Hard time with rtl8812au

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
skomo
Level 1
Level 1

Hard time with rtl8812au

Post by skomo »

I, i have a working usb AC dongle sporting a rtl8812au chipset running on my linux mint 19.3 with 4.15.xxx kernel.

Trying to upgrade to the latest 5.3.0.xxx kernel my wifi stopped working. I tried it on another machine running kubuntu 19.10 with 5.3.0-26-generic kernel.
it does'nt work as expected, the driver i have installed https://github.com/abperiasamy/rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux seems too old.
Yeah i know the "rule" -if it ain't broke, don't fix it- but i'm trying to learn something and i have the itch to switch to kubuntu on my laptop.

I tried several guides, and now i managed to get it works following this page https://github.com/gnab/rtl8812au

The problem now is i'm not able to add the dkms module. Can someone help me?

In past the user JeremyB helped me with a script for another dongle that worked perfectly. May he can help me with this new one?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Current Machine ==> Matebook D13 2020 Linux Mint 20 5.8.0-29-generic
Ryzen 5 3500U with Vega 8 graphics

Previous Machine ==> Linux Mint 19.3 5.3.0-26-generic
AMD E2-6110 with R2 graphics (i loved it!)
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Hard time with rtl8812au

Post by coffee412 »

The problem now is i'm not able to add the dkms module. Can someone help me?
What error(s) are you getting when you try and add it ?

Also, Is there a reason your moving up to this kernel since your older kernel works fine?
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

coffee412 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:09 am Also, Is there a reason your moving up to this kernel since your older kernel works fine?
That's a crucial question. Ordinarily, when all hardware is working well, there's no point in dumping the 4.15.x kernel, which is LTS.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
skomo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by skomo »

Hi, thanks for the reply.

As said in my post, i'm trying to upgrade only for "learning purpose" and because i'll probably want to switch to kubuntu in the next months. Kubuntu sports most recent kernels, so i need to know the behaviour of my hardware first.

I received errors while trying to

Code: Select all

sudo dkms add -m 8812au -v 4.2.2
and it says somethin about dkms.conf missing in /usr/src/8812au-4.2.2

so i tried with

sudo cp -r rtl8812au/ /usr/src/8812au-4.2.2
and now

dkms status
8812au, 4.2.2: added
the module is added alongside the other drivers

It was the github page missing some informations or am i the only culprit?

Now i think i need to remove the old dksm module from my laptop.... any help appreciated

Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

skomo wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:20 am As said in my post, i'm trying to upgrade only for "learning purpose"
Fair enough.
skomo wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:20 am and because i'll probably want to switch to kubuntu in the next months. Kubuntu sports most recent kernels, so i need to know the behaviour of my hardware first.
There's no difference in kernel range for Linux Mint and Ubuntu LTS (and its derivatives like Kubuntu). Because Mint is built on Ubuntu LTS.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

In the past I have always removed the current driver with modprobe. Then inserted the new driver with modprobe. The idea is that if the original kernel driver for your device is active then you need to remove it first before inserting your new one. Then in order to keep it that way after reboots you have to blacklist the original module in the kernel and then follow thru with having your new module load at boot.

So, In a nutshell - Unload the current module, Load your module. Then blacklist the kernel module and follow thru with the instructions for loading at boot time.

man modprobe will give you guidance on this.

I have been fortunate in that I have not had to play with modules in a long time. However, That is how I used to do it back in the day. I would think its still relative today. If Im wrong then Im sure someone will chime in.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

coffee412 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:50 am In the past I have always removed the current driver with modprobe. Then inserted the new driver with modprobe. The idea is that if the original kernel driver for your device is active then you need to remove it first before inserting your new one. Then in order to keep it that way after reboots you have to blacklist the original module in the kernel and then follow thru with having your new module load at boot.

So, In a nutshell - Unload the current module, Load your module. Then blacklist the kernel module and follow thru with the instructions for loading at boot time.

man modprobe will give you guidance on this.

I have been fortunate in that I have not had to play with modules in a long time. However, That is how I used to do it back in the day. I would think its still relative today. If Im wrong then Im sure someone will chime in.
The rtl8812au has no native kernel support. There is rtl8812au-dkms in the repos but the dkms support has been broke for 3 years

The issue with the downloaded driver is that it was downloaded some time ago, before the source code was patched for newer kernels
skomo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by skomo »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:29 am
skomo wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:20 am As said in my post, i'm trying to upgrade only for "learning purpose"
Fair enough.
skomo wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:20 am and because i'll probably want to switch to kubuntu in the next months. Kubuntu sports most recent kernels, so i need to know the behaviour of my hardware first.
There's no difference in kernel range for Linux Mint and Ubuntu LTS (and its derivatives like Kubuntu). Because Mint is built on Ubuntu LTS.
You are right, but i didn't mention i would try the LTS, but the "regular" one.
I'll see if i will have the time to try this new "adventure"

Return to “Networking”