Star Trek: Picard... who here is planning on watching it?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Star Trek: Picard... who here is planning on watching it?

Post by Portreve »

So, it's recently come to my attention that President Xi Jinping of China, having claimed he would be personally involved in efforts to combat the deadly (and quite serious) coronavirus, has now not been seen or heard from in some time. He's been absent from newspapers, from social media, from regular news media, and this is unusual given his typically constant exposure and coverage.

This has led to many Chinese posting on social media about the matter, inquiring after his condition and whereabouts. Those postings are being routinely deleted by Chinese state censors.

So, that's led me to Star Trek to ask the question of a broader audience:

Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

Portreve wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:11 pm Image
Just watched the e02 and it feels that this perennial question is the most you can squeeze out of ST at the moment... :( So, in retrospect, having your OP in mind, be advised not to spend your hard-earned $ on this, or at least, not until Your Dictatorship finally takes hold of the vacant Dragon Throne. :mrgreen:
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Interesting question. When you find out, please let us know. ;)
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Now these guys are the only real 'review' process i find i often agree with in relation of sci-fi tv/film series. It's the RedletterMedia review of Picard so far. They like me hated the prequel Star Wars and are both original and TNG era Trek fans. Mike (guy on the right of this review) suggested back in the day of the Star Wars prequels that someone like JJ Abrams should do Star Wars (and he was ok with that first New Star Trek film (i really hated them all from the get go)), and has lived to regret saying it.

SPOILERS! do not watch if you don't want SPOILERS! (i also won't embed it and just link it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfQdf93e63I

Critical and jaded, but sadly probably right on the money; so Picard becomes even more so a 'wait and see over the whole series' thing for me. ymmv.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

ZakGordon wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:21 pm It's the RedletterMedia review of Picard so far. They like me hated the prequel Star Wars and are both original and TNG era Trek fans.
I remember well their reviews of the prequels. I wasn't a fan of their whole serial axe murderer schtick, but the analysis they gave was on point.
Critical and jaded, but sadly probably right on the money; so Picard becomes even more so a 'wait and see over the whole series' thing for me. ymmv.
I just watched Episode 3 last night. The analysis you give of it being done across a series is correct. It is absolutely not an episodic story. In that sense, it is similar to Discovery. I don't regret (at least so far) signing up for a $5.99/mo (€5.47/mo) subscription to CBS All Access to see it, and I'm using it to see some other things as well.

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Portreve wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:41 pm I remember well their reviews of the prequels. I wasn't a fan of their whole serial axe murderer schtick, but the analysis they gave was on point.
Oh god yes i had forgotten about that! Mr.Plinkets wonderful 'suburban american' personality ;)

They do have history with the horror genre in particular (seems to be a group fave) but Mike and Rich were both sci-fi nerds and big Star Wars and Trek fans.
Portreve wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:41 pm I just watched Episode 3 last night. The analysis you give of it being done across a series is correct. It is absolutely not an episodic story. In that sense, it is similar to Discovery. I don't regret (at least so far) signing up for a $5.99/mo (€5.47/mo) subscription to CBS All Access to see it, and I'm using it to see some other things as well.
Discovery was the death of Trek for me (well all the new Trek films were, and those came first but paved the way) personally speaking.

Picard i was open to but i knew that both Kurtzman and Abrams were involved in it, so it risked all the pot-holes from that association. If people are enjoying it that is cool, but i'm long past subscribing for a new series on the past form of recent modern efforts. I wait for things to finish, then get a box-set, assuming it makes it past 3 or 4 seasons (less and it usually means something went wrong and the story is often rushed to fit into the 'it failed' scheduling). Fingers crossed Picard hits 7 seasons (i need more of these in my collection!) AND it steers well clear of the Star Trek Discovery format (again speaking personally).
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

I usually wait til the end of the season then watch them all in 2 or 3 sittings.
Don't know how many episodes in season 1 of Picard?
The TNG seasons typically ran about 2 dozen episodes if my cobweb cluttered memory serves me correctly.
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Minux1 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:37 pm Don't know how many episodes in season 1 of Picard?
The TNG seasons typically ran about 2 dozen episodes if my cobweb cluttered memory serves me correctly.
IMDB is saying that there's 11 episodes in season 1 of Picard.

I watched episode 3 the other day and it's continuing along nicely IMHO.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Watched a couple of episodes ... it should be renamed “Star Trek, the geriatric generation”.
Everybody looks like they’re 110. :?
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Minux1 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:47 am Watched a couple of episodes ... it should be renamed “Star Trek, the geriatric generation”.
Even Data looked older.........Hmmmmm! :D
Fully mint Household
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

lsemmens wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:27 am
Minux1 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:47 am Watched a couple of episodes ... it should be renamed “Star Trek, the geriatric generation”.
Even Data looked older.........Hmmmmm! :D
Spiner put on about 30 pounds and the jowls show in his face even under the makeup.
Troy the counsellor (Sirtis) might be a 200 pound heifer now ... stay tuned.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Speaking of Marina Sirtis, I hope she's doing ok. She recently lost her husband, and I can't even begin to imagine how much her world has been turned upside down.

Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

I always liked Beverly Crusher (Gates McFadden) better.
She was the best looking chick on Star Trek TNG.
Wonder if she’ll be back.
Apparently 7 of 9 (Jeri Ryan) is returning.
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Picard ratings have flatlined.
Lousy writing and an indiscernible story line.
They’ll probably yank it soon in today’s sudden death TV show arena.
After episode 4 I’m finished with it.
Time to put it out of its misery.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

From what I'm seeing, I think they are trying to establish a much broader universe than what was ever done in classic Star Trek, which is going to take some time.

There was a video put out with brief interviews with several people associated with the show, including a couple of the producers, and the point was made they are hoping anyone can pick up the story and get involved. I disagree with them because I don't think the average person out there who is not already a hardcore Star Trek fan will find it particularly accessible. Now, one can argue whether or not that's a good thing, but in my view it is inarguable the story writing makes a lot of assumptions about a viewer's initial capacity to appreciate the significance of what's going on.

They have made the decision to try and tell an expansive, non-episodic story, which among other things means to don't have the more conventional "three act play" format within each broadcast episode. If anything, everything right now is a part of the "rising action" and we're nowhere remotely close to a climax. In a way, it's almost Babylon 5-like, although in Babylon 5, every single episode had its own three- or five part play structure.

lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

A Very good analysis, Portreve. I've not watched Bab 5, it is on my must see list, but too many other things get in the way.
Fully mint Household
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

What they need to do is establish a universe where the series makes it to season 2 without being cancelled.
That's NOT happening. :mrgreen:
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Picard is very good so far. I'm interested to see where they are taking it.
Discovery was a mess that got worse as it went along. Maudlin, over-acting throughout. The protagonist seemed to cry in almost every episode in the 2nd season. The story is just bad.
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Riker/Frakes was the spitting image of the late Orson Wells ... as wide as he was tall.
Data/Spiner’s chipmunk cheeks (jowls) looked out of place on an android. :mrgreen:
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

As a bloke, Jonathon Frakes is intelligent and a really nice guy, I could spend a lot more time with him. I was fortunate to spend a half hour with him when he came to Adelaide a year or so back. My eldest son took us to a meet and greet. We spent quite a bit of time educating him on the ANZAC spirit and ANZAC day in particular. Son is in the Forces.
Fully mint Household

Return to “Open Chat”