[SOLVED] What program to back up all of my system ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lumiere

[SOLVED] What program to back up all of my system ?

Post by Lumiere »

Hi I'm looking for a tool to back up my system (mint 19.1) but I don't know much about them.
I'm not even sure if that's the system that I want to back up or the partitions. So here is what I'd want :

- Back up everything: root, home (they're on the same partition) and the boot partiton
- Back up to an external HDD in ntfs format
- Basically if the system becomes broken or if my drive dies, I can restore everything as it was at the time of the back up
- One single utility would be prefered

By doing a fresh reinstallation and then restoring from inside the system, is it possible ?
Or is it from a live usb that I operate ?
I'm open for your software suggestions of course :)

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: What program to back up all of my system ?

Post by kc1di »

Of Course timeshift comes pre- installed and does a good job of taking snapshost of your system.
But if you want to do a complete back up Clonezilla may be better tool. It's in the repository and can be installed via Synaptic.
You can read more about it here: https://clonezilla.org
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I don't think that Timeshift can save its files to NTFS filesystem.

Edit: Any particular reason why you want to save to NTFS disk? If you have room, I would partition the external disk so that there's an EXT4 partition to use for Timeshift or other programs.

I dual boot so:

I split my second hard drive so I can use File History and a backup tool in Windows (NTFS) and then use Timeshift and Aptik and other backup tools for Linux (EXT4)
Last edited by JerryF on Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lumiere

Post by Lumiere »

No it can't. Clonezilla seems to be an option though.
Waiting to see if other suggestions pop up, but thanks for your answers so far
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

See edit above.
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

Lumiere wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:01 am Hi I'm looking for a tool to back up my system (mint 19.1) but I don't know much about them.
I'm not even sure if that's the system that I want to back up or the partitions. So here is what I'd want :

- Back up everything: root, home (they're on the same partition) and the boot partiton
- Back up to an external HDD in ntfs format
- Basically if the system becomes broken or if my drive dies, I can restore everything as it was at the time of the back up
- One single utility would be prefered

By doing a fresh reinstallation and then restoring from inside the system, is it possible ?
Or is it from a live usb that I operate ?
I'm open for your software suggestions of course :)

Thanks
The real problem is NTFS. Is there a specific reason why you want to backup to an NTFS filesystem rather than an ext4 filesystem?
Lumiere

Post by Lumiere »

Hi, I dual boot (windows / L.mint 19.1) so it's just to be able to access the whole disk from both systems, but I admit the idea of splitting it for an ext4 partition is not bad and I didn't think of it.

Now it seems that what I'm looking for is more along the lines of Clonezilla (and would work with one ntfs partition).
So now I'm wondering, while I'm in a LM19.1 live usb session, can I install a program right there on the usb drive in LM and will it be persistent ?
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Lumiere wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:55 pm ...
So now I'm wondering, while I'm in a LM19.1 live usb session, can I install a program right there on the usb drive in LM and will it be persistent ?
Only if you burned the ISO on the USB with the persistence option.
Last edited by JerryF on Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

You need to clear on what you want, timeshift and clonezilla are two completely different things:
  • timeshift is a file backup utility (by default it backs up / excluding /home) and when paired with a utility like backintime (backups up /home only by default) covers everything. With a file backup utility you can restore individual files.
  • Clonezilla is an image backup utility, it backs up complete partitions, it doesn't care about files. When you restore you have to restore the entire partition.
Ideally you want both, and backing up to an different drive, preferably external. Clonezilla and backintime will write to ntfs partitions, timeshift insists on ext4 (to preserve all the file permissions).
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Linux-Bill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Linux-Bill »

All software cloning is problematic. Hence, I use hardware cloning only. Never any failures.
Lumiere

Post by Lumiere »

Thanks a lot to all of you, I've got my answers and learned a few things.

So yeah, now I know that it's a partition backup tool that I want. To restore the whole system, even if it's the entire drive that has died, or like just the boot partition if it got messed up.

Individual files, I've always backed them up manually.
But now I know my options, what I want and how it is done, thanks !
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: [SOLVED] What program to back up all of my system ?

Post by AndyMH »

So yeah, now I know that it's a partition backup tool that I want
Have PM'ed you
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Daddylongleg

Re: [SOLVED] What program to back up all of my system ?

Post by Daddylongleg »

Hi Lumiere, a little late I admit. But my experience may help you to save time. I use win10-64bit and Mint19.3 on a single (Laptop) HD as Dual-Boot. Tried Timeshift and WinImageBackup, but could not restore neither system WIN nor MINT! Data of course on seperate USB-HD. A solution is certainly Clonezilla, but not easy to handle. The only simple way, to me experience, was using Acronis TrueImage (a Trial-Version is free of charge). I tested it many times, it works. Hope my comment helps you.
Additonal comment: The idea to backup and restore the different partitions NTFS and ext4 separatly did not work.

Return to “Software & Applications”