web design

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
goldstar1
Level 2
Level 2

web design

Post by goldstar1 »

does anybody know a good linux mint web design program?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: web design

Post by lagagnon »

You mean web design applications for Linux - there are a few. I use and like "Bluefish" as it is simple, fast and lightweight. Try it out - use the package manager to install it.
EnthusOcn

Post by EnthusOcn »

goldstar1 wrote:does anybody know a good linux mint web design program?
Actually you might want to be a little more specific. What kind of web design program? Many people who use Linux like to do a lot of coding by hand--actually using HTML not using a WYSIWYG program. I assume you used to use a program in whatever-land you came from... PC-land? What program did you use? Suggest that and we can tell if what program is like it.
intoDesign.ca

Post by intoDesign.ca »

lagagnon wrote:You mean web design applications for Linux - there are a few. I use and like "Bluefish" as it is simple, fast and lightweight. Try it out - use the package manager to install it.
I will second Bluefish. You may also want to have a go at gPHPEdit if you are interested in doing some backend coding.
borgio3

Post by borgio3 »

Hi, if you don't like a textual editor, you can try Kompozer that's a WYSIWYG (What You See IS What You Get) editor.
I use Bluefish since my first Linux operating system. Also Quanta+ is a good editor textual/WYSIWYG, but tailored for KDE.

There are also Screem, and Amaya (recommended by W3C).

Ciao :-)
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

+1 for Kompozer and Quanta+
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
generaltomfoolery

Post by generaltomfoolery »

I'm used to using Dreamweaver and want to know what my options are when I move over to Mint.

I mostly hand code (and like the suggestions as I type), need built in file manager and a quick upload shortcut (In dreamweaver it's Ctrl+Shift+U)

Any recommendations?

Thank you
terrorblader

Post by terrorblader »

Hy!
I recommend you give Netbeans a try - it has some built-in html completition and a style builder , file browser is built in , but it is project based, and you can upload files through ftp with it , didn't see a shortcut but i think you can make one.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

GEdit

:lol:

-DataMan
MaxK

Post by MaxK »

I will add my vote for the Bluefish and Kompozer recommendations above. I switch back and forth between them.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

I've had good experiences with Kompozer and NetBeans, though nowadays I only ever use gedit. Then again I build almost all the website I do in Drupal so I have little use for an IDE as most all of the coding is simply tweaking a few css and php files.
Arenalgarden

Post by Arenalgarden »

Kendall wrote:I've had good experiences with Kompozer and NetBeans, though nowadays I only ever use gedit. Then again I build almost all the website I do in Drupal so I have little use for an IDE as most all of the coding is simply tweaking a few css and php files.
Holy Macintrash !!! They have internet in Asheville ?
I'm old. All I remember was water snakes and trout. :cry:
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Arenalgarden wrote:Holy Macintrash !!! They have internet in Asheville ?
I'm old. All I remember was water snakes and trout. :cry:
Not to dive farther off topic or anything, but Asheville has become quite the booming tech market in recent years. All sorts of good things happening.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

Pick one of the CMS packages mentioned above and install on your LAMP server. Each CMS is supported by a rich environment of assistance to get you started.

-DataMan
chi-kitory

Post by chi-kitory »

There is also vim and your personal skills. That always works out the best in the end! ^_^
I used Quanta, it was okay but i personally like the ability to program everything your self. and refresh your browser every update!
w2ibc

Post by w2ibc »

DataMan wrote:Pick one of the CMS packages mentioned above and install on your LAMP server. Each CMS is supported by a rich environment of assistance to get you started.

-DataMan
having a local LAMP server is gold.

for a CMS check out ravennuke. its not bad.
BrianHay

Post by BrianHay »

I am a big fan of ocPortal and use it to develop locally in Mint. http://ocportal.com/start.htm Check out the learn more page for the feature list.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”