Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
new_linux123
Level 1
Level 1

Go-to solution for fanspeed?

Post by new_linux123 »

Hi,

in BIOS, I can't set fan speed stuff. Only "minimum fan speed" which is 500 RPM for CPU and chassi fans.

What is the go-to solution or software to change fanspeed?
My computer CPU is at 51c just idling. Didn't see graphic card temperature yet,
but on Windows, using Afterburner, my CPU and GPU usally stay around like 30-40% speed and also 30-40c temperature.

I don't want to put unnecessary strain, so would like to increase fan speed.

I tried with the psensor but it didn't allow me to do any changes?

Thanks in advance

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Go-to solution for fanspeed?

Post by carum carvi »

I have tried to figure out how to influence fanspeed control before as well, because one older computer (2009) was making noises like a vacuumcleaner. Yes, I got advised to use several programs, but these software programs were not very user friendly or did not work at all.

In your case you dont have a problem of too much fan noise, but you want to increase the fanspeed, out of fear that your hardware is overheating. You mention temperatures of 50C for your hardware, however such temperatures are no problem whatsoever. I also believe that the Linux software can have a margin of difference in reporting the exact temperature compared to other software, so perhaps it is actually 40C, when it is reporting 50C. Furthermore it is known to be the case, that some hardware with Linux has a slightly (5%) bigger energy usage than other software.

If you really want to experiment with fan speed software anyway, let me know, then I will do a search into my own posts in which 2 software programs for fanspeed control were mentioned, but both were too complicated for me or didnt work. I finally gave up in trying to influence it and simply got used to the noise, which is fortunately absent in your case. Dont worry, be happy, would be my first advice in your case, because most new Linux users complain about too aggressive fan noise.

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Don't forget to read the topped thread 'How to get Help', as that will give you pointers on how to better get answers :)

For now we have no real system information to go on. You mention in Bios you can set a 'low threshold' for your CPU fan speed? Did you set it too low maybe, can you adjust that higher? Anyway read the thread i mentioned then pop back with more info and we can see what can be done etc.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

AndyMH
Level 10
Level 10

Post by AndyMH »

You can do it with lmsensors, this is an old page:
https://tuxtweaks.com/2008/08/how-to-co ... in-ubuntu/
not tried it myself.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

new_linux123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by new_linux123 »

AndyMH wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:54 am
You can do it with lmsensors, this is an old page:
https://tuxtweaks.com/2008/08/how-to-co ... in-ubuntu/
not tried it myself.
Thanks, I will try to find an up to date post

carum carvi wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:29 pm
I have tried to figure out how to influence fanspeed control before as well, because one older computer (2009) was making noises like a vacuumcleaner. Yes, I got advised to use several programs, but these software programs were not very user friendly or did not work at all.

In your case you dont have a problem of too much fan noise, but you want to increase the fanspeed, out of fear that your hardware is overheating. You mention temperatures of 50C for your hardware, however such temperatures are no problem whatsoever. I also believe that the Linux software can have a margin of difference in reporting the exact temperature compared to other software, so perhaps it is actually 40C, when it is reporting 50C. Furthermore it is known to be the case, that some hardware with Linux has a slightly (5%) bigger energy usage than other software.

If you really want to experiment with fan speed software anyway, let me know, then I will do a search into my own posts in which 2 software programs for fanspeed control were mentioned, but both were too complicated for me or didnt work. I finally gave up in trying to influence it and simply got used to the noise, which is fortunately absent in your case. Dont worry, be happy, would be my first advice in your case, because most new Linux users complain about too aggressive fan noise.
Strange that it is so difficult to deal with the fans, and so easy in Windows. I have also tried a couple of different ones but only remembered that one "lmsensors" which didn't work,.
ZakGordon wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:37 am
Don't forget to read the topped thread 'How to get Help', as that will give you pointers on how to better get answers :)

For now we have no real system information to go on. You mention in Bios you can set a 'low threshold' for your CPU fan speed? Did you set it too low maybe, can you adjust that higher? Anyway read the thread i mentioned then pop back with more info and we can see what can be done etc.
I can't put my minimum fan RPM above 500, so I can't make it go higher so to say there.

But seems like it should be possible from Linux!

And about OS, but if I'm using Linux Mint, it seems like specifc details shouldn't matter that much? No software

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444

point number 5 is really what all people looking to help someone out need, to better understand the systems problem.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

new_linux123 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:12 pm
Strange that it is so difficult to deal with the fans, and so easy in Windows. I have also tried a couple of different ones but only remembered that one "lmsensors" which didn't work.
Linux is terrific at creating great software, but Linux is restricted, beyond it's own control, by the hardware manufacturers, who mostly dont bother to inform or take notice of Linux whatsoever. Linux has a marketshare of below 3% (or something) and Windows has a 90 plus % monopoly, so every hardware manufacturer services to the Microsoft monopoly and "forgets" there are millions of satisfied Linux users as well. Hence the situation that fanspeed control is super easy in Windows to control but not in Linux. It's basically a HARDWARE compatibility conflict thing, caused by hardware manufacturers who dont release information to the Linux programmers...

Return to “Software & Applications”