Intel WiFi 6 AX200 & AX201 (Cyclone/Harrison Peak 2) Early-Bird Support

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
warpz0ne

Intel WiFi 6 AX200 & AX201 (Cyclone/Harrison Peak 2) Early-Bird Support

Post by warpz0ne »

Well, a quick search of this forum seems to turn up nothing about these new 802.11ax wireless adapters, so why not have a thread about it?
Intel ARK Page - AX200
Intel ARK Page - AX201

I recently moved to a place where it's inconvenient to do a hard-wired ethernet connection for my dual-boot tower PC. After some months using a leftover USB wireless-N adapter limited to 2.4GHz, typically topping out at 2MB/s in spite of a proclaimed 150Mbps (18.75MB/s) on the thing itself, I was ready for a more permanent upgrade. Brief research seemed to show that the AX200 series cards were possibly supported in Linux, so I took a chance, and picked up a version packaged for PCIe connection. Naturally, it works fine in Windows with drivers from Intel. Great speeds—only limited by my ISP plan level and 802.11ac router.

But it turns out, the WiFi does not work out-of-the-box in Linux Mint 19.1. It shows up in lspci, but not dmesg. [Note: 2723 is AX200 specific]

Code: Select all

user@Mint:~$ lspci | grep 2723
09:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 2723 (rev 1a)
The Bluetooth part of the card, connected via USB header cable, works as one would expect. I am not able to test the Bluetooth 5 level functionality.

---

More research on how to get the AX200 working in Linux revealed the following:

:arrow: AX200 uses the iwlwifi driver and requires Linux kernel version 5.1+ but can be enabled on systems with older kernels by building and installing the backported driver.

*AX201 requires kernel version 5.2+

---

My current plan is to just wait it out until Mint has an option for 5.1 kernels in Update Manager. Maybe that will happen with Mint 19.2. I can afford to be patient because the card works in Windows for any big downloads, otherwise the USB adapter is left connected for Mint.

When the day comes, I've got the firmware files already in place for iwlwifi to pick up...

user@Mint:~$ ls /lib/firmware | grep iwlwifi-cc-a0
iwlwifi-cc-a0-46.ucode
iwlwifi-cc-a0-48.ucode
So, has anyone been brave/stubborn enough to get their card working? Did you go with installing a newer kernel version, backports, or something else?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Intel WiFi 6 AX200 & AX201 (Cyclone/Harrison Peak 2) Early-Bird Support

Post by JeremyB »

Post results for

lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 net
The Intel backports are the only way to get these supported in older kernels
warpz0ne

Post by warpz0ne »

The relevant result is:

09:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:2723] (rev 1a)
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device [8086:0084]
chili555
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chili555 »

chadcan

Post by chadcan »

I have tried to upgrade to newer kernels and none of them worked well for me. It caused, crashes, blank screens, system freeze etc.. so this is not a good option.

I downloaded and tried iwlwifi-cc-a0-46.ucode and iwlwifi-cc-a0-48.ucode and it does not work.

Can anyone tell me how to download the backport drivers and install them.

Thanks
nex01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nex01 »

Are these AX200 cards real? do they exist? are they something new?
someone can attempt to write a driver from scratch
remember Linux people live under a rock while Windows users always get drivers from first day.
we need to make sure the hardware is already on the market yet before we know we can attempt to make drivers.
I just got hyped from the recently introduced AC standard and now theres apparently something new already. man my I need to shave the beard on my feet.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

Hello nex01,

yes, they are real. And there even are more :D

https://www.killernetworking.com/products/
mariusse

Post by mariusse »

I went into Update Manager, installed 5.3 kernel and rebooted. The TX3000E card works now.
Now I just have to use it for a few days and see how stable it is.
mariusse

Post by mariusse »

Quick update - it broke as I installed the updates today. The card is still recognized and connected to wifi, but no traffic

Edit: Another update. Ping giving "operation not permitted" made me think firewall. I opened up Firewall Configuration, but it was off. I toggled it on and off and now it's working again... Not sure if that was the fix as I did it after a reboot before testing ping again

Editedit: Yep, every boot I have to go into Firewall Configuration, turn it on, turn it off, and then it works as it should
mariusse

Post by mariusse »

In case someone else googles this, a bit more feedback.

TX3000E does *work* with version 5.3 of the kernel, but it's not optimal. Having to toggle firewall on/off ever boot is annoying, but more annoyingly the rx/tx speed negotiation seems to be bugged. You will start off with good speeds when you connect, but it will drop to around KB/s download speed shortly after. Toggling wifi off/on resets the speed for half a minute before it starts slowing down again. Same computer dual booting into Windows the speed is rock solid; the windows driver is way more stable reporting link speeds well over 1Gbps all the time
Fraoch
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fraoch »

I'll be monitoring this closely - I'm strongly considering an MSI MEG X570 UNIFY which has an AX200. I'd rather not upgrade kernels, looks like there are no 5.1 kernels for LM 19.3, just 5.3 kernels (5.3.0-24 as of this writing). I'll try keeping my 4.15.0-74 and backporting the driver.

I'll have my work cut out for me on this board, it also uses Realtek 2.5 Gbit RTL8125 LAN and nothing else, and it turns out that has spotty support too.

So that's no networking at all!

