Linux mint won't install on new laptop SOLVED

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Okcoolguy
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux mint won't install on new laptop

Post by Okcoolguy »

Thanx to everyone for the input and trying to help.

I will try to install another version of Linux and report back to confirm whether this was the issue. Is Ubuntu Mate 19.04 ok for a total newb to Linux?

DisturbedDragon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DisturbedDragon »

Ubuntu is no Mint! But it will work well for you and is user friendly.
AMD Ryzen 3700x
MSI x470 Gaming Pro
1TB Crucial P1 NVMe
1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe
32GB DDR4 3200
Nvidia RTX2080 OC
-------------------------------------
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Kernel 5.3.0-40

kc1di
Level 15
Level 15

Post by kc1di »

Okcoolguy wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:34 pm
Thanx to everyone for the input and trying to help.

I will try to install another version of Linux and report back to confirm whether this was the issue. Is Ubuntu Mate 19.04 ok for a total newb to Linux?
19.04 is near end of life I would go for 19.10 for now
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Okcoolguy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Okcoolguy »

Hey everyone, just wanted to update that I was successful in installing pop os 19.10 this laptop and it runs fine, so I can confirm that the issue with installing mint on this machine was in fact the lack of a mmc driver on the current build of mint as both HAWR and DisturbedDragon suggested.

Thanx again for the input.
Hopefully next build of mint will include this and I'll have another go

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Linux mint won't install on new laptop SOLVED

Post by deepakdeshp »

Mint 19.3 will be available around Christmas.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

DisturbedDragon
Level 3
Level 3

Okcoolguy, glad it is working for you.
AMD Ryzen 3700x
MSI x470 Gaming Pro
1TB Crucial P1 NVMe
1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe
32GB DDR4 3200
Nvidia RTX2080 OC
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Kernel 5.3.0-40

Okcoolguy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Okcoolguy »

Hey guys.
Do you think the mint 19.3 beta may have resolved the lack of emmc driver issue?

I checked the release notes and it says "This release ships with linux-firmware 1.173.9 and the Linux kernel 5.0."

DisturbedDragon
Level 3
Level 3

19.3 is releasing with kernel 5.0 so it will include the same driver for the eMMC. Should work just fine.
AMD Ryzen 3700x
MSI x470 Gaming Pro
1TB Crucial P1 NVMe
1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe
32GB DDR4 3200
Nvidia RTX2080 OC
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Kernel 5.3.0-40

linuxfan2000
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linuxfan2000 »

According to this review 14w requires Ubuntu 19.10 (or Lubuntu 19.10) because of the eMMC drivers:
https://trenchreynolds.com/2019/12/16/l ... endations/

I tried installing LM 19.2 on my 14w and it had completely trashed the eMMC to a point that I could not recover it with any tools, could not restore Windows from an earlier backup and basically had to send the laptop to Lenovo for repair. I just got it back with the pig Win10 pre-installed again, which will get wiped out as soon as I create a backup :)
First I will try installing the new LM 19.3 hoping for the best with the 5.0 kernel and if that does not work then will fall back to Lubuntu 19.1
In case I trash its eMMC again I plan to use Lenovo's own recovery tool this time, if needed.

Final word about 14w - Lenovo went super cheap with this laptop and did not solder the M.2 connector on-board, so I could not even stick an SSD into it after the built-in eMMC stopped working. I suspect they did it on purpose to restrict upgrade options for this laptop at that low price point.

Cheers!

linuxfan2000
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linuxfan2000 »

Today I have installed Mint 19.3 Tricia on Lenovo 14w without any issues. During the installation I was monitoring the console - there were no errors related to the eMMC mmcblk1 device. Mint 19.3 came with kernel 5.0.0.32, so after the installation I upgraded the kernel to 5.3.0-24 and had no issues with it.

No more Windows 10 garbage that was slower than molasses and gobbled up 27GB out of 64GB available on eMMC. Mint is very snappy and uses only 9GB.
Great!

Okcoolguy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Okcoolguy »

linuxfan2000 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:52 pm
Today I have installed Mint 19.3 Tricia on Lenovo 14w without any issues. During the installation I was monitoring the console - there were no errors related to the eMMC mmcblk1 device. Mint 19.3 came with kernel 5.0.0.32, so after the installation I upgraded the kernel to 5.3.0-24 and had no issues with it
Great to hear. Thanks for your input. I'm gonna do the same to my 14w (currently with pop os) when I get a chance and report back

How do I update the kernel after the installation of the os?
Is it as simple as a command line? Perhaps you can point me to a tutorial on how to do this, thanks again

Vrai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vrai »

This is a great thread! Especially so whereas I purchased two of these machines. One for the wife and one for the mother-in-law.
I knew they were coming with Windows 10 pre-installed but had high hopes of being able to install Linux Mint.
Both my wife and my mother-in-law have been running Linux Mint for about 4 or 5 years now. They both needed new laptops and this Lenovo deal was too good to pass up. It isn't very powerful and I would not be satisfied with running it but for what they do it is just fine.

Very good to know that I will be able to install Mint on them! 😀
Miseris Succurrere Disco
Linux User # 440357 - Ubuntu User # 11205

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Okcoolguy wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:58 pm
linuxfan2000 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:52 pm
Today I have installed Mint 19.3 Tricia on Lenovo 14w without any issues. During the installation I was monitoring the console - there were no errors related to the eMMC mmcblk1 device. Mint 19.3 came with kernel 5.0.0.32, so after the installation I upgraded the kernel to 5.3.0-24 and had no issues with it
Great to hear. Thanks for your input. I'm gonna do the same to my 14w (currently with pop os) when I get a chance and report back

Is it as simple as a command line? Perhaps you can point me to a tutorial on how to do this, thanks again
You can install new kernel with update manager--view--kernels
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

to the OP, glad that you resolved your issues.

I too, had to wait until 19.3 was released before my 'new to market' hardware was recognized and Mint would install....

so glad to say goodbye to Win10
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

linuxfan2000
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linuxfan2000 »

Okcoolguy wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:58 pm

As deepakdeshp explained, you need to run Update Manager and it will find the new kernel (it will appear in the list of available updates). Once you install the new kernel and reboot the laptop, you will be running on that kernel. If it gives you troubles you will be able to boot into the previous kernel by holding Shift key at start-up to enter the Grub menu. See this page for details (preferably before you update the kernel, so you know your way back out of trouble): https://karlcode.owtelse.com/blog/2017/ ... us-kernel/

To view your active and installed, but not active kernels go to Update Manager, View menu, Linux Kernels item. Here you can remove unused old kernels, but always keep at least one older known good kernel as a fallback option.

Okcoolguy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Okcoolguy »

Hey I realize this is a bit late (I was not able to do this earlier as away on vacation) but I have finally installed mint 19.3 on my Lenovo 14w and can double confirm as someone else has mentioned here that it is running perfectly.

Unlike the previous version (19.2) which would not install because of the lack of drivers for emmc flash drives; this version 19.3 has fixed those issues..

Thanks again to everyone for your help and support 🙏😊

Return to “Newbie Questions”