Can I ask for help in this forum if I am using some other distro ?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linux_rules
Level 4
Level 4

Can I ask for help in this forum if I am using some other distro ?

Post by linux_rules »

Hi,
I am waiting for Mint 20 to be released. Presently I am using Manjaro.
There is no other distro forum as friendly as this one.
Can I ask for help here while using Manjaro ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DAMIEN1307

Re: Can I ask for help in this forum if I am using some other distro ?

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Shouldnt be much of any problem to do so as long as its posted in the "Chat about Linux" section of the forums...DAMIEN
linux_rules
Level 4
Level 4

Post by linux_rules »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:42 am Shouldnt be much of any problem to do so as long as its posted in the "Chat about Linux" section of the forums...DAMIEN
Got it. Thanks.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

There are some manjaro users here (not me), but if a Linux distro user support forum isn't getting me anywhere I'm going to switch distros.

There are 2 Linux distros I've seen that are beginner suitable because of their support, Mint and Ubuntu.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
linux_rules
Level 4
Level 4

Post by linux_rules »

Hoser Rob wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:44 am There are some manjaro users here (not me), but if a Linux distro user support forum isn't getting me anywhere I'm going to switch distros.

There are 2 Linux distros I've seen that are beginner suitable because of their support, Mint and Ubuntu.
I totally agree with you. I am waiting very eagerly for Mint 20. I will install it as soon as it gets released.
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

Strange... I don't find Manjaro forum less friendly at all. At the same time, the two distros are so different to the point that I don't understand how can reasonably expect to find any relevant help here regarding Manjaro?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Some people ask Cinnamon questions here when they're running Cinnamon on Manjaro.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

^Yes, actually that makes it even worse :mrgreen:. Manjaro Cinnamon is not an officially supported flavor but a community spin.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

linux_rules wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:31 am Can I ask for help here while using Manjaro ?
“You can ask.”
— Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

:lol:

Seriously, ask. Just understand that we're not authorities on (or necessarily even knowledgeable about) Manjaro.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

ColdBootII wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:50 pm ^Yes, actually that makes it even worse :mrgreen:. Manjaro Cinnamon is not an officially supported flavor but a community spin.
Why? Cinnamon specific questions are generally distro agnostic.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

: Yes but when it comes to troubleshooting that might differ considerably.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

In think we are misunderstanding each other - when I say Cinnamon specific I mean questions that directly relate to the Desktop Environment and not the underlying distro whatever that may be.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

you can surely ask, about some issue, with another Linux System,
but, you could be somewhat limited, by the amount of forum.folks that have any experience, with your issue.

this scenario, would also happen, on the bigger, generic Linux Forums, as well.
:o
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

smurphos wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:08 am In think we are misunderstanding each other - when I say Cinnamon specific I mean questions that directly relate to the Desktop Environment and not the underlying distro whatever that may be.
Of course, however, OP was formulated differently not can I ask for help using Cinnamon, but
Can I ask for help here while using Manjaro ?
And there was already a thread asking about Manjaro compatibility with particular hardware (from a new member). Manjaro mods would more than likely dispense such posts very quicky.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Pierre wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:17 am you can surely ask, about some issue, with another Linux System,
but, you could be somewhat limited, by the amount of forum.folks that have any experience, with your issue.
That's certainly a factor. And while we do allow established members to ask non-Mint questions in the chat section of the board, we generally suggest first time posters to rather use their distro's boards instead.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

'Friendliness' isn't always the issue. If you're a newbie using Debian and you ask the typical sort of beginner's question you'd find here or on ubuntuforums, they will usually be quite friendly and politely suggest you install Ubuntu or Mint instead of Debian.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux-dummie »

Yes. This is NOT the Arch-Linux forum! :lol:
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

I'm actually waiting for the OP to describe the problem that needs solving here. :)
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
A-MAN

Post by A-MAN »

May I ask why you do not want to post on the Manjaro forum? I am also a Manjaro user and we do provide support for the community editions on our forum. Please consider posting your question there as well as here. If you still want to share your problem here, I will translate between Arch and Debian syntax as best I can. That will help the gurus over here help you as well.

https://forum.manjaro.org/c/support-for ... editions/7
Please do not be afraid to post your problem, if you need step by step guidance you can also post in newbie corner.
https://forum.manjaro.org/c/newbies/12

We don't bite. Sorry if you do encounter a rude user or two but that tends to come with being an Arch-based distro. We also get a ton of trolls so that tends to put people in a sour mood on occasion. But as long as you are polite and cooperative we will do everything we can to solve your issue, just like the folks here at Mint do. Now then, what seems to be the issue?

EDIT: I should also clarify that I use Mint on two of my other systems, hence why I am on this forum as well.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I have not found much difference between LM 19.3 cinnamon 64 and LMDE4 cinnamon 64. Most all of the terminal commands I get into every once in a while are the same copy and paste from my library I have been keeping.

Return to “Chat about Linux”