Stacer - good utility

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Stacer - good utility

Post by muffybean »

I came across, what I think is a good utility and helps explain to me what is running, ability to close stuff to regain space and many other things. Wondered what the gurus think of it? https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/05/sta ... ner-ubuntu
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Running Linux Mint MATE on 2 desktops + Linux Mint Xfce on Netbook + Cinnamon VM on 3rd Desktop
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Stacer - good utility

Post by JoeFootball »

muffybean wrote: Wondered what the gurus think of it?
I would be hesitant to call myself a guru, but speaking for myself, I won't use such things.

Here's how I keep my system tidy: How to Clean Linux Mint Safely

Joe
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

No No No No No...lol...That "thing" is just another "crutch" cleaning apparatus that folks coming into Linux from Windows seem to believe that they just have to have to "clean" their Linux OS...its just another "wrecking ball" that can be too aggressive at what it does and can leave your system damaged resulting in doing Linux "gymnastics" and "contortionist" positions in order to repair the damage done.

Linux is NOT Windows and works entirely different.

Please read "pjotrs" blog site below:

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... -mint.html

Also below, I have included terminal command codes for you to copy and paste that should be all you will ever need to safely clean your Linux system without the bad affects of so-called Linux cleaning wrecking balls:

Kernel and other Cleanups after Deletions:

Remove superceeded/unused kernels using "Update Manager" and then click "View" tab and click "Linux Kernels"...leave just the "active" kernel and last used kernel just before the active one.

Then:

Code: Select all

sudo apt autoremove --purge
Then:
Clear the Thumbnail Cache:

rm -v -f ~/.cache/thumbnails/*/*.png ~/.thumbnails/*/*.png
Then:
Clear Miscellaneous Detritus:

dpkg -l | grep '^rc' | awk '{print $2}' | sudo xargs dpkg --purge
If you see "ERROR" marked in red on that 1st command, disregard that, it just means nothing there to clean at this time:
Then:

dpkg -l | grep '^rc' | awk '{print $2}' | xargs sudo apt-get purge
Clear DNS Cache:

sudo systemd-resolve --flush-caches
Then:
Flush Journald:

sudo journalctl --rotate

sudo journalctl --vacuum-time=1s
Thats it, thats all there is to it...Once a month is more than sufficient...And dont even think about "Defrag"...Linux is not constructed like Windows or Macs and does not fragment, therefore, no need for Defrag...DAMIEN

EDIT...I saw the site you referred to,
helps explain to me what is running
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/05/sta ... ner-ubuntu

and saw that Stacer seems to have incorporated a Linux "System Monitor" that you can have without using that "thing".

If its not already installed in LM you can easily do so by copy and paste with the following terminal command, its a stand alone application.

Install System Monitor

sudo apt install gnome-system-monitor
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

thanks DAMIEN1307

for putting all of that into one Post, where I can refer back to it from my Bookmarks if/when I think things need attention.

I had installed a few apps this week, and was trying to rely on Timeshift to get rid of the debris, but it seems that my Timeshift episodes were not frequent enough.

your post got rid of a huge amount of fluff for me.

thanks again.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Hi AZg1500...you are more than welcome and it feels good to be of help to folks such as yourself...DAMIEN

By the way, I cheat...i have put those commands along with many others on a USB to refer to and share with others by copy and paste, at a moments notice...lol.
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

Thank you all for your kind advice; as you can see I am still a relative novice when it comes to Linux. Can you please give me a terminal command so that I can take it off my system, where I can I prefer to work in Terminal as it helps me understand the commands more by using them. Many thanks
Running Linux Mint MATE on 2 desktops + Linux Mint Xfce on Netbook + Cinnamon VM on 3rd Desktop
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

muffybean wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:06 pm Thank you all for your kind advice; as you can see I am still a relative novice when it comes to Linux. Can you please give me a terminal command so that I can take it off my system, where I can I prefer to work in Terminal as it helps me understand the commands more by using them. Many thanks
Click on Menu, find Stacer, right click, choose Uninstall

then go thru the post above to get rid of all the debris

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=308780&p=1739230#p1739184
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

Click on Menu, find Stacer, right click, choose Uninstall

then go thru the post above to get rid of all the debris
Many thanks for all your kind advice. Stacer goodbye with all the other stuff and welcome system monitor. 8)
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Hi muffybean...Im happy that AZg1500 and myself could be of help to you...its about 11:06 pm where your at right now...time for a "cuppa" or maybe something more "stiff" ???...lol...DAMIEN

Ps...dont forget to mark it "Solved" and maybe change the title a little and call it...Stacer - "bad" utility...lol.
racer-x
Level 5
Level 5

Post by racer-x »

Out of curiosity I tried it out. I didn't install it, I used the AppImage version instead. I kinda like it actually. Very easy to use and I had it delete a bunch of old program cache, mostly instalation DEBs. No, I'm not afraid that it will hose my system, that's what Timeshift is for. I'll see sooner or later if it wrecked anything.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Hi racer-x,

Sound advice is something that anyone can take or leave at their own discretion, and its very true that the beauty of linux is that its an operating system that actually allows you to "shoot your self in the foot" if you wish to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzY1_h1odJ8

Pjotr wrote another little ditty in his easy linux blog that might well be worth reading as well, but to each his own.

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... s.html#ID4

whats the worst that can happen?, lose all your pics, videos, documents, tweaks that you made to the system itself ???...timeshift may not work as intended ???...then you re-install OS is all...DAMIEN
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:52 pm ...its just another "wrecking ball" ...
I'd like to clarify this part of the linked article:
Stacer is not as comprehensive at cleaning as, say, Bleachbit, but it’s much less intimidating as a result.
That should read:
Stacer is not as comprehensive at cleaning as, say, Bleachbit, but no less destructive.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

sigh, I once shot myself in the foot, stayed up way too late, saw the sun brightening up the sky,
but hey, "I am almost done with this project, let's get it done, then go to bed"

snooze snooze......... back to the last Image that I had on the USB HDD and restored things back to where they were before my dumKlutz move :lol:

with Linux Mint now, it is so much easier to just keep a copy of Atpik on the USB HDD, do a fresh install, run Aptik, and wallah! back to where I was ...... except from importing all of the /home backups :D
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

racer-x wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:17 pm Out of curiosity I tried it out. I didn't install it, I used the AppImage version instead. I kinda like it actually. Very easy to use and I had it delete a bunch of old program cache, mostly instalation DEBs. No, I'm not afraid that it will hose my system, that's what Timeshift is for. I'll see sooner or later if it wrecked anything.
If you like running software wrecking balls on your main system, you'll love GrUB-Customizer.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

If you like running software wrecking balls on your main system, you'll love GrUB-Customizer.
Bwahahahahahahahahahahah.

I think you meant to say "GrUB-Cripple-izer" or "GrUB-Crap-a-Lizer"...lol...DAMIEN
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Some reactionary hyperbole in this topic me thinks :roll: :wink: :mrgreen:

It's not actually a terrible application in my opinion, albeit it has a UI which I think some would label as fugly, and replicates many functions that are mostly already available in a variety of other apps. The cleaning options it offers are relatively innocuous, apt caches, logs, crash reports, contents of ~/.cache, trash. The most damage an uninformed user could do is with the easy GUI access it gives to reviewing and disabling systemd services.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Software & Applications”