Locked myself out from /home... (solved..ish)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NexusHumanis

Locked myself out from /home... (solved..ish)

Post by NexusHumanis »

I have somehow managed to lock myself out from my /home directory, which seems to have lead to the result that Gnome will not start, due to being unable to update .ICEauthority. I have tried to chown them in Cli, but nothing seems to help. Anybody out there with a helpful link, or even a good tip?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Locked myself out from /home...

Post by DrHu »

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1021106
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... nt-602140/
--a more complete explanation..
post #6, 9..fixing permissions or ownership of that file, which should be your login name..
NexusHumanis

Post by NexusHumanis »

Well, I tried the first one. After that I have booted into a USB live image, and have managed to gain access to the home dir. on my HD. Looking at the perimissions, my user is listed as owned by 1000 user #1000. Is this correct (sorry for the missing punctuation, but I didnt get a chance to choose the keyboard settings of my language in the unetbootin install.)
Can I change them from the live desktop
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

NexusHumanis wrote:Well, I tried the first one. After that I have booted into a USB live image, and have managed to gain access to the home dir. on my HD. Looking at the perimissions, my user is listed as owned by 1000 user #1000
Of course you have to be checking the installed system (the system with the locked out mode..), not the live CD to find the settings for that user

Seems so
In terminal, check
id
id -u

Code: Select all

uid=1000(mintuserID) gid=1000(mintuserID) groups=4(adm),20(dialout),24(cdrom),46(plugdev),106(lpadmin),121(admin),122(sambashare),124(vboxusers),1000(mintuserID)
You can also check it on the desktop
mint menu>control center>system>Users and Groups > Advanced TAB
should show the User id (uid) as 1000
NexusHumanis

Post by NexusHumanis »

Well, I have been messing around on the command line, and using the live-distro as su for a while, and I somehow got things working again.... I don't now what I did right.
I deleted the ICEauthority file, could that have been a smart thing to do?, and I tried to chown the user directory. So I guess this problem should be marked solved...ish.. Thank you for your help.

Edit: Having had a few hours to think about it, I guess what I did right was deleting .ICEauthoroty , and then doing chown and chmod as to Dr. Hu's instructions. Rebooting then made the system setting up a new .ICEauthority file, as the correct permissions had been set up.

Return to “Installation & Boot”