Help me install Linux mint on my 2006 Mac Pro 1.1

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Eddi

Help me install Linux mint on my 2006 Mac Pro 1.1

Post by Eddi »

Good evening I would like to install Linux mint on my 2006 Mac Pro 1.1 but I don't know how to enter the bios who can help me? On one ssd I installed Windows 10 pro and on another I would like to install mint how can I do? Sincerely
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pulegium
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Help me install Linux mint on my 2006 Mac Pro 1.1

Post by Pulegium »

Hello Eddi ,
Do you still have OSX installed if so which version ?
Macs don't have a BIOS like PCs but the installation process is pretty straight forward .
Your Mac is probably unable to install Mint from a USB Key so I recommend you burn the ISO to a DVD .
Your Mac Pro has a 64 bit architecture but a 32 bit EFI which makes installing a Linux distro on it a bit "special" .
I recommend you follow the instructions on this excellent page :

https://mattgadient.com/linux-dvd-image ... 06-models/

Alternatively you could just install a purely 32 bit system but that will limit your software options a bit .

To boot from the ISO insert the disk and start your computer while holding down the "option" key until a screen with multiple drive options appears .
Select the "EFI boot" or "Ubuntu" drive and then follow the Mint installation instructions .
You might also want to disconnect your Windows SSD before you install Mint so it doesn't interfere with the process .
When you are finished you may find it worthwhile to install the rEFInd boot manager to manage your multi boot system .
If you find your boot time to be very slow after installation let us know .
thursty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thursty »

The 2006 Mac Pro 1.1 uses an Intel Core Duo CPU which is 32 bit so you will need to install the 32 bit version of Linux Mint.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

thursty wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:48 am The 2006 Mac Pro 1.1 uses an Intel Core Duo CPU which is 32 bit so you will need to install the 32 bit version of Linux Mint.
Followings the specs here : https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_ ... specs.html,
the EFI is 32-bit but the CPU is 64-bit.
That means you can in principle install a 64-bit Linux if you do it in Legacy/BIOS mode. The instructions by Pulegium are perfect for that.

Another point : by default the Mac Pro has only 1 GB of RAM, which is not much. Also the GPU is weak, so Cinnamon may be laggy or even have troubles getting to the Desktop. You will have better luck with Mate or Xfce which are lighter and should run smoother.
thursty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thursty »

I apologize.

I mistakenly misread this as a MacBook Pro1,1.
converse
Level 1
Level 1

Post by converse »

As Fabien pointed out, the CPU is 64 bit. I've successfully installed the 64 bit 19.3 on my 1.1, using the 32EFI install images hosted on Mattgadient's site. I initially had some very big issues with performance, which on my machine is linked to the wifi driver. I've turned wifi off and use a hardwired ethernet connection.

Add more memory, a solid state drive and cheap modern video card and you're good to go. Mine is back in use now as my main office desktop and it's absolutely as fast as you could want. The cheapest memory I've found that works is Hynix server memory - I got 32GB off ebay for £25. It will run 64GB, but only with Micron memory which is much more expensive. Good luck with it.

Return to “Installation & Boot”