Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
scw189
Level 1
Level 1

Libre Office - Calc Unwanted interaction with Firefox

Post by scw189 »

I just discovered some type of interaction between Firefox and Libre Office -Calc. If you leave a spreadsheet open in the background and you go do a Google search (under Firefox) and your search process involves a cut and paste (cntrl C/ cntrl V) operation, what ever is in the paste buffer get also pasted into the open spreadsheet in what seems like random locations. This happened previously to me and a spreadsheet was corrupted with some text that I knew that I had previously searched for. The spreadsheet can be corrected by replacing the data that was overwritten. But, you have to notice it first and then find all occurrences of it that were planted in the spreadsheet.

I just tested this and it is very repeatable (using a blank spreadsheet). Every time you do a control-V more text copies are added to the background spreadsheet. This seems like a serious problem that should be corrected ASAP.

Kadaitcha Man
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Libre Office - Calc Unwanted interaction with Firefox

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

scw189 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:15 pm
This seems like a serious problem that should be corrected ASAP.
I can't reproduce it. Create a new user account and repeat your tests using that account. If everything is ok then it's something in your settings.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

scw189
Level 1
Level 1

Post by scw189 »

Forgot to mention the version of Linux Mint. It's 19.3

Ok, so I created a new Administrator user and rebooted and logged in as the new user. I opened a blank spreadsheet and left the cursor at cell A1. I left the spreadsheet open in the background. I then opened Google and entered a search text, selected the text and pressed control-C. Then pressed control-V and pasted a copy of the text immediately after the text that I first entered. I then went to the spreadsheet and now there was two copies of the cut and pasted text. One copy was in cell E30, another in E42. I then used the mouse scroll wheel to scroll down the sheet and then back up the sheet. Now there are more copies of the same text in new cells G16 and F35. I scrolled down and back up again and now there are more copies in additional cells F140 and F236.

So, there was no real change with a different user. What possible settings are you referring to that could cause the system to do what it is doing?? Is it true that the system only has one shared cut/past buffer? Maybe I will just uninstall Libre Office and re-install. I just can't imagine how there could be this "automatic" interaction between Google and Libre Office!?

dorsetUK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dorsetUK »

Hi scw189

As with Kadaitcha Man, I can't reproduce your problem either.
scw189 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:17 pm
Ok, so I created a new Administrator user ...
Could I ask why you created an Administrator user?

Cheers, Jon.

nakednorman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nakednorman »

Also unable to reproduce the problem here:
Using LM19.3 Cinnamon with LibreOffice 6.4.0.3 from an AppImage.
Instead of having Calc open during your cut & paste, what happens if you have a Writer Document open instead?
Or have xed open in the background and try that?

MrEen
Level 19
Level 19

Post by MrEen »

Another test that might be useful. Simply highlight the text, but don't press Ctrl-C, now middle click where you want the text pasted. Does that also leak into Calc?

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

And it only happens when you do a search on Google? What about other search engines (Bing, Duckduckgo, etc)?
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

scw189 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:15 pm
I just discovered some type of interaction between Firefox and Libre Office -Calc. If you leave a spreadsheet open in the background and you go do a Google search (under Firefox) and your search process involves a cut and paste (cntrl C/ cntrl V) operation, what ever is in the paste buffer get also pasted into the open spreadsheet in what seems like random locations. This happened previously to me and a spreadsheet was corrupted with some text that I knew that I had previously searched for. The spreadsheet can be corrected by replacing the data that was overwritten. But, you have to notice it first and then find all occurrences of it that were planted in the spreadsheet.

I just tested this and it is very repeatable (using a blank spreadsheet). Every time you do a control-V more text copies are added to the background spreadsheet. This seems like a serious problem that should be corrected ASAP.
I am unable to recreate what you just described.
I opened up Calc with a blank sheet, highlighted a lot of text in Firefox, and pasted it into Ted.

Calc didn't do anything.

then I opened new tab in Firefox, and pasted into a post to a different forum.
Calc did not respond.

