[Solved] New computer, trying to set up.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
southernpride1865
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] New computer, trying to set up.

Post by southernpride1865 »

First of all, apologies if this question is in the wrong place, I would gladly accept re-direct to correct location! I am pretty much a total novice when it comes to this stuff, but I CAN follow reasonably simple directions. I just purchased a new ACER Predator desktop. It has a 226 SSD and 1 TB HD, 64 bit 8th gen I-7, 16 gig RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, preloaded with Win10. The first thing I did was Win up-date, so current version of Win is 1909 and all other up-dates have been installed. I also have all of my current programs (system mechanic, BOINC, Firefox/Thunderbird, TOR, etc.) up-dated and installed.

I would like to set up a dual boot with Linux Mint 19.3 as the primary OS and keep Win 10 for the Win-specific programs and games as an easily-accessed secondary, and I have never had or used a device with 2 drives before, always been a single hard drive, so I am totally lost here. I would like to split the 1 TB drive (and SSD? never had one and don't know how they work!) equally between Win and Mint, so each OS had the same amount of space.
I have an ACER "C" drive as well as a "D" drive, and from what I can (barely!) figure out, the "C" drive is the SSD and the "D" drive is the 1 TB HD. But honestly, I don't know what I am looking at, so I am just not sure.
I also have a disc purchased from ShopLinuxOnline.com with Mint 19.3 to use. When I put the disc into the DVD and restart the computer, everything works correctly, Linux loads and I have the main screen appear with the option to download Linux Mint 19.3. I click on that and the process begins as normal. I work through the first few screens and then get to the section where the system asks me where I want to install the OS to. There is no option to "install alongside Windows 10" or anything similar, it states "this drive has no OS" and I can erase entire contents and do fresh install, etc.
I also see 3 sections, one appears to be reserved, one appears to have the current OS (and this is a total guess, based on amount of space shown), and one appears to be empty with close to a TB (1, with a crap-ton of zeros following it) open.

I panicked at the sight of the options of fresh install and this drive has no OS, and backed out of the process completely, as I have absolutely no idea of what I am doing at this point and did not want to remove the Win 10 OS and everything else I had set up there, or just royally screw up the brand new machine. Also, I have looked through ther first few pages of the forum, trying to find answers already. But as I said, I am pretty much a total novice and have no idea of what the acronyms and terminology mean.....I turn the thing on and surf the web, and that is about the extent of my knowledge and abilities.

Please help?
Last edited by southernpride1865 on Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chemistry stems from adventurers of the mind, fashioning theory and technique in harmony.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Re: new computer, trying to set up.

Post by pbear »

Let's start with some system information as seen by Linux. Boot the installation medium again. Open Terminal and expand to full screen. Run inxi -Fxz, copy the output and post to the thread, enclosing the text in code tags (the </> button above the text entry window).
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Before you post, please read how to get help.

HAWR
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HAWR »

Hello southernpride1865,

you can't find the alongside Windows option, because until now Windows uses the whole SSD for itself. If you want to have the alongside Windows option, you have to shrink the volume of Windows with the disk management utility of Windows (Win-key+X). Windows offers you the space it can make free (you can accept the offer, I think normally it is half-half, or make it smaller) and leave that space unallocated. When you then boot the Linux Mint CD and choose the install option, there should be tha alongside option. Linux recognize the WIndows partition and install itself on the unallocated space.

The one TB HDD can be used by both systems as the data storage, so that both OS have access to it. There should be nothing special to prepare. In Linux, you can mount it easily in the file manager. Because you have an Acer computer, it could be necessary after the installation, to make a change in the BIOS/UEFI, so that the grub menu is visible and Linux starts automatically. Otherwise it will only boot to Windows. But for the first, you can try the installation and when it only boots to Windows, you can ask here again.

Here is a good how-to for a dual boot and if you have shrinked the volume in Windows, the "Disk Partitioning" step isn't necessary anymore:

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... -mint.html

southernpride1865
Level 1
Level 1

OK, @pbear.....I inserted the disc, re-booted the machine, and hit F12 until the boot menu came up. I have 2 options-Windows Boot Manager and UEFI: Slimtype DVD A DA8AESH. I highlighted the second one and hit enter. The first time I originally did this, the results were as I discribed in my first post, Linux Mint loaded from the disc and I had the option to install or look around. However, this time, I got the following message:

failed to open\EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi - Not Found
failed to load image\EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi: Not Found
failed to start MokManager: Not Found
Something has gone seriously wrong: import_mok_state () failed
:Not Found

The message appears on a black screen, stays for a few seconds, and then the computer shuts itself completely off. I retried several times, with the same result each time. So now, I cannot even load Mint from the disc. And I have absolutely no idea of what any of this means.
Chemistry stems from adventurers of the mind, fashioning theory and technique in harmony.

southernpride1865
Level 1
Level 1

Solved. Thank you all!

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

What worked? I'm curious, as I ran into that MokManager problem just a couple weeks ago.

HAWR
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Solved-new computer, trying to set up.

Post by HAWR »

Hello southernpride1865,

how did you solve what?

southernpride1865
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Solved] New computer, trying to set up.

I took the nuclear option and wiped the entire drive, then started from scratch. There was nothing really important on it anyway because it was a brand-new machine, and everything that I needed/used up to that point was easily re-loaded. I probably would not recommend this on a more established machine, simply because of all the items you might lose and/or the hassle of re-installing a large number of items after it was done. But I have OS software and re-installation disks going all the way back to WinXP on the Microsoft side and Linux Mint 15 on the Linux side, so there was no added expense in purchasing current Windows software.

The good thing was that this had the added benefit of getting rid of all the pre-loaded crap such as ACER specific bundled programs, candy crush, etc. that comes with a new machine. So.....a little drastic, but reasonable given my circumstances and limited knowledge.

Also @HAWR.....the link you provided was of great assistance. Thank you!

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Re: [Solved] New computer, trying to set up.

Post by pbear »

Interesting. FWIW, this apparently is a known bug, but there might be more than one, as the symptoms aren't uniform. Like you, robbedelarbre, found the problem was the installation; he (or she) solved it by reformatting the drive. Laurent85 suggests a more gentle solution in this thread (translated), to wit, copying in a good bootloader to replace the corrupted one, but no follow-up to indicate whether it worked.

In my case, I couldn't even boot a live session or a known-good full install USB; ended up reflashing the firmware. bheney's experience was similar. Apollo_richard solved the problem on an Acer by clearing the EFI key (how done not explained). tszkitc installed Mint 19.2, then upgraded to 19.3 (suggests bug might be specific to 19.3). And there are a few threads with no reported resolution: sladyrko, stevev01, AndruWho.

Anyhoo, glad you got it working and thanks for reporting back on how you did it. Happy Minting!

Return to “Installation & Boot”