Can't Adjust LCD Backlight on Laptop

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lagagnon

Re: Can't Adjust LCD Backlight on Laptop

Post by lagagnon »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
uilenspiegel

Post by uilenspiegel »

I'm running mint gloria on an old Dell Latitude C640, but I had the same problem --- brightness was stuck at100%, and neither power settings nor brightness slider affect the actual level of brightness at all.

So I followed the link supplied by lagagnon above, and tried the various things there; I was able to download xbacklight, but the actual commands to set up the backlight control failed.

However I found another clever trick elsewhere in the forum (I've lost track of it now or I'd link) that works great for me:

1. switch to terminal with CTRL-ALT-F1
2. use your laptop's normal brightness keys to adjust brightness --- they will work now
3. switch back out of terminal with CTRL-ALT-F7

I suspect that this will work for a lot of different hardware. Good luck ---
hernando

Post by hernando »

The solution brought by lagagnon is the best one.

Code: Select all

xrandr --output LVDS --set BACKLIGHT_CONTROL native
To make this run on every restart:
You have to go to System > Preferences > Startup Application Preferences.
Then Click on add. For the name, call it Screen Brightness (or anything you want) and put the code under command. The restart and check if it worked.
The only thing I noticed is that if you leave the laptop without doing anything for a while, the screen start to darken, like starting the energy saver. After to touch any key, the brightness does not return to original brightness.
kate

Post by kate »

hernando wrote:The solution brought by lagagnon is the best one.

Code: Select all

xrandr --output LVDS --set BACKLIGHT_CONTROL native
To make this run on every restart:
You have to go to System > Preferences > Startup Application Preferences.
Then Click on add. For the name, call it Screen Brightness (or anything you want) and put the code under command. The restart and check if it worked.
The only thing I noticed is that if you leave the laptop without doing anything for a while, the screen start to darken, like starting the energy saver. After to touch any key, the brightness does not return to original brightness.
This didn't work for me... any other suggestions?
(Dell Studio 15 Series)
uilenspiegel

Post by uilenspiegel »

kate wrote:
hernando wrote:The solution brought by lagagnon is the best one.
This didn't work for me... any other suggestions?
(Dell Studio 15 Series)
Kate,

Did you try the workaround I suggested above?

1. switch to terminal with CTRL-ALT-F1
2. use your laptop's normal brightness keys to adjust brightness --- they will work now
3. switch back out of terminal with CTRL-ALT-F7

It's not a solution in the sense of getting all your keys to work like they do in windows, but it gets you past the practical problem of not being able to dim/brighten your screen.
kate

Post by kate »

I tried that but I couldn't get the CTRL ALT F1 to cooperate. It gave me a whiny message about configuration and then when I tried to do it again to get the message, it just does a weird little flash at the very top of the screen and then no change. =/
hernando

Post by hernando »

I'm afraid that this solution is not working for Mint 8.... I just installed it, and this is the first thing I tried with no success.... :(
Let's keep looking around for a solution.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

Right click on panel, Add to Panel, Brightness Applet - I know it doesn't solve your keyboard problem but hey, it works!
hernando

Post by hernando »

Didn't work for me... :(
At full brightness my battery drain very fast...
guitar player

Post by guitar player »

Here is the solution that worked for me, it is the third post http://wwww.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1311491
kate

Post by kate »

guitar player wrote:Here is the solution that worked for me, it is the third post http://wwww.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1311491
OMG! It worked!!! It WORKED!!!!
And then I rebooted again and now it isnt working! =/
hernando

Post by hernando »

I finally tested the last solution and it really worked for me, even after rebooting !
No screen flickering, still playing videos as before...
So, I can say this solved my problem.

I have an Acer Timeline 4810 TZ with Mint 8 Helena.
kate wrote:
guitar player wrote:Here is the solution that worked for me, it is the third post http://wwww.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1311491
OMG! It worked!!! It WORKED!!!!
And then I rebooted again and now it isnt working! =/
Thank you Guitar Player!
soryuu

Post by soryuu »

BEFORE BECOMING DISCOURAGED, TRY GUITAR PLAYER'S SOLUTION. IT WORKED FOR ME!!
hernando

Freeze when adjusting LCD Backlight on Laptop

Post by hernando »

Hi, I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 (gnome) and when adjusting the Brightness (with Compiz enabled), the computer totally freezes ! Totally !
If I disable Compiz to No Effects, then it work, but not very smoothly... at least I can adjust brightnes without freezing the machine.

In Mint 9, this has happened to anyone?
Do you know of a Fix besides disabling Compiz?

I have an Acer 4810TZ.

Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”