LMDE3 updated iso

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
topolinik

LMDE3 updated iso

Post by topolinik »

I'm a happy user of LMDE3 and I'm very excited as I hear there is work ongoing to LMDE4.

Anyway, LMDE3 is still my preferred choice for any case where I need a live distro or I want to create a fast and reliable OS into a virtual machine.
Now, as time goes by, new bugs are fixed and both Mint & Debian guys happily release new packages, making my home PC updated and safe.
BUT when it comes to my iso, it is still the same as it was in middle of 2018 and it has NOT the updates I get into my everyday PC.

Is there a way to integrate updated packages into the installation media image and get a fresh LMDE3?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: LMDE3 updated iso

Post by Fred Barclay »

Hi @topolink,
Not that I'm aware of, short of completely rebuilding the iso image yourself. That said, IIRC Clem and co did release an updated LMDE 2 iso at some point, so it's not impossible that they'd do the same for LMDE 3. Honestly though with LMDE 4 so close I wouldn't expect this.
Cheers!
Fred
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
murdokkk2525

Post by murdokkk2525 »

That would be a wasted effort. The LMDE4, even in Beta, is pretty much ready for prime time. Chill a couple weeks for the grand final-ly and do a fresh install.If you're a tweaker ? install the beta and tweak it yourself.
Install it beside the 3 in a different partition and install boot to the 4 during install, later you can wipe out the 3 when you're sure 4 is perfect for your setup.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

topolinik wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:15 am I'm a happy user of LMDE3 and I'm very excited as I hear there is work ongoing to LMDE4.

Anyway, LMDE3 is still my preferred choice for any case where I need a live distro or I want to create a fast and reliable OS into a virtual machine.
Now, as time goes by, new bugs are fixed and both Mint & Debian guys happily release new packages, making my home PC updated and safe.
BUT when it comes to my iso, it is still the same as it was in middle of 2018 and it has NOT the updates I get into my everyday PC.

Is there a way to integrate updated packages into the installation media image and get a fresh LMDE3?
The way I understand topolinks' question, it will continue to be a valid question even after he has updated to LMDE4. In fact, it is also valid for the Ubuntu based version. Give he changes to LMDE4 and is pleased with the results the same concern will be present in a month, 6 months, or a year as long as the dev team has not created an updated iso. Living in an area without broadband service other than MIFI based (cellular) or satellite (Hughesnet, etc) I can understand the desire to not continually download the same updated packages time and again.

In the past, Remastersys was used to build a custom iso from the installed distro. There are several forks of the project. Some seem to be specific for Ubuntu base systems (Pinguy Builder) and there are those for other distros (LinuxRespin and Refracta). Likewise there are several tools (Clonezilla, Systembackup, etc) to create backup images of the current system. These images can be installed to another computer. Any of these give you a custom iso as current as your system in use.

A third option are the tools that allow you to build your own custom distro from the iso file of choice. With these you add the packages of your choice. This type of tool would only be as up to date as the iso and added packages you choose.

Of all of the above, Clonezilla is the only one I have employed. (There are others in each category I have not mentioned. Not all of the options seem to be upto date.) I used Clonezilla images as backups for a specific computer and therefore had no concerns about config files and personal information that carried over. I don't know if some of the tools that build an iso from the current system transmit personal info to the created iso.

Return to “Software & Applications”