Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
colski
Level 2
Level 2

Can't connect to a windows home network

Post by colski »

I have taken the plunge and over the last few months I have been using LinuxMint 19.1 and more recently 19.3

I have a number of Windows 7 machines and I will be damned if I will upgrade to Windows 10. Hence my decision to move over to to LinuxMint :-)

All is going well. However, I am keeping a couple of old machines running Windows 7 for their offline software uses and windows programs I still use.

BUT I can't seem to connect a Linux machine to the windows machine on the network to share various files etc. It is driving me nuts trying to get it to work.

The established windows home network all run windows 7 Pro PC's and the name of the home network is HOUSE

I think this is what windows 7 refers to as the workgroup

On my Linux machines I use Nemo as the file manger. When I click on the Network menu item I can see the shares on the windows home network. For example on a windows machine named hpcomputer I see the drives C$ and E$ which have shared folders within them.

When I double click on C$ up pops the following box:
-------
Password required for share c$ on hpcomputer
Connect As Anonymous or Registered user
Username
Domain
Password

etc.
-------

Despite using what I would normally use to access these shared folders via another windows PC, I can't get in using the Linux machine.

I have no idea what it means by Domain. I am assuming this is the workgroup name, which on my windows network is HOUSE

When I also enter the username and password for that windows PC, the pop up box in Nemo simply flashes and reverts back to empty fields and I can't access the windows PC.

I have tried various combinations of empty fields, upper and lower case usernames, etc. but no success.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Can't connect to a windows home network

Post by altair4 »

You can't access an administrative share - anything with a $ at the end. You can only access an actual share.

Try connecting to one of the real shares on your Win7 box.

By real shares I mean the actual shared folders on your Win7 box. If you go to Win7 > Command Prompt and enter:

Code: Select all

net share
It will be all the "share names" not ending in $
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

Something else you need to do. If you have enabled the Mint Firewall, you will need to disable it or to add rules to allow the Windows devices to see and access your Mint PC. Once I disabled the firewall in Mint, I had no problems accessing the shares. I have no information on how to add firewall rules so you'll have to do some research.
colski
Level 2
Level 2

Post by colski »

Thank you both.
johnsageek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by johnsageek »

I was hoping to find a tutorial or step by step documentation (to learn) how to successfully setup either NFS or Samba from a mint box (client) to a windows 10 (server), shared folders. If this has been asked and answered my apologies. Everything I seem to be reading on samba.org seems like geek speak to the extreme. Just point me in the right direction, and I will do the rest. Thank You,

johnsageek
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

[Part2] and [Part3] of this howto: Windows 10 and Samba File Sharing
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Other networking topics”