been reset here as well.
I suspect that some things had to be reset to default values, because xfce was upgraded from 4.12 to 4.14.1.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

karlchen wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:43 pm Hi, JerryF.
A lot to read
Hm. Not really, if you only read the single post, which had been linked to and not the whole thread. :) Actually, even this post had only been mentioned to confirm that the desktop background (and the login screen background) had been reset here as well.
I suspect that some things had to be reset to default values, because xfce was upgraded from 4.12 to 4.14.1.

Regards,
Karl
Yes, I read everything. Thanks so much.

Just my opinion: an in-place upgrade within a series shouldn't have to result in a user's desktop being ruined. :wink:

Was the translation to German ok?

Jerry
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Jerry.
JerryF wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:29 pmWas the translation to German ok?
"Glückliches neues Jahr" is a very good translation of the corresponding English "Happy New Year". :)
Nonetheless, actually here in Germany, you will hear "Frohes neues Jahr" everywhere. Which would be "Merry New Year" in English, translated back literally.
That's the fun with idioms. :wink:

Karl
Lifeline
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I replaced the boot splash screen as mentioned in the links you gave me.

Thanks for that!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the one laptop, that I've done this 'upgrade' on - - worked just fine.

yeah - - the boot splash screen - - did get changed & had to be "adjusted" back to my preferred 'splash screen'.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bjmh46 »

Hi Jerry,
I've been an xfce user since mint 13. It's been my experience that xfce likes to rearrange your desktop icons any time you make any kind of change to the desktop, like re-size the panel etc. I can live with it because I love the no-nonsense straightforward and stable de.

Regards
Bob
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Pierre wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:01 am the one laptop, that I've done this 'upgrade' on - - worked just fine.

yeah - - the boot splash screen - - did get changed & had to be "adjusted" back to my preferred 'splash screen'.
8)
Unfortunately, the user desktop gets mess up. My partner has a custom pic for his desktop background and many shortcuts of URLs on the desktop that he likes to be in a certain way.

I was hoping that doing an upgrade within a series (19) wouldn't change a user's desktop.

:cry:
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

bjmh46 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:56 am Hi Jerry,
I've been an xfce user since mint 13. It's been my experience that xfce likes to rearrange your desktop icons any time you make any kind of change to the desktop, like re-size the panel etc. I can live with it because I love the no-nonsense straightforward and stable de.

Regards
Bob
Thanks Bob. The "problem" is that I can live with it, but my partner can't. He likes his custom picture on his desktop and his shortcuts of URLs just where he puts them.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

were you able to assist him, to get his desktop, back in order ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bjmh46 »

JerryF wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:55 pm
bjmh46 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:56 am Hi Jerry,

Regards
Bob
Thanks Bob. The "problem" is that I can live with it, but my partner can't. He likes his custom picture on his desktop and his shortcuts of URLs just where he puts them.
I can certainly sympathize, since my wife is exactly the same way. To make it worse, she's the direct opposite of the "minimalist" desktop philosophy. I learned a long time ago to maintain a recent screenshot of her desktop (laptop), and homescreen (android phone) so that I can rearrange in the event of a spurious change (usually accidently initiated by her). I have also learned to do the rearranging with a smile, and without comment!

Regards
Bob
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

bjmh46 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:42 am I have also learned to do the rearranging with a smile, and without comment!
That's true heroism....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

bjmh46 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:42 am maintain a recent screenshot of her desktop
This is what I resorted to doing with Windows prior to 7. I was never a minimalist either and had everything arranged in order, in "zones" keeping related items in groups on the desktop with any remaining space separating said groups. Regular hiccups resulted in all the icons being rearranged into a block aligned with the top left .. very, very annoying and frustrating as I spent ages setting that up. At least if it's happening in Xfce it seems to be only when upgrading to another point release, not on a seemingly random .. and frequent .. basis.
Pjotr wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:58 am That's true heroism....
It certainly is! :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Software & Applications”