I am becoming a believer!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

I am becoming a believer!

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

Hi to all. I just wanted to introduce myself. I've actually been floating around the Newbie forum for a while where I've gotten a huge amount of excellent help from a lot of members, some names of whom I see and recognize here. So, first of all I'd really just like to thank all those who have already helped me in getting started in Linux and also to all those who might endeavor to help in the future!

As my screen name suggest, I'm a totally new to anything related to Linux, which now includes VirtualBox, maybe soon to be Linux on a MAC and to the chat site. Probably like a lot of others here, I'm a long time Windows user, i.e., W2/3's (???), 95, 98, NT, 2000, Me, XP, Vista, W7, skipped 8, & W10. But I'm intent on making the transition to Linux on my old W7 laptop, first out of necessity (and that may also be the case with the MAC), secondly it works great, looks good and you can get help! I want to note that I'm also running Linux in VirtualBox on a W10 laptop. So, I am becoming a believer!

I do have to admit, however, and maybe to the consternation of some of the more ardent Linux users, I do plan to keep the W10 laptop as W10 until if & when it starts giving me headaches. So far I guess I've either been living right or I'm lucky because W10 has been relatively trouble free for me! But one day, maybe!

Sorry for the long winded intro but again, hi to all and thanks again for all the past and future help!

Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Re: I am becoming a believer!

Post by Tomgin5 »

Welcome to Linux! :D

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

Welcome!
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Hello 1NEWLINUXUSER Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

Welcome!!!

and like you,
I have found a terrific amount of support to get through my problems.
most of which I created for myself :(
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Hello 1NEWLINUXUSER,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums, Enjoy :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

chiefjim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chiefjim »

I've also kept W10 on my laptop. Handy here in the USA for things like doing taxes. Other than that it has become a dust collector.

Just be aware that when the time to use it does come around you'll need to wait while the ultra slow updates run. Grass grows faster!

stephanieswitzer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by stephanieswitzer »

Welcome to Mint. I think that over time, as you become more comfortable with mint, you will see that Mint is all you need.
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz × 2, 8 GiB,

MacBookPro9,2 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.20GHz, 8 GiB.

linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux-dummie »

Hello Hello!!

Mint is refreshing. Freedom is refreshing.

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Mint also gives you minty fresh breath...oopsie, I'm getting carried away here. :?
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop

Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Welcome aboard the crazy train!

There are at least some here who run Linux Mint on Macs of various descriptions. Personally, I run it on a 2011 MacBook Pro 13" i7. It works wonderfully, and it's been my full time daily driver for years.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

chiefjim wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:46 am
I've also kept W10 on my laptop. Handy here in the USA for things like doing taxes. Other than that it has become a dust collector.

Just be aware that when the time to use it does come around you'll need to wait while the ultra slow updates run. Grass grows faster!
ummmmm,
you can shut off update by going to properties on your network and marking the link/WiFi as "limited bandwidth"

my Win10 half of my laptop has not had an update since around 4/2019 or so.
no dual booting though, Win10 is on the OEM SSD,
and Linux is on a 2nd SSD in a separate tray.

to change the OS, I boot to the BIOS and select which drive I want to boot.
slow, but it is ultra secure, and there is not chance that M$ can muck up Grub, it never sees it.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

Just want to thank everyone for the warm welcomes. I'm looking forward to being a member of the LINUX community, learning more about it, communicating with others, i.e., asking for help and maybe one day even offering help to others!

chiefjim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chiefjim »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:09 pm
chiefjim wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:46 am

ummmmm,
you can shut off update by going to properties on your network and marking the link/WiFi as "limited bandwidth"

my Win10 half of my laptop has not had an update since around 4/2019 or so.
no dual booting though, Win10 is on the OEM SSD,
and Linux is on a 2nd SSD in a separate tray.

to change the OS, I boot to the BIOS and select which drive I want to boot.
slow, but it is ultra secure, and there is not chance that M$ can muck up Grub, it never sees it.
Just to clarify a minor point, my Win10 laptop is largely unused period. Desktop is my primary mode. But since the laptop is used for taxes I make sure to run updates first to ensure as much protection from malware as possible.

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Return to “Introduce yourself”