Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
donnshaffer
Level 1
Level 1

fresh install won't boot

Post by donnshaffer »

I have a laptop with 2 drives. The first has Windows and some other partitions, swap and others.
Second drive is a new SSD. I used gparted to create a partition table and 2 ext4 partitions. Installed 19.3 on the first partition of the 2nd drive.
Booting gets me to a grub prompt.
I can change the boot order in BIOS to boot directly into Windows.
If I boot to a Super Grub2 flash drive, I can see the linux kernel on the SSD and boot manually into it so I know it's there.
I've tried boot-repair with no luck. The log file is at http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/VWgRFx3rBN/
That log file says "no boot loader is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda", which is the first drive with Windows. I used gparted to verify that /de/sda2 has the boot flag set.
It seems like a grub problem.
I'm not sure where to go from here.

Donn

donnshaffer
Level 1
Level 1

Re: fresh install won't boot

Post by donnshaffer »

Well, now I've made it worse.
I ran boot-repair off of the live session. At the end, there was a message to go to the Windows command prompt and enter
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi
After rebooting, I can't get into Windows anymore. However, I still can get into Windows from the Super Grub2 flash drive.
Any ideas?
Donn

gittiest personITW
Level 6
Level 6

Post by gittiest personITW »

donnshaffer wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:35 am
Well, now I've made it worse.
I ran boot-repair off of the live session. At the end, there was a message to go to the Windows command prompt and enter
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi
After rebooting, I can't get into Windows anymore. However, I still can get into Windows from the Super Grub2 flash drive.
Any ideas?
Donn
Don't suppose you set up Timeshift did you?
I'll assume if you did you get use the Live disk to get Timeshift to restore a previous snapshot.

donnshaffer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by donnshaffer »

Thanks asinoro,
the first article is what I used to set the bootmgr path in windows. I set it to ......shimx64.efi based on the boot-repair recommendation, however now I see that value should be used on a system with secure boot enabled. I don't have it enabled so maybe that's part of my problem. That article shows how to reset that value using /deletevalue but it returns with an error. It looks like /deletevalue might be a Windows 10 thing and I am running 8. I will look into that more. With secure boot off, I think I should be using grub64.efi and not shimx64.efi.

The second article is for secure boot enabled which I don't have.

Most of what I read recommends secure boot of for dual boot situations. I could enable it, maybe that would help.

Thanks also gittiest person ITW, but I did'nt have Timeshift set up.

Donn

pbear
Level 12
Level 12

Post by pbear »

I've not had to do this, but a couple suggestions.

1. If you don't already have, you need a USB Recovery Drive or a System Repair Disk. These are Windows' bootable repair tools. The former goes on a USB drive, obviously, the latter on a CD. So, boot into Windows from SuperGrub2. You create a recovery USB from Control Panel > Recovery > Create a recovery drive. You create a recovery CD from Control Panel > Backup > Create a system repair disc.

2. Might be too late, but the simple way to repair the Windows bootloader is this. Get to a command prompt, (i) by opening PowerShell from right-click of Start or (ii) from UEFI, Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt; or (iii) accessing Command Prompt from a recovery drive or repair disk. Run bootrec.exe /fixmbr. Yes, that's what it's called, even though there isn’t an MBR in UEFI. If that doesn’t work, try Automatic Repair, another option under Advanced Options. See, e.g., Groovy Post.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

donnshaffer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by donnshaffer »

I've gotten this straightened out now.
I had installed 19.3 Cinnamon and somehow screwed up grub. I needed a SuperGrub2 flash drive to boot into either Cinnamon or Windows. I tried boot-repair a number of times and was getting nowhere.
I've been a long time KDE user and my intention was to install KDE and replace Cinnamon as my DE. I had no luck installing KDE on 19.3. I found some online resources for installing KDE on 19.1 but it wasn't working for me. I found some online advice that said I could have trouble with updates in the future with KDE. I wanted to use 19.3 because it's a long term release.
In frustration, I tried 18.3 with KDE. It's only supported until April of 2021 but I had to get something working. 18.3 installed like a breeze, grub works, everything is good.
I don't know what my problem was with the 19.3 installer. I've been using Mint for over 10 years and other distros for 10 years before that and never had so much trouble with an install. So, all is good now. Thanks for the suggestions.
Donn

Return to “Installation & Boot”