[SOLVED] Icons location on disk

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
petric3

[SOLVED] Icons location on disk

Post by petric3 »

Does somebody know where these icons on below link are stored? I'd like to add more own icons in folder, so they can be easily searchable when changing folder icons. I have tried to add my into ~/.Icons and /usr/share/icons but when searching for it, they do not display as an option for change. Any help appreciated.

https://ibb.co/kg96Hvs
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Icons location on disk

Post by gm10 »

If this is about adding a single icon, just drop it into

Code: Select all

/usr/share/pixmaps/
If you want to modify existing icon themes or add your own icon theme, the answer becomes more complex.
petric3

Post by petric3 »

Thanks for the suggestion, but have tried to put single .png icon file in the folder, but is still not searchable when trying to a change folder's icon. Any other suggestions pls?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

petric3 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:42 am Thanks for the suggestion, but have tried to put single .png icon file in the folder, but is still not searchable when trying to a change folder's icon. Any other suggestions pls?
To find it in the dialog you need to switch to pixmaps on the left hand side.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

If you only want to add individual icons to a few of your own folders, the original image can also be somewhere in the home directory, e.g. > Pictures > My Icons...
It looks like this on the desktop:

petric3

Post by petric3 »

Thank you guys. There is no pixmaps on the left side for some reason. I want to find the right folder, as I have lots of icons and could just copy folder content to it easily and search for the needed Icon.

absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

As long as you play around with your own folders and your own pictures, nothing can happen. With the data itself - so "files" not "folders" - I would be careful: you can mess up the corresponding programs or the operating system.
Or with the next update all icons are back in the basic settings ...
gm10

Post by gm10 »

petric3 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:16 am Thank you guys. There is no pixmaps on the left side for some reason.
Ah, seems Cinnamon has its own dialog there. You can also copy them into /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/places and then run

sudo gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/share/icons/hicolor
You should be able to find and search for them in that dialog then.
petric3

Post by petric3 »

gm10 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:35 am
petric3 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:16 am Thank you guys. There is no pixmaps on the left side for some reason.
Ah, seems Cinnamon has its own dialog there. You can also copy them into /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/places and then run

sudo gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/share/icons/hicolor
You should be able to find and search for them in that dialog then.
Wow, it works!! Thank you so much, appreciated!

Return to “Software & Applications”