Incorrect text display

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Incorrect text display

Post by trytip »

damm your fonts are messed up, what did you do? show a snap of your font settings
Slowpoke47
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Slowpoke47 »

trytip wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:07 pm damm your fonts are messed up, what did you do? show a snap of your font settings
This is current. Problem arose while using default font. Switched to Century Schoolbook because, along with zoom, the text is more legible. BTW, the defect appeared without any input from me. Note that in parts of the FF menu, as seen here, some text displays correctly.
Fonts.png
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i didn't mean firefox settings, mint font settings
Slowpoke47
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Slowpoke47 »

System font s/shot:
System fonts.png
Just tried an experiment- we have had only one user to date, but when I created a new user, text etc. displays normally. This seems to tell me that the problem is in the original user home directory.

Last month, the mouse died a gradual death, unrecognized until it stopped responding, but I noticed and corrected some oddball errors at that time. No idea what else needs to be fixed.

Also realized that screenshots I have posted here have been huge, but they don't appear as such on my own screen when I open them.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

locate fonts.conf you installed some fonts or changed a configuration somewhere
Slowpoke47
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Slowpoke47 »

The result of your command:
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ locate fonts.conf
/etc/fonts/fonts.conf
/etc/fonts/conf.avail/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf
/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf
/etc/ghostscript/fontmap.d/10gsfonts.conf
/home/steve/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf
/timeshift/snapshots/2019-11-28_17-32-51/localhost/etc/fonts/fonts.conf
/timeshift/snapshots/2019-11-28_17-32-51/localhost/etc/fonts/conf.avail/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf
/timeshift/snapshots/2019-11-28_17-32-51/localhost/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf
/timeshift/snapshots/2019-11-28_17-32-51/localhost/etc/ghostscript/fontmap.d/10gsfonts.conf
/var/lib/dpkg/info/gsfonts.conffiles
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$
I don't know what this is telling me...
I see a date here 11/28- but this problem arose just before Christmas.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

show what you have for

Code: Select all

xed $HOME/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Slowpoke47 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:22 am System font s/shot:System fonts.png
Just tried an experiment- we have had only one user to date, but when I created a new user, text etc. displays normally. This seems to tell me that the problem is in the original user home directory.
Post the content of the fonts.conf file that trytip mentioned.
Also realized that screenshots I have posted here have been huge, but they don't appear as such on my own screen when I open them.
Do you have a hi-res monitor? Post output of

inxi -G
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Slowpoke47
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Just now able to get back here. Earlier I misstated the problem onset, my apology- not around Christmas- started a week ago.
fonts.conf.png

steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ xed $HOME/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ inxi -G
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD RS780 [Radeon HD 3200] driver: radeon v: kernel 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: ati,radeon 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1440x900~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: AMD RS780 (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.15.0-72-generic LLVM 8.0.0) 
  v: 3.3 Mesa 19.0.8 
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ 
Don't believe this monitor is anything special.
Slowpoke47
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Time to cut my losses on this- currently setting up a second Admin account which will eventually replace the corrupted one. I'll need to move the data from the old into the new, and replicate the settings as well.

So far, the new account displays correctly. Should have done this before agonizing over forensic analysis. Perhaps more experienced users will point out any holes in this strategy, for which, thanks in advance.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

your fonts.conf is quite messed up there is no antialias and hintstyle is none.
so if you create a new user then be sure not to make the same mistake that replaced your fonts.conf because you will be right back here.
navigate to .config/fontconfig in your file manager , rightclick on fonts.conf and compress (to back it up temporary) and replace with this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">

<fontconfig>

<match target="font">
        <edit mode="assign" name="embeddedbitmap"><bool>false</bool></edit>

<edit mode="assign" name="antialias">  <bool>true</bool></edit>
        <edit mode="assign" name="autohint">   <bool>false</bool></edit>
        <edit mode="assign" name="hinting">    <bool>true</bool></edit>

<edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle"><const>hintslight</const></edit>

<edit mode="assign" name="rgba"><const>rgb</const></edit>

<edit mode="assign" name="lcdfilter"><const>lcddefault</const></edit>
    </match>

</fontconfig>
save and then in Terminal you need to refresh fonts cache with: sudo fc-cache -fv
reboot. if fonts are the same there are more configs somewhere that either you changed or some application did

PS: next time do not post a picture of the text, but select all text copy and paste it here in a code bracket
Slowpoke47
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Slowpoke47 »

trytip wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:41 am your fonts.conf is quite messed up there is no antialias and hintstyle is none.
so if you create a new user then be sure not to make the same mistake that replaced your fonts.conf because you will be right back here.

PS: next time do not post a picture of the text, but select all text copy and paste it here in a code bracket
If I had a clue about how I got to that point, I would have some chance of undoing the damage. At my newbie level, I'm better off to start over. So far, so good. If I need to go back and continue the effort to repair the damaged user account, I'll refer back to this thread and your post.

I have learned about posting code here, but since that display looked to me like a gui display, I didn't think the copy/ paste would work, so I didn't try it.

Many thanks for your assistance and patience.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I suppose it's worth a shot copying the fonts.conf file from the new account to the original one & taking ownership of it there with sudo chown $USER:$USER ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf from within the original account, to see if that fixes it.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Slowpoke47
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Slowpoke47 »

BG405 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:42 pm I suppose it's worth a shot copying the fonts.conf file from the new account to the original one & taking ownership of it there with sudo chown $USER:$USER ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf from within the original account, to see if that fixes it.
Thanks for the suggestion. Is this reversible in case I screw things up further?
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Slowpoke47 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:13 am Is this reversible in case I screw things up further?
It is, if you need to, as long as you make a backup of the file you are replacing before you copy the new one there. I tend to make a backup of such files by copying it to e.g. fonts.conf.old (in the same directory) so if things go awry, you can remove the new file & then remove the .old from the backup.

Terminal commands to do so would be:
cp ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf.old to make the copy.
Then if you need to restore it rm ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf followed by mv ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf.old ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf. You can of course use your file manager to do this e.g. Nemo.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Slowpoke47
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Thank you. As a newbie I'm somewhat terminal-challenged, but if I get my courage up I'll try it.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

You're welcome. As for Terminal, I use it all the time but it's entirely up to you if/when you want to explore it. I (along with a number of others on here) just find it easier to post Terminal commands for stuff like this plus I'm not sure which desktop environment you are using, hence my guess at Nemo for the file manager. :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”