I may just use my old 802.11n WiFi USB adapter to get temporary access while I work on it, and an Intel PCIe gigabit card for more permanent access if I can't get things working. At least it looks like I can keep my primary PC running while I get this tweaked with spare parts, then move it later.
LarsClarsen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LarsClarsen »

nex01 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:12 pm Are these AX200 cards real? do they exist? are they something new?
someone can attempt to write a driver from scratch
remember Linux people live under a rock while Windows users always get drivers from first day.
we need to make sure the hardware is already on the market yet before we know we can attempt to make drivers.
I just got hyped from the recently introduced AC standard and now theres apparently something new already. man my I need to shave the beard on my feet.
The WiFi 6, BT5.1, 2,4 GBit WiFi speed card with WPA3, is now available on ebay on some offers:
* as AX200HMW, on ebay start on about 19USD incl. transport from china
* as AX200NGW, on ebay start on about 15 USD incl. transport from china
LarsClarsen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LarsClarsen »

Fraoch wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:28 pm I may just use my old 802.11n WiFi USB adapter to get temporary access
The best Linux Mint compatible 2,4GHz / 5 GHz AC card, available with and without BT4, is the follow:
* Intel 7260HMW AC (is available as N and as AC card, with and without BT4)

Now i have a Intel AX 200HMW foor lower than 20 USD from china:
* Windows 7,8, 10 Driver are available on follow page: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/de/dow ... uct=189347
* Linux not suppurtet on LMDE3, a it can be its supported on Kernel 5.1 and higher like Debian 10 and Debian 11, waiting now for LMDE4, which Debian ever used by LMDE4
* if the actual WiFi cards Intel AX200 running on Debian 10 we can wait for official LMDE4 or try to update by self to unofficial LMDE4. See follow link: viewtopic.php?f=251&t=297818&start=80
Last edited by LarsClarsen on Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fraoch
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fraoch »

I'm just setting this up today and it is as I'd feared - neither the Intel AX200 nor the Realtek RTL8125 are even detected by Linux Mint.

I'll play around with updating the kernel but first I have to install all updates and it's painful with my crappy little Wifi adapter. Considering installing a temporary NIC and stringing a wire...
LarsClarsen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LarsClarsen »

Fraoch wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:42 pm I'm just setting this up today and it is as I'd feared
I got my Intel AX200 WiFi card today. I dont be have knowledge about Linux. So I can only search a little bit by search engine about. I dont know it can help a little bit.

See the follow additional informations. I collectet in last one or two weeks:
"* Windows 7,8, 10 Driver are available on follow page: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/de/dow ... uct=189347
* Linux not suppurtet on LMDE3, a it can be its supported on Kernel 5.1 and higher like Debian 10 and Debian 11, waiting now for LMDE4, which Debian ever used by LMDE4
* If the actual WiFi cards Intel AX200 running on Debian 10 we can wait for official LMDE4 or try to update by self to unofficial LMDE4. See follow link: viewtopic.php?f=251&t=297818&start=80 "
Last edited by LarsClarsen on Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fraoch
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fraoch »

My AX200 just started working with the 5.3 kernel, but everything else isn't, including video. :(

I was getting speeds of about 200 Mbps according to iperf.

Trying to downgrade to a 5.0 kernel, but holding SHIFT on boot doesn't even bring up the GRUB menu.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

Hello Fraoch,

when you have installed the 5.3.0-26 kernel, this caused many problems also for videos. Try it with the 5.3.0-24.

When the Shift key doesn't work to show grub, try it with the Esc key. It can also be helpful not only to hold the key but pressing some times.
LarsClarsen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LarsClarsen »

With LMDE3 you can't use current WLAN cards like Intel ax200, which support current standards like WiFi6 and BT5.1. They probably need higher kernel versions than LMDE3 supports:
* Debian kernel versions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_ve ... ease_table
* Kernel version and supported Intel WLAN cards: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... rking.html

Found on: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... rking.html :
* Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz need Kernel 5.1+ (and or ?) iwlwifi-cc-46.3cfab8da.0.tgz https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/_media ... b8da.0.tgz

It can be it need too update the Kernel from LMDE3 and future LMDE4 by https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/_media ... b8da.0.tgz
* I dont nothing about kernels and its need to update the kernel and dont know how t do that
Fraoch
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fraoch »

LMDE, as with anything Debian, isn't for the cutting edge, and this new networking gear is cutting edge. Debian is stable but very conservative.

I would suggest you switch to Linux Mint Cinnamon, MATE or Xfce which can support these newer kernels. If you stick with LMDE, you'll have to wait and use some other, older network device.

There may be workarounds to get this working with the 4.15 kernel - I have seen drivers on the Intel site - but if you don't know how to update kernels then this would be difficult. With the 5.3 kernel, this just works without any driver installation.
LarsClarsen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LarsClarsen »

And now on Kernel.org , drivers also for current WLAN cards like Intel AX200 and who likes it Intel AX201:
* https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/use ... i#firmware

And another source for very fresh iwlwifi Linux firmware kernel drivers for Intel AX200 and AX201 from Git:

* https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... rmware.git
* kernel/git/iwlwifi/linux-firmware.git

But possibly the drivers will soon arrive in the Linux kernel 4.19, which is probably used by Debian Buster and the future LMDE4.

If who has the possibility to speed up the arrival of the drivers for modern WiFi 6 cards, in the 4.9 used by LMDE3 and in the 4.19 Linux kernel currently used by Debian Buster and soon to be used by the future LMDE4. Then please do so.

Return to “Networking”