Before you post please read how to get help
Vollfeiw
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Live boot with no csm - Asus G531GT

Post by Vollfeiw »

Hello,

I just got a laptop that need to get a linux on it, and here's the problem,

The key (seen in UEFI) can't boot, i don't even have access to the live boot, nor grub. It just instantly failed with no error.
It just send me back to boot selection or, if i launch withtout boot selector, just send me back to the current windows boot manager, wich is obviously hwat i'm trying to get rid off.

The main probleme is i used to boot with CSM support, but this bios doesn't have it, i have access to secure boot option, sata is set as ahci, fast boot obviously disabled, but no legacy / CSM, wich is kinda frustrating.

I tried to make an fresh new usb with FAT32 and GPT, just in case it was a problem, and then again, no boot.

Tried with balenaEtcher and rufus (iso and DD mode), and then the problem is still there. So i tired the same conf but with my debian iso, and boom, it works. The main thing is, I don't want to use debian.

Currently trying to install LM64 19.1 cinnamon

Is there a way to boot live usb without csm support ?
Seems to be the problem right now
Last edited by Vollfeiw on Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

asinoro
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Live boot with no csm

Post by asinoro »

Run this command and post it by copy and paste selecting the symbol </>

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz

LanceM
Level 8
Level 8

Post by LanceM »

asinoro wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:44 am

inxi -Fxz
Unless I misunderstand the OP's question, how can he run that if it won't even live boot?
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php

asinoro
Level 5
Level 5

Post by asinoro »

LanceM wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:14 pm
asinoro wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:44 am

inxi -Fxz
Unless I misunderstand the OP's question, how can he run that if it won't even live boot?
So i tired the same conf but with my debian iso, and boom, it works. The main thing is, I don't want to use debian.

pbear
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pbear »

Might have to install inxi, though. Not standard on Ubuntu. No idea about Debian.

ETA: As regards, "Is there a way to boot live usb without csm support?," yes, Mint boots fine in UEFI. Has for a long time. It even boots with secure boot enabled. So either you're burning the USB incorrectly or there's some peculiar quirk of your system. An inxi report will help with diagnosis.
Last edited by pbear on Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

LanceM
Level 8
Level 8

Post by LanceM »

Try Universal USB Installer (UUI). Disable your antivirus while creating the live boot stick on Windows. Format the stick to FAT32 with an MBR. When you select the distribution in the UUI interface, choose Mint under the ----- in the dropdown. Do not use persistence setting (the slider at the bottom). UUI download: https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal ... -as-1-2-3/
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

Vollfeiw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vollfeiw »

Hi, thanks for your answers.

I don't think i burn it incorrectly, it worked multiple ways, and it works pretty well with debian, but for any reason, it just doesn't work here so i bet the "or there's some peculiar quirk of your system". I'll try with UUI and i'll also try with 19.3 as well. If it fails, i'll go for the inxi reports.

I'll keep you up about this tomorrow.

LanceM
Level 8
Level 8

Post by LanceM »

I'll try with UUI
Let us know.

Vollfeiw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vollfeiw »

LanceM wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:49 pm
I'll try with UUI
Let us know.
I think i'm going crazy right now.

Well, it worked, at first, then for any reason, installation crashed, and system freezed, when i tried to boot again i got this :

Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\ mmx64.efi - Not Found
Failed to load image \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi: Not Found
Failed to start MokManager: Not Found
Something has gone seriously wrong:import_mok_state() failed : Not Found

So yeah, it .. changed, but it failed anyway. I also tried with 19.3, and it's the same.
I tried with both usb 2.0 and 3.0 key, but doesn't change that much. Tried to reset bios settings, disable fast boot again, but i got this error again.
If i tried to rename Bootx64 to mmx64, i get the same error than before (cf. boot manager getting back over and over). I'll try to get an inxi reports when i'll have the time.

EDIT : did a try with a parted magic iso, seems to fail somewhere too, live 64 / 32 and running from ram appears to "break" somewhere, it starts but screen doesn't work. I'm starting to think that this laptop doesn't really "like" live boot.
As this will probably take some time, i'm installing debian for the moment, i'll install inxi if it's not on the main package, then i'll try again with mint later. I just need to know if Debian installation can complete or if it will fail like mint did.

