(SOLVED)New Kernel 4.15.18-041518 "unsupported"?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

(SOLVED)New Kernel 4.15.18-041518 "unsupported"?

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

What is kernel 4.15.18-041518? My Mate 19.3 just updated to kernel 4.15.18-041518, then I noticed that odd number sequence followed by "unsupported"! Is this a legitimate update or a freak? Should I keep it or get rid of it?
Any advice or questions would be appreciated, thanks.
Last edited by 1NEWLINUXUSER on Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: New Kernel 4.15.18-041518 "unsupported"???

Post by gm10 »

Sounds like a kernel you installed via Ukuu. Definitely unsupported, and nearly two years old. Do not use.
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

gm10 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:29 pm
Sounds like a kernel you installed via Ukuu. Definitely unsupported, and nearly two years old. Do not use.
Thanks, I'll remove it asap and I did in fact just install ukuu today! But if ukuu is going to find obsolete kernels and tell me they are new updates then I may just do away with it too!
Thank you again.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Ukuu is for installing unsupported kernels. That's the whole point. If your hardware performs well on supported kernels, and you have no very specific problems to solve, best to get rid of it.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

It's unsupported for a long term support release like Mint or its Ubuntu base. If you were running a true rolling release like Arch or Gentoo it'd be supported. But there's a good reason that rolling releases are seen to be for experts only ... if (actually when, likely) a software update breaks the OS you'll need serious CLI recover skills to fix it. ANd their support forums don't do beginner hand holding.

You don't need the newest everything on your machine, esp. in Linux.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

1NEWLINUXUSER wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:53 am
gm10 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:29 pm
Thanks, I'll remove it asap and I did in fact just install ukuu today! But if ukuu is going to find obsolete kernels and tell me they are new updates then I may just do away with it too!
Was there a problem you were trying to solve? Typically users use something like Ukuu to install kernels from a series newer than what's currently available from the official repositories already.

If you want to play around with those kernel builds (commonly called "mainline kernels", for "mainline" is the name of kernel.org's development branch), I can recommend my own Update and Kernel Manager, available via my PPA in my signature, it fully integrates support for them while preventing such mistakes as you made by only offering you mainline kernels from still supported series, and (optionally) automatically upgrading you to the latest supported series once yours reaches end of life.

But for the average user I strongly recommend sticking to the kernels already available for Linux Mint by default.
Hoser Rob wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:38 am
It's unsupported for a long term support release like Mint or its Ubuntu base. If you were running a true rolling release like Arch or Gentoo it'd be supported.
No, it's exactly the opposite. Those kernels are specifically built by Canonical for Ubuntu. But for testing purposes only. That version OP installed pre-dates LM 19, that's how old it is. Now there are obviously supported kernels from the 4.15 series for Linux MInt, available via Update Manager. Rolling releases, on the other hand, do not keep supporting such old series like Canonical does for Ubuntu LTS.
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

gm10 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:05 pm
Was there a problem you were trying to solve? Typically users use something like Ukuu to install kernels from a series newer than what's currently available from the official repositories already.
No, no problem really. I was just trying to retro back to an older LTS kernel, like 4.15.0.76, and remove the newer short term kernels that both my systems installed. I ran across a couple of things about the "easy way" to up/down grade kernels with ukuu. I guess in my excitement about the "easy way" I failed to fully understand what & how ukuu did what it did, so I installed it! Then, ukuu came up with this "unsupported" kernel, said it was an update & I installed it! Then I noticed it had the weird number & "unsupported", oh s..t! Now I understand it a bit better & I have also since learned, I think, the reboot/shift key/boot with the kernel you want/then remove the one/s you don't want method, which seems to work just fine.

So I thank all three of you for responding!
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

No problem. I'm sure glad I had added the support status tags to Update Manager's kernel window or you might never have known. ;)
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Re: New Kernel 4.15.18-041518 "unsupported"?

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

I'm glad you did too because it was in Update Manager that I noticed the unsupported because I don't think ukuu showed that! I appreciate all the help from everyone and I'm marking this one solved.

Return to “Newbie Questions”