Move Root Partition to the Left?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Move Root Partition to the Left?

Post by pcpunk »

Hey guys, I'm wanting to install another distro on my drive. I thought I would just install the Dreaded Windows 10 and Mint's KDE 18.3 in dual boot, which I did. But then I realized I could have squeezed another Distro in there if I had give more space. I could just install to a small partition created from the End of my Home Partition 80GB which I may have to. This is not my Main Machine, I don't need much space for each OS/Distro, just enough to install a few programs and Updates, and get one more Distro on there.

I created some space from Windows 10 at the end right next to Root 20GB of Mint's KDE. Then I went in with KDE Partition Manager (this may be my mistake) from a live Flash Drive and tried to move Root 20GB of KDE to the Left, and then was going to move Home 80GB over to the left also, and then use that extra space at the end to install another Distro. I could not do it, I thought I'd done this years ago. I have 20GB of Unallocated Space to move Root to the Left but can't get it to move. Do I need to use gparted instead, or is this type of operation not permitted?

Thanks, pc
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
kukamuumuka

Re: Move Root Partition to the Left?

Post by kukamuumuka »

Is swap partition on? if yes, swapoff it.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Thanks, I'll try that!
Super Clean Runs Perfect
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

You can directly use the 20 GB space to install another district. But the uuid of the existing partitions may change creating boot problems. Always backup your data before you attempt anything with partitions.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

No, I want to use that 20GB at the end in addition to another 10-20GB=30-40GB maybe for another Distro, but thanks. Meaning, I'd like to have at least another 30GB For the new install, but prefer 40GB.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

kukamuumuka wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:17 pm Is swap partition on? if yes, swapoff it.
I did not see that option in KDE Partition Manager as I think I had in the past with gparted and forget how to do it from a Live USB? Something like

Code: Select all

"sudo swap off /dev/sdax" ?
Super Clean Runs Perfect
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Code: Select all

sudo swapoff -a
assuming it's even a swap partition. But if you're used to GParted, why not just use that?
deepakdeshp wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:27 pm You can directly use the 20 GB space to install another district. But the uuid of the existing partitions may change creating boot problems. Always backup your data before you attempt anything with partitions.
The UUID is a file-system parameter and thus only changes when you format a partition or specifically modify the file system to change the UUID. You may have been thinking of the partition number, that one would change if it was a logical partition (i.e. inside of an extended partition) because logical partitions do not have a real partition number, just a count/index.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I could not do it,
Have you got a MSDOS (legacy) or GPT partition table? Post a screenshot using either gparted or the KDE partition manager. If gparted, view > device information before the screen shot.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Definitely MBR! on sda

As you can see I already created 30gb partition at the end but would still like to know how to add 20 more to it by moving these partitions to the Left.

https://postimg.cc/zbwDt1Gt
Super Clean Runs Perfect
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

pcpunk wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:29 pm Definitely MBR! on sda

As you can see I already created 30gb partition at the end but would still like to know how to add 20 more to it by moving these partitions to the Left.

https://postimg.cc/zbwDt1Gt
You need to move and grow Extended partition /dev/sda3 first, so then you can move /dev/sda5 and /dev/sda6
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

kukamuumuka wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:43 pm You need to move and grow Extended partition /dev/sda3 first, so then you can move /dev/sda5 and /dev/sda6
Thanks for seeing my problem, the procedure is under way as I write this. I'll post back the results when finished.

Thanks, pc
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

So far so good, will need to reboot and verify, then Install the next distro.

Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

EDIT: ALL FIXED NOW, THANKS FOR EVERYTHING!!!

Triple Boot all done and all works well.
Super Clean Runs Perfect

Return to “Installation & Boot”