LanceM
Level 8
Level 8

Post by LanceM »

If Debian fails, you might consider hardware failure. Hard drive, memory, and such.

pbear
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pbear »

Vollfeiw wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:33 am
FWIW, there have been a number of threads on the MokManager problem lately. I'm wondering whether there's more than one bug, cf. this one, as the symptoms aren't uniform, nor are the solutions.
  • In my case (HP notebook with Insyde UEFI, F.48), I couldn't boot a live session or a known-good full install USB, even with secure boot disabled; ended up reflashing the firmware. bheney's experience was similar.
  • In this thread (translated), Laurent85 suggests copying in a good bootloader to replace the corrupted one, no follow-up to indicate whether it worked. OTOH sladyrko reports success with that strategy, which he/she found on Reddit (no link).
  • isyourfridgerunning re-selected grub as an UEFI file trusted for executing. Apollo_richard solved the problem on an Acer by clearing the EFI key (how done not explained).
  • tszkitc installed Mint 19.2, then upgraded to 19.3 (suggests bug might be specific to 19.3).
And there are a few threads with no reported resolution: ers1; stevev01; AndruWho; TheMintyOne.
Last edited by pbear on Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vollfeiw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vollfeiw »

LanceM wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:39 pm
Vollfeiw wrote:
FWIW, there have been a number of threads on the MokManager problem lately. I'm wondering whether there's more than one bug, cf. this one, as the symptoms aren't uniform, nor are the solutions.
  • In my case (HP notebook with Insyde UEFI, F.48), I couldn't boot a live session or a known-good full install USB, even with secure boot disabled; ended up reflashing the firmware. bheney's experience was similar.
  • In this thread (translated), Laurent85 suggests copying in a good bootloader to replace the corrupted one, no follow-up to indicate whether it worked. OTOH sladyrko reports success with that strategy, which he/she found on Reddit (no link).
  • isyourfridgerunning re-selected grub as an UEFI file trusted for executing. Apollo_richard solved the problem on an Acer by clearing the EFI key (how done not explained).
  • tszkitc installed Mint 19.2, then upgraded to 19.3 (suggests bug might be specific to 19.3).
And there are a few threads with no reported resolution: ers1, stevev01, AndruWho.
I already tried to flash the firmware with latest release, didn't change. I'll try some of the other possible solution, i'll keep a track of what i will try tomorrow.
For debian, it was looking great before battery dies .. i'll reformat the drive, and flash everything before trying everythin.

pbear
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pbear »

Vollfeiw wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:46 pm
I already tried to flash the firmware with latest release, didn't change.
With the firmware freshly flashed, try installing with secure boot disabled. After installation, you can re-enable secure boot, if you like.

Vollfeiw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vollfeiw »

Ok so here's an update
pbear wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:54 pm
With the firmware freshly flashed, try installing with secure boot disabled. After installation, you can re-enable secure boot, if you like.
That's exactly what i got in mind, and i tried that. And it seems to be working, and this time, i made all partition before launching install, and it is currently installing. I'll make a quick update wether it worked or not but i think it will now.

So, first of all thanks help for the help.

So :

At first, i got an error without error message, getting me back to bios / Windows boot manager / boot selection depending on how i tried to boot on it.

Sarting conf :
- BIOS G531GT (asus) v304
- Linux mint 19.1 iso

With :
- Updated bios to version 305
- Used UUI (don't think that was the problem to be honest)
- Used 19.3 iso instead of 19.1

It worked, but then fails when partitioning from Linux Mint installation, then i got the new error
Vollfeiw wrote:
I guess this error was caused by the "installation fail", i just reflashed my bios, and disabled fast boot and secure boot, then it worked.

I'll keep you updated after installation is done, and will give info about my "starting" config.

EDIT:
It works perfectly, drivers are working correctly, can boot easily. I'll try to boot on other live boot to see if everything is fine but this is another problem.
I guess the firmware was the problem in both situation but i'm not 100%. Asus had the great idea to force the firmware flash, and the first update wasn't really planned.

Return to “Installation & Boot”