Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
dl_sledding
Level 1
Level 1

Annoying display issues

Post by dl_sledding »

So, just got a new Thinkpad T490. I have updated the firmware (using fwupdmgr) to the latest and greatest. I was having a LOT of crashes (like, even the clock would stop), and I eventually found the answer in updating to the Nvidia video drivers. However, I still have a couple of issues with the display:

1. I installed VirtualBox, and it required me to perform a password-protected procedure on my next reboot (I believe something to do with UEFI allowing a driver to run???) I am very unsure of what this did, but Virtualbox works fine now, and prior to this procedure it would not allow me to load the vboxdrv module. Anyway, since that procedure was run, my login screen is now black. No cursor, no mouse pointer, nothing. I can blindly type my password, and I then get my desktop. I have searched for the solution to this, but have not had any luck even finding a reason it's happening...

2. I have the Lenovo Pro Docking Station, where I have an HP ZR30w monitor connected (DisplayPort). I intermittently have a "flash to black" moment. The time between the flashes is random: it will happen twice in 10 seconds, then not again for a minute or more, then every few seconds; you get the idea. It's random. It's like the connection between the monitor and laptop are resetting, almost. The display is perfect, no tearing or any other anomalies, just the intermittent black flash. I see nothing in any log files that indicates something is broken, so I am betting this is a firmware or driver issue...

Not so concerned about #2, as it's simply an annoyance, but #1 is a problem that I want to fix for sure. Any ideas or suggestions would really be appreciated, as well as any explanation of that pre-boot "procedure" that I had to do to get Virtualbox to run. I have been a Linux user for over 20 years, but focused on CLI/server. I have spent very little time working on the GUI and desktop processes, because usually they just plain work without any issues.

Other than that, I like the new T490. Disappointed that the fingerprint reader is not supported (and it will probably never be), as I loved that feature on my old Lenovo, but such is Linux Desktop life I guess.

dl_sledding
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Annoying display issues

Post by dl_sledding »

Did I stump everyone? :)

Or did I leave out some important information?

Any advice at all would be very appreciated...

dl_sledding
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dl_sledding »

Oh, I did want to add that the lock screen login works properly. It just seems to be the initial login screen that is affected.

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cliffcoggin »

Be patient, it's Christmas so many people have real lives to lead. I expect you'll get an answer soon.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

coffee412
Level 6
Level 6

Post by coffee412 »

dl_sledding wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:43 pm
1. I installed VirtualBox, and it required me to perform a password-protected procedure on my next reboot (I believe something to do with UEFI allowing a driver to run???) I am very unsure of what this did, but Virtualbox works fine now, and prior to this procedure it would not allow me to load the vboxdrv module. Anyway, since that procedure was run, my login screen is now black. No cursor, no mouse pointer, nothing. I can blindly type my password, and I then get my desktop. I have searched for the solution to this, but have not had any luck even finding a reason it's happening...
Sounds like the "password procedure" it was just asking for root permission to install the driver.

Im thinking its your video driver? Nvidia? I would try a uninstall of the driver and then reboot/reinstall. See if that fixes it. I think that if you uninstall the nvidia driver it will revert to the kernel driver instead on boot. Then you can go in and re install the nvidia driver. Thats of course if your using a nvidia chip?

coffee
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp 12.0.3 * Mint 18.3 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************

dl_sledding
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dl_sledding »

Yes, it's an Nvidia chipset, and I installed the Nvidia drivers because the box kept locking up. I mean, really locking up, to the point where the clock would even stop. After installing the Nvidia drivers, the laptop worked fine, prior to installing the VirtualBox software and being forced to put in that password...

I will give the uninstall/reboot/reinstall a try. Maybe that will help.

dl_sledding
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dl_sledding »

OK, I uninstalled nvidia-driver-435, rebooted, still no login screen. So, I installed nvidia-driver-430, just to see if that makes a difference. No dice, still no login screen. But I can still log in, by blindly typing my password.

I have a second T490 (a co-worker's) that is experiencing the exact same condition (login screen blank), so it's reproducible and not limited to just my hardware.

No matter what I do, I still have the "flash to black" issue with the HP monitor. IDK, wonder if that's just simply an incompatibility between the monitor and the dock.

dl_sledding
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dl_sledding »

Looks like the "flash to black" issue is a Lenovo problem:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Displays-O ... d-id/12901

So we won't worry about that here... :)

coffee412
Level 6
Level 6

Post by coffee412 »

dl_sledding wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:24 pm
OK, I uninstalled nvidia-driver-435, rebooted, still no login screen. So, I installed nvidia-driver-430, just to see if that makes a difference. No dice, still no login screen. But I can still log in, by blindly typing my password.

I have a second T490 (a co-worker's) that is experiencing the exact same condition (login screen blank), so it's reproducible and not limited to just my hardware.

No matter what I do, I still have the "flash to black" issue with the HP monitor. IDK, wonder if that's just simply an incompatibility between the monitor and the dock.
Im sorry to hear that things didnt work. Im not the best on graphics issues because it seems a lot of them do not leave a 'paper trail' if you know what I mean.

Well, I guess look at it as a cool security issue? Sorry - Just trying to look on the bright side of things.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp 12.0.3 * Mint 18.3 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************

dl_sledding
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dl_sledding »

Well, I guess look at it as a cool security issue? Sorry - Just trying to look on the bright side of things.
Glass half full... I can dig it! :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”