skype in linux?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
optimize me

Re: skype in linux?

Post by optimize me »

Skype is available for Linux, and you can find it right in the repos. They also have a PPA available if you want the latest/greatest version.

In my opinion, Skype on Linux is a total embarrassment, and it's one of the few reasons I keep Windows installed in my hard drive at all.

You should be able to install it no problem and get it to run easy enough.

Getting it to work right is another story: I've never had a version of Linux (including Mint, unfortunately) that automatically switched off my laptop speakers when I plugged in my headphones, and enabling that feature always required downloading and compiling new versions of my sound drivers and modifying several system config files, even though this is default, everyday, common hardware. Getting the microphone to be recognized always takes a little effort, but it can be done without any downloading or compiling.

Then the quality of the Linux Skype application comes into play. It's not as feature-rich as versions for Windows. I have problems with calls being dropped, with sound quality (both incoming and outgoing), and problems with video cutting in & out at random times.

When I boot up Windows, there are no extra downloads, no new drivers to install, no lengthy configuration process... My headphones are detected and the laptop speakers are muted automatically; the microphone is detected and the sound level meter (yes, Windows Skype has a sound level meter) automatically adjusts to compensate for any background noise, thus improving my call quality; calls rarely (if ever) drop; video is crisp and clear and fully configurable - everything just works®.

Skype has been a sore spot for me for quite some time. As an American living abroad and using VOIP to keep in touch with my family back home, I feel very let down by the level of development that goes into Skype for Linux. It's currently at version 2.0.72, and there hasn't even been an update to it since June 16th of 2008! Windows Skype is on version 4.1.0.136 and that just got released a little over a month ago.

I'm sorry to say it, but this is one of a very few instances where I would advocate Windows use.

Others, I'm sure, have better experience than I have had, but I'm just an average guy running an average laptop with an Intel processor, Realtek sound, and standard USB accessories available at any computer shack.

Maybe get some second opinions, maybe try it for yourself and see how it works for you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Skype for linux does have a few issues, but they're nowhere near bad enough to recommend windows use. You can install it from the recommended applications screen in mintInstall. If you have problems with the sound, try installing the skype-static package in synaptic, which has solved many problems for many users. The different version numbers between the linux and windows versions do not mean a thing, since they seem to be two separately developed projects, but yes the linux project is behind the the windows one. optimize me: I think you've just had a bad experience with linux skype (which is unsurprising in a proprietary product on linux)
leo5111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by leo5111 »

skype static is much better the other skype, randomly id go to make a call and find my audio setup was back to default had to set it again, installed skype static, problem gone :D

Return to “Software & Applications”