.I did the same with a Google Search, highlight, copied, pasted into a forum, and TED.
calc was not effected.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

scw189
Level 1
Level 1

Post by scw189 »

Doing more tests. I discover this is not a Libre Office problem, it is a mouse problem. I have a 5 button mouse (two normal mouse "top" buttons, two "side" buttons and the fifth button is clicking the scroll wheel. When ever you click the scroll wheel, the system does a "paste" operation of whatever is in the cut/paste buffer. It doesn't matter if you are in the word processor, spreadsheet or even the terminal app.

When I scrolled thru the spreadsheet I was inadvertently pressing the scroll wheel hard enough to activate the scroll wheel switch, causing the "unwanted text" to appear.

But, I still view this as a problem. I looked through the Preferences for the mouse, keyboard and accessibility and found no way to alter the way a scroll click works.

Then I Googled "middle button mouse paste" and found the smoking gun! There is an article on Stack Exchange about this very issue. It says "Middle-click to insert selection is fundamentally part of the way X11 works". Aha, I do have X11 installed so I can administer a couple of other machines.

Stack Exchange offered this solution:

They say this solution will work globally and preserve the middle mouse functionality.

Install xbindkeys xsel xdotool

Place this in ~/.xbindkeysrc

"echo -n | xsel -n -i; pkill xbindkeys; xdotool click 2; xbindkeys"
b:2 + Release

Reload xbindkeys -p

Run xbindkeys on startup, pkill xbindkeys to stop

I believe that I will try this solution. But, perhaps this issue could be referred to the group that maintains the X11 app for a more elegant solution that could be integrated within Linux Mint?

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

get a "good mouse" :)

the LogiTech M510 has been my favorite for years.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

gittiest personITW
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gittiest personITW »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:17 am

M510, why wouldn't anyone have one?
Its the only reason I use the computer so I have an excuse to caress the M510.

scw189
Level 1
Level 1

Post by scw189 »

I'm not sure if the last comment is 'tongue-in-cheek' or is the advise really not to use 5 button mice with LM?

gittiest personITW
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gittiest personITW »

It depends if you 'need' or 'want' 5 buttons or just happen to have that mouse lying around.
If the latter, I'd get a simple mouse.

If the former, then look at the following post - its a bit old but is might lead you to the right track.
viewtopic.php?t=216989

scw189
Level 1
Level 1

Post by scw189 »

I really don't need or want anything more than a mouse with left and right buttons plus a scroll wheel. The problem is that all four of the mice I have all have a middle button switch associated with the scroll wheel. So, now I have to be very careful scrolling thru an email, spreadsheet or text document. If I accidentally press too hard while scrolling, I get a bonus feature of "pasting while scrolling". Just too dangerous. I really just want to disable the scroll wheel button in the OS.

I did find a posting to do this with a terminal command:

xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 25 3 4 5 6 7 8 9" which does work, no more pasting text from the copy buffer with the scroll wheel. However, the effect of this command is not persistent. It says I need to edit .xmodmap to add the above command. However, I cannot yet locate this hidden file. I don't even know if it's included in LM 19.3.

MrEen
Level 19
Level 19

Post by MrEen »

Other possibilities:

XMousePasteBlock

I also think gnome-tweak-tool can disable the middle click paste. This might be available in the Software Manager (it is on my 18.3 install.)

Most likely, you create the .xmodmap file yourself in your home directory if you want to try that.

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:17 am

My favourite too!

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

I have several 5 button "BE" (Chinese clone) rodents and never have troubles as you mention, maybe you are just a little too firm on the scroll wheel.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

lsemmens wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:20 am
I have several 5 button "BE" (Chinese clone) rodents and never have troubles as you mention, maybe you are just a little too firm on the scroll wheel.
I tested this on my mouse and if I press the scroll wheel button I get the copied text pasted, but I don't think I've ever accidentally pressed the scroll wheel so it's a non-issue for me.

Return to “Software & Applications”