"Solved for the moment" Update manager again?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kamie
Level 3
Level 3

"Solved for the moment" Update manager again?

Post by kamie »

This is the second time this has happened. Red x on update manager, internet is fine.
Message,

Code: Select all

An error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. 
GPG error: http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb stable Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available:
NO_PUBKEY 78BD65473CB3BD13Failed to fetch http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/dists/stable/Release.gpg  
The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 78BD65473CB3BD13
Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
So I went back and looked at this old post, followed the steps and it didn't work, plus this is a different message from the last time. viewtopic.php?f=90&t=302864&p=1695038#p1695038

Ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon
Version 4.0.10
Kernel 4.15.0-54-generic
Processor AMD A12-9720P RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G × 2
Graphics Card Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Wani [Radeon R5/R6/R7 Graphics]
Levonvo idea Pad320
LanceM

Re: Update manager again?

Post by LanceM »

You could try this: open the Update Manager>edit>software sources>maintenance>fix mergelist problems.
kamie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kamie »

blueocean wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:07 pm You could try this: open the Update Manager>edit>software sources>maintenance>fix mergelist problems.
Followed your instructions, said it was fixed, refreshed and it didn't work.
Then this message. GPG error: http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb stable Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 78BD65473CB3BD13The repository 'http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb stable Release' is not signed.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon
Version 4.0.10
Kernel 4.15.0-54-generic
Graphics Card Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Wani [Radeon R5/R6/R7 Graphics]
Levonvo idea Pad320
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Reboot the computer & see if that helps.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

As it tells you, you are missing Google's repository signing key. If your Software Sources > Maintenance has the missing key function (I forget in which point release I added that) you can use that, otherwise you'll have to add it manually via the Authentication Keys tab, using the key id from your error message.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

If not, try this:

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 78BD65473CB3BD13 

sudo apt update 
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

Quite a long time ago I had your issue and fixed it by running this in the Terminal:

wget -q -O - https://dl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add -
Use at your own risk. I'd advise a Timeshift snapshot first.
kamie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kamie »

sleeper12 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:13 pm If not, try this:

sudo apt update 
I ran both back to back, hope that was right? Seems to have fixed the issue.
Thanks,
Kamie
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon
Version 4.0.10
Kernel 4.15.0-54-generic
Levonvo idea Pad320
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

kamie wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:22 pm
sleeper12 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:13 pm If not, try this:

sudo apt update 
I ran both back to back, hope that was right? Seems to have fixed the issue.
Thanks,
Kamie
8) Glad it worked for you.
LanceM

Re: "Solved for the moment" Update manager again?

Post by LanceM »

Wouldn't it also work to download the newest version of Chrome and install it?
kamie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kamie »

blueocean wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:50 pm Wouldn't it also work to download the newest version of Chrome and install it?
If this was directed at me............
I don't use Chrome, just FF, so no idea.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon
Version 4.0.10
Kernel 4.15.0-54-generic
Levonvo idea Pad320
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

I don't use Chrome, just FF, so no idea.
I thought by your first post it referred to Chrome. How could it generate that if you had never installed Chrome?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Indeed, if you're not using Chrome best just disable the Google Chrome repo in Software Sources. ;)
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

That's odd, I thought the OP was using Chrome too.
kamie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kamie »

Chrome came with this install, as did FF, I never use chrome but do allow the updates. How do I unistall it if that was the issue?
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon
Version 4.0.10
Kernel 4.15.0-54-generic
Levonvo idea Pad320
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

That's strange because it isn't included by default and Chromium isn't either. Only FF. Who did the install? If it's installed, you can check by opening Synaptic and search for google-chrome-stable. Of course you can just look in Menu>internet. If there you can use Synaptic, or Software Manager to uninstall. And many other ways as well.
kamie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kamie »

blueocean wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:35 pm That's strange because it isn't included by default and Chromium isn't either. Only FF. Who did the install? If it's installed, you can check by opening Synaptic and search for google-chrome-stable. Of course you can just look in Menu>internet. If there you can use Synaptic, or Software Manager to uninstall. And many other ways as well.

The install was done by a computer tech guy about 8 months ago, I'm not smart enough and was just trying to get rid of windows 10 to be honest.

The rest of what you said I half way understand, but need some more details if you don't mind please?
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon
Version 4.0.10
Kernel 4.15.0-54-generic
Levonvo idea Pad320
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

If you're sure you don't want Chrome, do:

sudo apt-get purge google-chrome-stable 
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

Click Menu>Software Manager>Once it opens, search for google-chrome-stable>When you see it in the list, click it and choose Remove
hackedieter

Post by hackedieter »

There is an official doc for it, for anyone who wants to be sure which key is installed.

https://www.google.de/linuxrepositories/
On an APT-based system (Debian, Ubuntu, etc.), download the key and then use apt to install it.

wget -q -O - https://dl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add -
That's it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”