Site of device drivers

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
KenWA
Level 2
Level 2

Site of device drivers

Post by KenWA »

I am setting up a new printer in LM 19.3 for which a specific driver is not offered. I have found the driver ont he Canon website and downloaded it but installation requires that I provide the location. I have no idea where LM stores device drivers. Can anyone help?

Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Site of device drivers

Post by Neil Edmond »

Downloaded files, including driver files will be found in the "Downloads" directory. Depending on the package format, they can be installed with Gdebi or you may have to extract a zip file before running an installation executatable.

KenWA
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWA »

The downloaded file is in Downloads. My request was where do I install the file so that Mint can find it when I set up the printer.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur »

KenWA wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:50 am
The downloaded file is in Downloads. My request was where do I install the file so that Mint can find it when I set up the printer.
What's the URL of the file on the Canon website?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Yes, what Flenur said. Looks like you might be trying to follow a procedure for installing a Windows device driver and things work much differently on Linux. Printer drivers are embedded in the Linux kernel, and will automatically be used when you choose the printer model you are using in the "Printers" setup dialog.

Kadaitcha Man
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Neil Edmond wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:34 am
Printer drivers are embedded in the Linux kernel
Printer definitions are not.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:07 am
Neil Edmond wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:34 am
Printer drivers are embedded in the Linux kernel
Printer definitions are not.
Well, they are unless they aren't, like any other Linux driver.

The OP needs to post the EXACT make and model of this printer.

And I agree the OP likely dl'ed a Windows driver which ain't gonna work,.

KenWA
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWA »

Let me start from the beginning again. The printer is a Canon LBP6200connected through USB and MInt recognises the device but offers a long list of drivers but none of these are specific to this printer. It suggests Generic (Text only) which does not work i.e. it cannot print a test page. I therefore went on-line to the Canon website and picked a driver for LBP6200 for 64-bit Linux (https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consume ... 20(64-bit) and this arrived in the Downloads folder. So I am not trying to work with a Windows driver. I tried to install the driver through the Terminal but install requires a location - hence my post.
The url posted merely confirms what I have done.
Mint does not recognise the driver in Downloads to add to the list it offered so I am asking where I can place the driver so that it is recognised and offered.

AndyMH
Level 10
Level 10

Post by AndyMH »

You downloaded the wrong file. The link points to an addon 'auto shutdown' feature. The link you want is:
https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consume ... disclaimer
It's a 122MB archive (tar.gz), if you look inside under debian you will find two deb files. I assume one is the driver, the other for CUPS. Extract the files and in your file manager double click on the files to install. I'd do the 'common' one first.
Screenshot from 2020-01-11 18-05-52.png
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

KenWA
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWA »

I did download two files one of which is /home/ken/Downloads/linux-capt-drv-v271-uken/64-bit_Driver/Debian/cndrvcups-capt_2.71-1_amd64.deb and the other /home/ken/Downloads/linux-capt-drv-v271-uken/64-bit_Driver/Debian/cndrvcups-common_3.21-1_amd64.deb

Where would you suggest I go from here?

AndyMH
Level 10
Level 10

Post by AndyMH »

Extract the files and in your file manager double click on the files to install.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

KenWA
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWA »

I thought I was winning here but things have not gone the right way. I used Gdebi to install linux-capt-drv=v271=uken/64-bit_driver/Debian/cndrvcups-common_3.21_1_amd64.deb followed by linux-capt-drv-v271-uken/64-bit_Driver/Debian/cndrvcups-capt_2.71_amd64.deb.
I deleted the printer I had originally tried to set up and then started to add a new printer again. MInt identified the LBP6200 as a USB printer and searched for a driver. However, unlike my previous attempts, no list of drivers were displayed. However the properties of the printer were now different and included duplexing. However, once again attempts to print a test page resulted in a message that printing was occurring followed by a message that printing was complete but not only did nothing print but viewing the print queue showed it to be empty.
Where does one go from here.

KenWA
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWA »

Update:
Going through the process of adding a printer again I right clicked on the Canon LBP6200 icon and selected "Properties"
The Make & Model was given as Canon LBP6200 CAPT (JP) and I clicked on "Change" and was offered a list of printer models with Canon selected.
I accepted this and was then offered a list of three drivers. The first was Canon LBP6200 CAPT (JP) and marked (Recommended). Accepted.
On printing a test page it again said printing then printing completed but no printing occurred and the print queue remains empty.
I then tried the two alternative drivers marked (UK) and (US) with the same result. My printer was manufactured in Japan so (JP) seems right.

How can things which look so correct fail to come up with any sort of result? There must be someone out there who can make sense of this situation. Help!

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Whilst I can't help with your specific issue, I think you are more likely to attract attention of someone who has experience with those printers if you change the title in your opening post in this thread to something like "Canon LBP6200 installed but no print output". :wink:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

KenWA
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWA »

Thank you. I came to the same conclusion and have already posted under the title USB Printer which is better than the current title but perhaps not specific enough. If nothing happens I will try again. I appreciate you comment which is helpful whereas some of the replies one gets seem to be dashed off without any real thought.

Return to “Newbie Questions”