Forum Bookmarks

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Forum Bookmarks

Post by muffybean »

I am learning how to work with Linux and when I come across an interesting topic I think I will refer back to at a later date I bookmark it. However, I was not too sure how to find the bookmarks and after searching around found them under my profile. Can I suggest say a link on the same bar where notifications, Private messages profile are labled simply Bookmarks.
Last edited by Moem on Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making the title a little clearer.
Running Linux Mint MATE on 2 desktops + Linux Mint Xfce on Netbook + Cinnamon VM on 3rd Desktop
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Bookmarks

Post by karlchen »

Hi, muffybean.

May I ask which kind of bookmarks you are talking about?

Internet browsers like Firefox and Chrome permit creating and maintaining bookmarks. Such bookmarks usually will refer to webpages.
But these bookmarks are browser specific. Even synchronizing bookmarks between different browsers can be a real challenge.

File-managers like Caja, Nemo and Thunar permit creating bookmarks, too. These bookmarks do not refer to webpages, but to directories on filesystems.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

May I ask which kind of bookmarks you are talking about?
Where you bookmark topics, the drop-down list under the spanner.
Running Linux Mint MATE on 2 desktops + Linux Mint Xfce on Netbook + Cinnamon VM on 3rd Desktop
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, muffybean.

Now I think I understand. You are talking about forum internal bookmarks, which are stored inside your forum user profile. Right?!
forum_bottom_icons.png
forum_bottom_icons.png (4.94 KiB) Viewed 1694 times
The spanner above is the spanner, which you mentioned and which permits you to bookmark posts or threads in this forum.

You have to go to your forum user profile (User Control Panel) => tab "Manage Bookmarks" to access the list of existing bookmarks.
I admit that this way is not really convenient.

Adding another shortcut to the forum webpages is beyond what a moderator can do. Cannot even tell how easy or difficult it would be to add a shortcut to the forum bookmarks.

Yet, I can tell that this is the link which will take you to your forum bookmarks: My bookmarked topics.
You could save this address as a bookmark in your browser. Clicking on that bookmark would then take you to your forum user profile => manage bookmarks. - Will only work provided you are logged in to the forum already.

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

Yet, I can tell that this is the link which will take you to your forum bookmarks: My bookmarked topics.
You could save this address as a bookmark in your browser. Clicking on that bookmark would then take you to your forum user profile => manage bookmarks. - Will only work provided you are logged in to the forum already.
Exactly Karlchen; accept what you are saying but in the meantime the link yo provided is now on my Bookmark Bar in Vivaldi, now I can go straight to them and if not needing them at the time, select my Quick Links top left to go to see all my other topics. Many thanks for your advice and assistance.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Forum Bookmarks

Post by chiefjim »

An alternate solution is to print as PDF those articles of interest. Comes in extremely handy when setting up a new machine. There are times when that information is needed before establishing an Internet connection. Amazing how many can also fit on that old USB flash drive that might be laying around.
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

chiefjim wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:14 am An alternate solution is to print as PDF those articles of interest. Comes in extremely handy when setting up a new machine. There are times when that information is needed before establishing an Internet connection. Amazing how many can also fit on that old USB flash drive that might be laying around.
I am using Vivaldi and all my bookmarks are visible on every machine and appliance I use, even on my smart phone, so it is no problem. If ever I do a clean or first time install, when I install Vivaldi and login to my Vivaldi account and then put in my encrypted password, my bookmarks are instantly displayed so I have no issues with this.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I use Firefox exclusively, and when I make a Bookmark, I add to the suggested name, or I just totally rename it so that the subject material that I want to look for is in the title.

then, when I want to find info on a topic, I use Firefox's Library function to find topic that contain the Search Terms..... I find this to be far superior to any other bookmarking system on Planet Earth.

FF's library is brought up by Bookmarks/Show All

Here is an example showing a search for "19.3"

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”