xfce 19.3 upgrade - volume icon too big?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

xfce 19.3 upgrade - volume icon too big?

Post by mingle »

Hi,

One of the minor issues I've run into after upgrading my 19.2 xfce system to 19.3 (via update-manager) is that the volume icon in the taskbar looks too big - see attached screenshot.

Is there any way to fix this - a minor annoyance, I know.

Cheers,

Mike.
19.3.png
19.3.png (63.68 KiB) Viewed 4341 times
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: xfce 19.3 upgrade - volume icon too big?

Post by MrEen »

Hi mingle.

Obviously you've got your sound turned up too loud! :lol:

Kidding aside, I'm suspecting, but could be wrong the new XappStatusIcon might be the cause. Do you see it in the list if you right click on the panel and navigate to Panel > Panel Preferences... > Items tab?
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

@MrEen,

Looking at the panel, the 'large' icon is the xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin (v0.4.2).

When I reload my old (Linux Mint xfce 19.2) config, the plugin is the same, but the version is 0.4.1

I seem to remember a similar issue with an early release of Mint, but I can't find it (and the solution) out there.

Cheers,

Mike.
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

(update)...

I think the issue lies in the updated xfce-panel (4.14.1, as opposed the 4.12.1 in LM 19.2).

It has different options under the 'Panel Preferences -> Appearance' tab, one of which is a switch to 'Adjust icon size automatically'.

Somehow it's setting the icon-size for some of the panel icons incorrectly - just (?) the 'notification-type' icons like volume, network, etc.

All icons for app-launchers seem to resize correctly.

Cheers,

Mike.
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

<bump>

Has anyone heard off/found a solution to this one yet...?

It's a minor thing, but it's driving me nuts! :-)

Would it be possible to remove the newer version of the xfce panel and install the 'working' version (4.12.1)?

Could anyone suggest the best way to install an older versions of the panel?

Cheers,

Mike.
lonestar144
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lonestar144 »

Go to Panel Preferences > Appearance
Turn off Adjust size automatically for icons
Set fixed size whatever you prefer.

I had the same issue with the new Xapp status plugin, it was way bigger than my other panel icons and it just looked bad. The above fixed it.
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't work...

If I set the fixed icon size to 22 (to make the icons the same size as my 19.2 install), the volume icon still resizes to be far too big (as before).

I have the panel set to have a single row, with the row-size set to 32 (same for 19.2 and 19.3).

I've posted a bug report on the xfce bugzilla, but I'm not holding out much hope for a quick fix!

Cheers,

Mike.
RockafellaJaz

Post by RockafellaJaz »

When I had this problem my only solution was to turn off Adjust Size Automatically in panel preferences and manually set the size of the icons in both the Panel Preferences and the Notification Area Plugin.

I removed the Indicator Plugin as I couldn't find a way to resize its icons manually. Everything it displayed just jumped over to the Notification Area Plugin after a log out and back in, so it wasn't a problem.

I have 1 tray icon that does not scale but that is a problem with the program icon and not the xfce plugin.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

Changing Icon themes in Settings > Appearance can also do this. For example in my Mint 19.3 Xfce, the Volume icon is much bigger in the 'Oxygen' icon theme than in most other icon themes (Humanity for example).

You can use the up/down arrow keys to scroll through the Icon themes and watch the changes in your panel.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet

Return to “Xfce”