[SOLVED] 19.3 wont go live with USB

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linux_trojan
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] 19.3 wont go live with USB

Post by linux_trojan »

I am trying to install 19.3 with USB but the live session never comes up. The computer just reboots over and over.

Any suggestions on alternative ways to install? commandline? FTP?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LanceM

Re: 19.3 wont go live with USB

Post by LanceM »

How exactly did you make the live USB bootable device?
linux_trojan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux_trojan »

I downloaded the ISO then I right click on it and selected "make bootable usb stick" or something like that. I forgot the exact phrasing.
Gruppo Sportivo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Gruppo Sportivo »

linux_trojan wrote:I am trying to install 19.3 with USB but the live session never comes up. The computer just reboots over and over
Read the instructions on this installation guide.Boot Linux Mint
https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... hoose.html
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

linux_trojan wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:33 am I downloaded the ISO then I right click on it and selected "make bootable usb stick" or something like that. I forgot the exact phrasing.
Okay, so you used Mint to make the stick. Now you need to use the motherboard's boot menu to select the correct boot device, either that or change the boot order in the boot options in the motherboard settings. You can also check the integrity of that iso by right clicking it and check sha256sum with the list here: https://mirrors.evowise.com/linuxmint/s ... 256sum.txt
linux_trojan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux_trojan »

I did checksum and that proves out ok. The only reason I want to reinstall 19.3 is because something happened to Firefox. Its a little sticky when pulling up a page and some pages do not render properly. Not really a big deal but it is getting on my nerves.

I used Synaptic to uninstall then reinstall Firefox but the rendering problem is still there. Is there a way I can just manually wipe out Firefox and start all over clean with the program.

The only other option I can think of is to uninstall Firefox with Synaptic then download it from Mozilla and install it from Tarball. Past experience tells me that the executable when installing this way will be in a different folder from what probably Mint intended. What do you think, is download straight from Mozilla a viable option?
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

Uninstall Firefox with synaptic, then open your Home folder and enable seeing hidden files with your keyboard CTRL + H
Look for and delete the folder .mozilla
Run

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
in the Terminal
Then reinstall Firefox with Synaptic.
linux_trojan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux_trojan »

ok, I will do this when I work up enough guts. I know that all my saved passwords and bookmarks will get erased. So, I need some time to work up the nerve.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

linux_trojan wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:17 pm ok, I will do this when I work up enough guts. I know that all my saved passwords and bookmarks will get erased. So, I need some time to work up the nerve.
You can have Firefox sync them. It's in the preferences under security. That way you just log in and they all come back.
Otherwise you can export your bookmarks and put them back in.
linux_trojan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux_trojan »

I guess you are referring to the bookmarks only. Passwords are all wiped, right?
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

Passwords can be synced if you choose that setting in Firefox.
linux_trojan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux_trojan »

Success. That worked out pretty well. The rendering of pages is perfect now. Was previously driving me crazy. The passwords didnt seem to come up; but I can live with that. Thanks.

Return to “Installation & Boot”