mint 19.3 cinnamon only offering oem install?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
abrewer0820
Level 1
Level 1

mint 19.3 cinnamon only offering oem install?

Post by abrewer0820 »

The boot menu from usb installer only offering oem install option? Tried to search around to find a solution and i apologize if it has been answered already. I've downloaded the .iso multiple times in case i got a bad image but nothing different.

rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Re: mint 19.3 cinnamon only offering oem install?

Post by rickNS »

Not 100% sure (as I'm still 19.0), but I don't "think" this is a problem, or will make any difference except that you won't have to enter a username / password during the install, instead you'll do that during the first after-install boot.

I would just go ahead without worry.

PS welcome to the Mint forums.
Rick (real name)
Mint 19.0 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's

abrewer0820
Level 1
Level 1

Post by abrewer0820 »

I will give it a try! Thanks for your reply.

I have done a few intalls of various distros, but definitely still a newbie... the menu option stating "for manufacturers only" put me off a bit so wanted to check in.

Thanks again.

rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rickNS »

abrewer0820 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:04 am
I will give it a try! Thanks
Have a read here if you think it may ease your mind.
https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... t/oem.html

abrewer0820
Level 1
Level 1

Post by abrewer0820 »

It would appear the one significant difference with this option is that I would not have the option to install it alongside something else, if I'm understanding properly?

rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rickNS »

^ Yes that sounds right....no along side option.
It is strange that your given OEM install only, never seen or even heard of that.

Just a thought, where did you download from ?
I'm going to download the 19.3 cinnamon, and see what I get here....I'll be awhile.

JoeFootball
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JoeFootball »

abrewer0820 wrote: The boot menu from usb installer only offering oem install option?
rickNS wrote: It is strange that your given OEM install only, never seen or even heard of that.
I believe that's correct, as there's no "direct from the boot menu" non-OEM option, but once you're booted to the live session, the standard install is available via the icon on the desktop.

Joe

abrewer0820
Level 1
Level 1

Post by abrewer0820 »

Sorry for the long delay... work called.

I downloaded direct from the Linux Mint official site. And when I clicked on the install icon from the live session, I still only had the OEM option.

rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rickNS »

abrewer0820 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:08 pm
when I clicked on the install icon from the live session, I still only had the OEM option.
That is strange indeed.
I downloaded the 19.3 cinnamon, and it was exactly as JoeFootball said;
JoeFootball wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:04 am
but once you're booted to the live session, the standard install is available
I let the first boot screen time out on it's own (if that makes any difference?) to start 19.3 cinnamon. Then clicked on the install icon > continue > continue to installation type, and there I had "NO" option for OEM type install.

Yes you will note I have no option to install "along side" that's because this is in a virtual box, where there isn't anything else on the virtual disk.
Attachments
Screenshot at 2020-01-09 15-48-34.png
Screenshot at 2020-01-09 15-46-55.png

abrewer0820
Level 1
Level 1

Post by abrewer0820 »

rickNS wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:01 pm
abrewer0820 wrote:
when I clicked on the install icon from the live session, I still only had the OEM option.
That is strange indeed.
I downloaded the 19.3 cinnamon, and it was exactly as JoeFootball said;
JoeFootball wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:04 am
but once you're booted to the live session, the standard install is available
I let the first boot screen time out on it's own (if that makes any difference?) to start 19.3 cinnamon. Then clicked on the install icon > continue > continue to installation type, and there I had "NO" option for OEM type install.

Yes you will note I have no option to install "along side" that's because this is in a virtual box, where there isn't anything else on the virtual disk.
Thank you! Believe it or not, letting the initial boot menu "time out" did the trick... when it booted into the live session on its own, and I clicked on the install icon, it let me do a standard install, including installing alongside Ubuntu.

Thanks again.

esaphire3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by esaphire3 »

abrewer0820 wrote:
Sorry for the long delay... work called.

I downloaded direct from the Linux Mint official site. And when I clicked on the install icon from the live session, I still only had the OEM option.
I just had a similar thing just happen with Mint 19.3
I downloaded the ISO from the official site, and when I tried the install option it did not say OEM install but I got an error message at the point where you would usually pick which device/partitions you would like to use for the installation.
The error message came with an option to "Continue," warning me that "your installation may be broken or corrupted."
When I continued anyways, it went straight to the end "please wait while Linux is being installed on your computer."
I quickly canceled it and rebooted my computer, it went to windows boot repair and then rebooted into windows succesfully.
I tried multiple times and got the same error and not giving option to install to external USB (which is what I was trying to do.)
I ended up downloading Rufus Portable (https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/rufus-portable) and using that to create my live USB, instead of manually unpacking the ISO image onto the USB which i had been doing to create my live USB's until now.
I booted into live off the USB I made using Rufus, and when I ran the installer I did not get any errors and was able to successfully install linux onto my USB.
Hope this helps anyone getting this or similar issues, but being that I am relatively new to Linux, I am very confused about why what i did made a diference.
"The first step is to establish that something
is possible; then probability will occur."
-Elon Musk
There is light at the end of the tunnel. Pray that it's not a train.

Racine Steel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Racine Steel »

In my case the Mint 19.3 Live CD, failed to boot at Start Linux Mint. Thought maybe something was on the disk, but cleaning did not help. Booted Live CD again. This time I chose Start in compatibility mode. It went to the Desktop this time. I clicked on the install icon and had success installing next to (Ugh) Windows 10. Hope this helps someone.

Return to “Installation & Boot”