downloaded program file

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rn1

downloaded program file

Post by rn1 »

Hi,
I have downloaded an updated firefox file which i want to install manually, as the security update from yesterday has not propagated to any of the sites from which to update firefox.

I have the tar.bz2 file, but hard as I have searched, including help, I cannot find a simply way to execute and have the progam installed over the existing installation. I am trying this through synaptic package manager as I believe this is the way I am supposed to.

would some kind soul give me a blow by blow desecription of exactly what I do with this file?

many thanks.
robert
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DAMIEN1307

Re: downloaded program file

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

PLEASE stick to the Official repository files for FF updates...they need to vet them first for bugs etc and will release the latest editions after the vetting process...i dont know if you have seen the latest chromium/chrome problems but it would be worth while to peruse them to see what can happen even with the latest updates because they have been way too quick to push them, complete with freeze/crash problems, all because of being to quick to give people their "latest and greatest" fiascos...need to be patient for "vetted" updates...DAMIEN

Ps...if you have not a clue how to use and impliment tr.gz...AKA "tar" files...do not do this as a novice.
rn1

Post by rn1 »

there is a huge and vital issues with firefox and chrome right now....firefox issue being actively exploited as I write this..........immediate advice is to update both immediately.....and I cannot wait.

kindly reconsider your post if you don't mind.
thank you.
rn1

Post by rn1 »

ps as security is a priority here, I am willing to take my chances on the update. besides, I have also updated it in windows with zero problems.
otherwise, i would be taking your advice, even as I would like to get an academic answer to my question as well, please.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

You are not being exploited...you are in a panic for no reason...you are running a Linux distribution...not Windows...DAMIEN

just look for your update manager to handle these updates...stop worrying.
rn1

Post by rn1 »

amazing.

we are in the investigative business. we take zero chances where other people's data are concerned...what you would want if you were a client....and even if the chance is near zero, if all we have to do is update to the latest version as people IN THE SECURITY business are strongly urging, then that is what makes sense for our clients...and why we are a success.

indeed, we would be derelict if we did not effect such a seemingly simple solution.

we came here to learn what should have been an easy and academic answer. instead, we get remarks about panicing, from people who know nothing about our business, regardless of what they think the chances are in linux vs. windows (we are here because we realize the chances are greatly reduced).

I am aware that providing help to new kids is not always the easiest thing to do, and i am sure more than a few appreciate the help. that said, either you are in the business of providing the help or you are not.....and taking multiple posts to deride our reasons for wanting to do this, never mind that we do want to get to learn linux as fast as we can, is more time consuming and less effective, never mind offensive, than simply answering the question.

robert
DanJ

Post by DanJ »

Last edited by DanJ on Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rn1

Post by rn1 »

thank you kindly.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

If you need Firefox updated ASAP, then I would stick to the Mozilla release builds in the future.
rn1

Post by rn1 »

much appreciated.

Return to “Beginner Questions”