[SOLVED} Scrollbar width

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rudy

[SOLVED} Scrollbar width

Post by rudy »

I'm old. I need a wider scrollbar on all my browsers. Is there are theme that has a wider scrollbar or a SIMPLE way to increase the width of all scrollbars?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rudy

Re: Scrollbar width

Post by rudy »

Please help - this can't be that difficult. The scrollbar is so narrow, it is very difficult to use.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

which browser are you using? probably firefox?
try this in Terminal first: xed .config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
at the bottom new entry, leave a blank space between the last line and the new entry, paste this and save"
if file doesn't exist create one:

Code: Select all

touch .config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
xed .config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
copy this into it save and logoff or reboot.

scrollbar slider {
    min-width: 15px;
    min-height: 15px;
}
logOFF/ON just to be sure and test it. if it works and you want wider change 15 to something of your liking. this only affects gtk3 applications like gedit,firefox,gnome-terminal and only for vertical scrolls. if 15 is not to your liking you can go higher or lower
Last edited by trytip on Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Raycoupe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Raycoupe »

trytip wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:30 pm which browser are you using? probably firefox?
at the bottom new entry, leave a blank space between the last line and the new entry, paste this and save"

.scrollbar.vertical slider,
scrollbar.vertical slider {
}
logOFF/ON just to be sure and test it. if it works and you want wider change 15 to something of your liking. this only affects gtk3 applications like gedit,firefox,gnome-terminal and only for vertical scrolls. if 15 is not to your liking you can go higher or lower
In my case, this gtk.css file did not exist. Creating the file it and pasting your input does work. :) Thanks!
Just closing Firefox and restarting it, was enough for it to take effect.
Hardware, operating systems, software and networking are are nothing else than necessary, cumbersome and easily replaceable evils to store and provide data. Triple backup your data at least, twice on-site, and another copy off-site.
Kwattro

Post by Kwattro »

I wanted to say thanks to both of you. For asking this question and for the excellent reply. The narrow scroll bar has been a wart on what I think is one the best OSes out there. This has made a big difference for me. Thank you both!
rudy

Post by rudy »

Thanks for the response. I just recently returned to Linux, and I'm not great at terminal. I put in your first command and got this:
(xed:3032): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 09:00:44.735: gdk_window_get_window_type: assertion 'GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

that was repeated in terminal about 10 times.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

locate .config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
do you get a response? or did the command do nothing.

if you didn't get a response you need to create it. open Terminal and type:

touch .config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
xed .config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
now you should be able to paste the scrollbar dimensions
rudy

Post by rudy »

IT WORKED!!!!!!! Thank you so much. It not only worked in Firefox but also in Home. What a huge improvement. :D
rudy

Post by rudy »

Interestingly but it works in Computer/Home, Thunderbird and Mozilla, but not Chromium or Opera. Love it.
GoKingsGo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED} Scrollbar width

Post by GoKingsGo »

Thanks for the topic - this is something I've wanted to do for awhile. Unfortunately I get this message from Terminal:

chris@Boss ~ $ xed .config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css

(xed:24492): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:3:9: 'min-width' is not a valid property name

I am using Firefox Quantum v64.0 (64 bit)

On a related topic, can the slider bar be changed to a contrasting color different from the edge of the window so that it stands out?

Thanks!
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

locate .config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css do you have anything for this in Terminal? might be a theme issue which i don't work well with themes.
mgarcia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mgarcia »

thanks that worked
trytip wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:30 pm which browser are you using? probably firefox?

}
Offcenter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Offcenter »

Thanks so much for this, guys.
Worked like a charm.
I too have hated that narrow scroll bar since the beginning.
George, High in the hills of Jersey
Arius
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Arius »

Thanks for this helpful thread. I also needed wider scrollbars.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Thanks a million, worked for me too.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
busdriver12
Level 3
Level 3

Post by busdriver12 »

What a great tip! Many thanks trytip
Phil

Linux Mint 21.3
Cinnamon 6.0.4
MrPotatohead
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MrPotatohead »

This worked for me too. Excellent tip!
Tyrannocaster
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tyrannocaster »

This works for Firefox and many others, so thanks so much for posting it as a solution. However, it does not affect Thunar. Is there a way to do this for Thunar? I'm using Mint Xfce with Mint-Y-Dark-Grey theme.
DougWa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DougWa »

Huh, this worked for folks eight months ago but, like a couple of the other nics here, I get an error now (October 2021):

When I run:
sudo xed .config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
and paste in:

min-width: 24px;
}

Save and close.... OOPS, text in the terminal says:

** (xed:3646): WARNING **: 00:12:48.468: Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::xed-position not supported

I reboot and... NO CHANGE IN FIREFOX.

>>>>>>>EDIT<<<<<<<
A fix for Firefox here!:
viewtopic.php?t=335494
stevedonato
Level 2
Level 2

Post by stevedonato »

Does not work in Linux Mint 20.2 cinnamon, which in my opinion is the worse Mint relese ever.
Best was 18.3
Many bugs in Cinnamon 20.2, poor QA testing and 5 times slower booting and shutdown then 18.3.
Re-write of the Desktop GUI manager (presumably Nemo) for NO reason yelds; cannot position icons as close to each other and the edge as Mint 18.3.
Forces similar grid like spacing even when no Grid specfied. There was absolutly no reason to rewrite the desktop manager GUI code, in my opinion.
32GB Ram i7 cpu 1TB samsung SSD
(25+ years as asoftware developer)
shame on the mint developers
Sailor in Florida

Return to “Beginner Questions”