Linux Mint 19.3 'Tricia' What are your First Impressions?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Swampthing
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint 19.3 'Tricia' What are your First Impressions?

Post by Swampthing »

I updated today and no problems whatsoever.
Everything is running smooth, maybe a bit snappier.
I've been using this laptop more than ever and really like it.
dimspace
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dimspace »

Will read through the thread in a bit to see if any have had similar experiences, but 19.3 has not been a happy one for me.

My base install is Cinnamon, but I use XFCE as my daily driver, and 19.2 decided it was no longer going to let me have 4.14 from the Xubuntu ppa and insisted I could only have 4.12 for some reason (which really annoyed me) forcing me to upgrade.

But post upgrade ive had real performance issues. My machine regularly has uptime of 7+ days without any slow down or issues, but on 19.3 there is a noticable slowdown after about 12 hours use (panels slow to appear, whisker menu slow to pop up, maximising applications sluggish) forcing a reboot after 12-16 hours.

So far ive tried the upgrade route three times, and each time after a few hours its started really slowing down. So ive gone back to 19.2 for a day or two and its had no issues.

I would stick with 19.2 but the forcing me to stick with 4.12 instead of 4.14 for xfce is annoying.

At one point last night i got to the point i decided to just to a clean install of 19.3 xfce edition but on booting i got initramfs errors that i didnt have the patience to sort out at 4am :D
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Karlchen identified an issue with xiccd (which wasn't installed for me on 19.3 Xfce upgraded from 19.2 Xfce but was for him on a 19.3 Xfce upgraded from 19.1 Xfce; seems its presence might also also be hardware, e.g., scanner or alike, dependent) grabbing an entire CPU core and keeping it at 100% after logout. If you log out or if that same issue repeats in e.g. lockscreen situations if you do that, that might supposedly be it. I.e., try top when the system has slowed down.

Workaround as per viewtopic.php?f=57&t=308270#p1735438
dimspace
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dimspace »

just had a look, xiccd not installed on mine.

My other (very minor) grievance is that mint update icon is still showing in the legacy notification area and not in the more up to date status notifier area. (along equally annoyingly with hexchat and evolution).

Surprised its not been promoted yet. (dont get me started on Evolutions long running refusal to have anything to do with the notification area at all, relying on plugins)
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

dimspace wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:06 pm just had a look, xiccd not installed on mine.
Oh well, was worth a shot.

As to the status thingies; I'm not into GUI much, but noticed them looking horrible on 19.3 Xfce (it's fine on Cinnamon) and trying to do anything about that involved synchronizing two different set of settings. Invain. Yes, this seems to be a bit of a mess currently...
dimspace
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dimspace »

might have found (at least part of) my problem. update-apt-xapi seems to be running with alarming regularity (like every few minutes) and prioritising cpu useage to itself. Turned off automatic checking for updates everywhere for now till i see if thats the problem.
Undercover Rabbit

Post by Undercover Rabbit »

Linux MInt 19.3 "Tricia" with kernel 5.3.0-24 is running stable for me.

To change your start up/shutdown splash screen back to 19.2/18.x screen, see my how to guide.
viewtopic.php?f=211&t=308439
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Cinnamon and MATE 19.3 - all updates installed - are both running beautifully in high resolution. One single detail in MATE: the cursor or pointer is still huge. I can't figure out where to set it. dconf?
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

I was running Lubuntu 16.04 32 bit on a sparsely resourced Acer netbook AOA150 (1.6 GHz, 1.0 GB RAM).
Lubuntu16.04 ran out of update support in April.
The new Lubuntu 18.04 is no longer an ultralight distro so I switched to Linux Mint XFCE v19.3 32 bit which proved to be just as fast on the Acer netbook as Lubuntu 16.04.
Qyifal

Post by Qyifal »

I updated to Tricia last month and haven't had any problems with it..
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Cinnamon 19.3 newly installed and all updates in one go, runs perfectly. Adaptation of screen resolution, font and mouse pointer size with the on-board tools.

MATE 19.3 runs perfectly. The adaptation is not possible with the on-board tools: without the dconf Editor (and DuckDuck) you won't get anywhere.

Xfce 19.3 has brought nothing but the most severe screen disturbances. A setup under constant flashing? Would be something for epileptics...
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

absque fenestris wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:21 pm Xfce 19.3 has brought nothing but the most severe screen disturbances. A setup under constant flashing? Would be something for epileptics...
Try a different Window Manager in Menu > Settings > Desktop Settings. I use just Xfwm4 by itself.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

MrEen wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:55 pm
absque fenestris wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:21 pm Xfce 19.3 has brought nothing but the most severe screen disturbances. A setup under constant flashing? Would be something for epileptics...
Try a different Window Manager in Menu > Settings > Desktop Settings. I use just Xfwm4 by itself.
Thanks for the tip, but with me and Xfce... it will never work - we don't like each other... :lol:
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

absque fenestris wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:21 pm MATE 19.3 runs perfectly. The adaptation is not possible with the on-board tools: without the dconf Editor (and DuckDuck) you won't get anywhere.
I'm starting to know the contents of dconf by heart - in MATE 19.3 occasionally adjust the cursor size again.

Maus, verdammte.png

So to speak the daily cleaning up: but then it looks damn good... :D
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcfan5 »

I updated from 19.2, everything works fine but the new player "Celluloid" would work , it got sucked , even when I removed "Xplayer" (which I don't know if removing it was ok, since most people say it isn't recommended to remove programs that comes with the installation.. I am never sure about that..doesn't make sence ) .

Anyway the main problem that I have is that booting is too slow... like 60 seconds more or less. I would like to correct this. Can you refer to any post where you treat this issue,please??, I haven't found one that applies to my case.
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Getting pretty decent speeds with Trish 19.3 XFCE on an ancient blue Acer AOA150 8.9” 32 bit netbook sporting a measly 1.0 GB RAM pushed by an equally unspectacular 1.6 GHz single core Atom 270 chip.
Surfs the net, youtube, movies, word processing (LibreOffice) with no jerks or hesitancy.
Same old factory HDD ... no upgrades.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”